What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ic hydrohut "tent" grow club

how it be every one :wave:
i took some pix last night i wanted to share them with you all and see what you think I'm at 47 days of flowering!!! thanks for taking a look..

the tent

purple kush

romulan diesel

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
I Have a Homebox 39"x39"x78" (3ft 3in x 3ft 3in x 6ft 6in) and i love it.

I use an E&F table (made for the nutramist, as a standard 3x3 table will not fit inside the tent). under the table, are two 14Gal Rubbermaid containers, one sitting inside the other. If i fill the inner container, up to the height of the outer container, i end up with 10Gal.

My water pump is overkill at 600gph, but considering I have it pumping through an inline particle filter, and the container level is almost 2 feet above the pump, I like the bigger pump. I also constantly aerate the reservoir with an airstone and airpump.
I use 100% chunky coco, normally in 2.5-3gal square pots. water 15min 3x per light period.

I use a sunspot 6 reflector, with a 600w Super Hortilux, powered by an elux electronic ballast. I also lined the inside of the tent with Ultraflect reflective material. The ultraflect is simlar to mylar, only easyer to work with, and is something like 97% refective. I never wore sunglasses while looking in the tent, until i hung the ultrafect.

I cool everything with a Stanley Blower fan, sitting on top of the tent.
I also have two fans to circulate air, sitting in adjacent corners, blowing across the tent, at container height.

I think its something like 7.6A when everything is running.

I love my tent.

Rosy Cheeks said:
I don't want to be condescending to new ideas and alternative solutions, it's all great, but... those dual bulb hoods are far from an ideal solution IMO. First of all, you want to spread your light source(s) as evenly as possible over a designated area. Meaning that if you - as an example - have a 6'X6' area with two 600w bulbs as lighting, then you should place those two lights in a way that the entire canopy gets more or less the same amount of lumens. This is not going to happen if those two bulbs are lumped together, even with the best of reflectors. You will have to space out between the bulbs in order to get a good light spread.
Secondly, HID bulbs produce a lot of heat, and that heat is the main factor that reduces the life span of a bulb. Two bulbs stuck together that close increases heat tear and wear, the bulbs actually kill eachother, and to counter that you'll have to boost ventilation.
The nose to nose solution is the best one if you have to squeeze two bulbs into one hood, because the bulbs radiate sideways, and the light/heat output is minimal at the nose.
The side by side solution is simply not recommendable as a set-up. Sorry.

Oh, and $800 for a hood is pure robbery, unless it comes fully equipped with bulbs, ventilation system, carbon scrubbers and a high class hooker that gives great body oil massage. Seems like just about everyone wants to stick their hands deep into growers' pockets nowadays.

im actually growing in a small area 3x3.5 and im trying to get as many watts / sq ft as possible. the $800 is for a dual digital 600watt ballast, the hood, and 2 600 watt hps lamps, if i were to buy everything seperate it would be about the same price. would it matter if they are side by side, or should they be end to end? thanks for your response.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Ok, got it. I don't know what a dollar is worth today so perhaps it's a good deal.

What I said is what I stand by. The importance of an even lightspread is that all plants (and all parts of a plant) receive more or less the same amount of lumens. This will increase the number of bud sites and in the end your yield. Having a single light source means that the amount of lux (the actual lumens that reach the canopy) will be great right under the lamp and weak the further you get away from it. You use reflectors and reflecting walls to distribute the light more evenly, but it will not work as great as if you use multiple light sources that hit the plants with direct light from different angles.

Therefore, having two light sources stuck together is less efficient than two light sources spread out over the designated area, in relation to what you're trying to achieve (bigger yield). You can use two moderate sized reflectors on a 3X3.5 area.

As I said, heat is always a problem with HID lights, and the heat kills the lighting mechanism within the bulb. The cooler you're able to keep your bulbs, the longer they last, it's the same thing with cables, ballasts and most electric appliances. Keeping two bulbs side by side exposes them to double heat (their own and the other bulb) and therefore decreases bulb life. You will have to boost ventilation to keep temps down, which can be a bitch, even with air conditioning. It is also important to the plants. Temperatures are never the same right under the lamp as in the corner of the growroom, so by dispersing the heat sources in the growroom you get a more 'even' temperature, the same for all plants.

As I said, if you want to use two lights and put them under one hood, the end by end solution is the smartest, for the reasons stated. I believe Texas Kid's priority is the dual spectrum (HPS and MH light together) which is why he lumped the lights together, but I would personally still place them end to end and rather than side by side and rotate the plants around the lights regularly. It's doable on a small surface.

To tell you honestly, I think a single 600w light on a 3X3.5 area is enough. If you want a superior light spectrum, use a 600w bulb with reinforced blue spectrum, and use a digital ballast (that will 'up' your light output to what a 800w - 900w bulb would produce with a magnetic ballast) to get that extra yield you're dreaming of.

Last edited:

Texas Kid

Rosy Cheeks said:
. I believe Texas Kid's priority is the dual spectrum (HPS and MH light together) which is why he lumped the lights together, but I would personally still place them end to end and rather than side by side and rotate the plants around the lights regularly. It's doable on a small surface.

To tell you honestly, I think a single 600w light on a 3X3.5 area is enough. If you want a superior light spectrum, use a 600w bulb with reinforced blue spectrum, and use a digital ballast (that will 'up' your light output to what a 800w - 900w bulb would produce with a magnetic ballast) to get that extra yield you're dreaming of.

I didn't do it to achive a mixed light spectrum, quite the contrary, I actually bought the hood to run (2)600w HPS lamps end to end in one hood that would still fit in a Hydrohut "mini" 3x3 tent. Regardless of what ya think, one 600w HPS doesn't not even remotely give you the same results as two, been there done that in as many combinations as you could imagine, 600/400, 400/400, 600/600, standard bulbs Philips, Sylvania, GE, eye hortilux, eye hortilux blue, Eye hortilux Super HPS, Hilux, and now we are playing with specific color spectrum CMH that are available in 3000k, 4000k, 4200k, 6400k, and 10000k lamps from Sun Pulse in order to really tune the usable spectrum for the plants. I only did the the dual spectrum in this setup as an experiment to see one way or the other if I could see any difference...I did notice one difference...deminished yields and reduced bud density and shorter onset of flowering..

The only thing I might do different would be to get 1000watters to cut down on my ballast count, hood cost, and heat buildup..plus I can run the new Hortilux Super Blue Dual arch with a 3000k color and 110,000 luen output. I think this cuts my heat down significantly and is easier to make up the ballast/timer racks plus the Yield Master II hoods that I am going to use are pretty cheap now.

Oh yea, rotating plants works good for a very short while but they get way to unruley after a few weeks and your not goin to be takin them in and out of the grow space and moving to another position on the table, it just turns into a bitch..

Tex

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
I pretty much agree with you, the more wattage you put in the more bud you get, in theory. You can go above 600w on that surface and get better results. Personally, I've set my wattage in relation to what I will have to do in order to keep my space cooled. I run two 600w lights on digital ballasts in a sealed room, and my a/c can barely keep up in the summer months, so that's where I set my limit. I don't need to go higher, concidering what I can get out of a well-planned grow.
Each man goes his own way to find the way of growing that suits him. You've experimented a lot with lighting and that's great, personally my way of growing is not the same today as it was three years ago, and in another three years I hope it to have evolved further. It's all great posting about it because we learn from eachother's trials.
I rotate my plants because I have this natural desire to fondle my ladies :D

Texas Kid

I too would love to rotate my plants right up till the end they just get to big to do so with damaging the outter braches, they just hang all over and fall about...they are crambed in there. Next round I am only running 9 plants in the same space.

I have been runnin (6)600w, (2)400w, a pile of flouro's, and a 6 bulb t-5 in the same space that is roughly 10x10 room and it works great, ya just gotta get the heat outt there...I pull straight through the hoods and into the scrubber in the attic. i am about to add a seperate scrubber mounted up in the corner top of the cieling for some additional air and humidity control

I feel ya on the heat, I am in Texas so we get 100 degrees in the shade most of the summer, so the summer setup is a little different for me, just about done with the conversion now...pics comin

Tex

cheapstar

Howdy, You guys have me inspired! 4x4 Homebox with 400watt HPS Can fan 175cfm and can 2600 filter. Beats the crap out of any closet as far as removing heat. I'm usually totally cheap, but these things are really cool. It took about 5 minutes to put up and with the cost of Panda film it seems like a bargain, when you factor your time and effort into the equation.

A 2x2 econojet fits in with plenty of room left over for a few plants in soil spread around the corners. The temps amazingly, are within 2 to 4 degrees from the room its in. Awesome. I'm want in!

cheapstar said:
Howdy, You guys have me inspired! 4x4 Homebox with 400watt HPS Can fan 175cfm and can 2600 filter. Beats the crap out of any closet as far as removing heat. I'm usually totally cheap, but these things are really cool. It took about 5 minutes to put up and with the cost of Panda film it seems like a bargain, when you factor your time and effort into the equation.

A 2x2 econojet fits in with plenty of room left over for a few plants in soil spread around the corners. The temps amazingly, are within 2 to 4 degrees from the room its in. Awesome. I'm want in!

sounds like a nice setup cheapstar post some pix.

ShroomDr

CartoonHead
Veteran
ShroomDr said:
I Have a Homebox 39"x39"x78" (3ft 3in x 3ft 3in x 6ft 6in) and i love it.

I use an E&F table (made for the nutramist, as a standard 3x3 table will not fit inside the tent). under the table, are two 14Gal Rubbermaid containers, one sitting inside the other. If i fill the inner container, up to the height of the outer container, i end up with 10Gal.

My water pump is overkill at 600gph, but considering I have it pumping through an inline particle filter, and the container level is almost 2 feet above the pump, I like the bigger pump. I also constantly aerate the reservoir with an airstone and airpump.
I use 100% chunky coco, normally in 2.5-3gal square pots. water 15min 3x per light period.

I use a sunspot 6 reflector, with a 600w Super Hortilux, powered by an elux electronic ballast. I also lined the inside of the tent with Ultraflect reflective material. The ultraflect is simlar to mylar, only easyer to work with, and is something like 97% refective. I never wore sunglasses while looking in the tent, until i hung the ultrafect.

I cool everything with a Stanley Blower fan, sitting on top of the tent.
I also have two fans to circulate air, sitting in adjacent corners, blowing across the tent, at container height.

I think its something like 7.6A when everything is running.

I love my tent.

Here is the electrical close up. I hung the three surge protectors with zip ties, to a lightwieght metal grid (hung to the tent poles, again with zipties).
having 3 is complete overkill, but i wanted to have both circulation fans controlled by one switch. I intally had the exaust fan, and the ballast on the middle surge protector, controlled by a timer, (but i moved the fan off the timer), The other timer is for the water pump.

And here is the table, during my last cleaning. You can only see one fan, but like i mentioned before, there is one in the corner under the electrical setup.
You can also barely see the ballast hanging above the reflector.

Last edited:

imushdream

Anyone know what type of coco coir the Texas kid is using? Doesn't look normal. Also for the nutes is he applying H3ad's GH 6/9 regiment to a flood table?

L

Luv2Blaze

My veggies Homebox L

veggies2.jpg

veggies.jpg

3 x3 ebb&flow

2 eggplants, 2 types of tomatoes, 3 types of peppers.