What's new

i hate my dwc and wanna go back to soil, should i?

deviant1

well like the tittle says,I hate my dwc, everything that can go wrong will and has, so I hate it. I don't wann give up on hydro, jus want something with less problems getn through veg. im at 52 days veg and they are only 6-7'' tall and have lost roots 4 time now, wtf? I think im gonna go back to soil, but I really don't want to do that, any ideas or suggestions for me and my problem with dwc?

S

Sir_Nugget

DWC is bullshit... I mean it can be good, but if u live and sleep with ur grow in an apartment or house, dwc can be a pain... The pumps are loud, the bubbling noise is loud, the extra electricity cost.. The temperatures must stay between 70 and 75.. With foxfarm soil, im yielding as much as i was with dwc.. I water with ro water, every other watering I add nutes (maxibloom or grow) They grow like crazy in soil.. If u have no way to keep ur res temps low, soil is the way..

Plus with DWC, it only takes about 10 seconds for your entire root system to die, if the roots r sitting in stagnant water with the pump off. UIt could be really easy to killllll your plants

deviant1

that's jus it, I've tried everything. my temps are holding between 63F-70F, so im pretty sure its not temp. unless you can have too cold. I also am doin a small dwc only 10 gallon rubbermaid(filled with 6 gallon solution) and im jus using the lucas formula. plus I have great seeds, I have ghs cheese and ghs alaskan ice goin right now. each one in it own 10 gallon tub. so what's wrong anymore ideas? or does dwc jus really suck?

I love my RDWC its so easy will never go back.Im growing some of the biggest plants I ever had.My dirt goes down the drain.I get new dirt from the tap what could be better.Whats your EC/PH .Dont trust a PH meter use sunleaves drops.

Sam the Caveman

Good'n Greasy
Veteran
Sounds like your rez temps are too low. Try 70-75F.

If you don't like your DWC, try Hempy Buckets, its the easiest hydro set up I've seen.

S

Sir_Nugget

This change ur mind? foxfarm ocean forest.. hand watered.. light GH nutes with RO

This plant was vegged for a week.. flowered under 600w

deviant1

yes sir nugget, that's what im going to get ff ocean forrest soil, was told it is great stuff. btw your girls look great how far in to flowing are you?

DWC is bullshit... I mean it can be good, but if u live and sleep with ur grow in an apartment or house, dwc can be a pain... The pumps are loud, the bubbling noise is loud, the extra electricity cost.. The temperatures must stay between 70 and 75.. With foxfarm soil, im yielding as much as i was with dwc.. I water with ro water, every other watering I add nutes (maxibloom or grow) They grow like crazy in soil.. If u have no way to keep ur res temps low, soil is the way..

Plus with DWC, it only takes about 10 seconds for your entire root system to die, if the roots r sitting in stagnant water with the pump off. UIt could be really easy to killllll your plants

I run two pumps with four air stones. Not a problem. It is what you make it I guess. Failing to plan bites ya everytime. Been there done that.

deviant1

well outpostgrower, I too have 2 pumps and 4 airstones, so that can't be what my problem is. keep the ideas coming though, maybe we can figure this out together.

deviant1

hey sir nugget, can you pm me and give me some pointers, I haven't done soil in so long, im gonna need a lil help. thanks and hope you can help

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I have to think you're in severe violation of something very simple. I just can't imagine an easier more hands off way to grow indoors than single tub DWC. 15 minutes of work twice a month. 2-3 week vacations without worry. I've run temps into the 90s with no trouble at all.

Lucas is a "one size fits all" method and as we all know one size does NOT fit all. Some plants need hand tailoring. So lets start at the beginning. What's the EC and pH of your water? What's the EC and pH of your solution? Which way have these numbers moved in the last week?

bendoslendo

I've grew 4 DWC grows spaced over several years with almost 0 problems. I recently tried FF OF mix and was severely disappointed with the yield and quality. This is likely due to my lack of experience with soil/organic growing.

However, with all the problems I've had with my latest DWC setup, I'm ready to try something new. Hempybuckets are looking pretty good. I'd like to do Ebb and Flow but can't aford the setup.

ItsAllOver

Devil's Advocate
Yea, don't give up. You just weren't taking care of a variable or two. If soil works for you, stick with it, but the benefits of hydro will always be there when you're ready to give it another shot.

Madrus Rose

post 69
Veteran
Sunshine mix4 or promix ....these aren't soil mixes but nice lite n fluffy sterilized mixes that are peat based with aggragate . Treat them like u wud Coco (another option) which means charging them well with nutes then back off . Start off with a complete nute product like Flora Nova & calmag to get them going @ 2.2 ec with some Flora Licious plus or liquid Karma & a little B1 .

9 plants per light and use 5gal pots though 3gals work ok ....just fill 5gal pots up 2/3rds
& u'll grow perfect plants up every time with plenty of root space .
Feed moderately after initially charging the above mediums & check the run off occassionally seeing that the EC/ppms hasn't built up too much . Its essential to test the run off every week until u get better . If to high a build up just plain ph water & cool things down .

Organic soil mixes are overrated , overexpensive & just plain dirty . If u want organics add liquid karma or Floracious + & some teas like budswel .

there u go !

deviant1

ok freezerboy, water ppm 80, ph 7.8 the solution ppm 1100 and ph 5.8, but has been rising everyday and hard to control ph. have any ideas what's going on. im using frozen water bottles, is it possible that the roots are too cold? any ideas?

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
You say pH rises every day. Does EC drop every day? EC and pH should move in opposite directions. 1100 ppm strikes me as over rich. I average between 1-1.4 EC (500-700 ppm) But, if too rich, that should make pH drop ... odd.

80 ppm? Would that be RO? RO and distilled suffer far greater pH swings than tap. What nutes? Minerals salts like GH will aid in pH stabilization as opposed to organics.

Temp wise, while 50º F slowed things down, it caused no damage. I use an aquarium heater to maintain 68ºF in the winter. In the summer, temps climb into the high 80s and low 90s. I DO NOT RECOMMEND HIGH TEMPS! But, have grown in them with no trouble.