What's new

Humidity Issues

Rooster067

Hi Guys! Here's my problem. I live in a small one bedroom apartment. Basically two 15x15 rooms stacked on top of each other. One room downstairs, open, with kitchen, one room upstairs, with a small bathroom and walk-in laundry room/closet. There is a wall unit upstairs, that provides heat and A/C, and a baseboard heater downstairs to provide supplemental heating in the winter. I have three small tents setup in the bedroom.
The pic is my current conditions sitting here typing this. The room is where it normally is, give or take, and I know it sounds warm, but to me it is not. It feels rather cool actually, I sleep with a blanket.
The Melonfarm 2x2 is empty at the moment, just sitting there. The 32x32 has three bag seed clones I just flipped to flower, and the 39x39 has three 5 week old plants in it, set on a 18/6 light cycle.
Both tents have 4" inline fans, and I was running them on a medium setting constantly. After watching the conditions for a few weeks, I noticed the temps and humidity would fluctuate greatly with the light cycles. I have since started using the automatic controllers, and that has helped with the fluctuations. It at least turns the fans off when it cools down after the lights shutoff, they just come on to control humidity.
I'm relatively new to indoor growing, and all this equipment I have at my disposal. Although my plants have been looking and growing OK, as far as I know, I'm learning that my temps and humidity are really high. And learning a little about VPD, that is on the high side also.
So, since there's not a lot I can do about the temps, I would really rather not lower the room temp any, I would like to lower the humidity, especially later in the grows. I don't know if running a dehumidifier in the room would be a good idea, working against the A/C, to lower the whole room/apartment humidity, or if small dehumidifiers inside the tents would be a better option. I'm not even sure those small ones even work, or which ones would be best.
I'm open to all suggestions, including whether or not I should even be that worried about it.
Thanks so much!

(The tent pics are from a week or so ago, all the plants are much bigger now)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240517_154313_ThermoPro Sensor.jpg
    Screenshot_20240517_154313_ThermoPro Sensor.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240510_052208.jpg
    20240510_052208.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240515_080446.jpg
    20240515_080446.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 10

Rooster067

Oh great, something else I have to look into, Lol. Thanks, I will look into that. I've not heard that mentioned, or maybe completely missed it...

Lumpy-Gravy

lol sorry. Basically it’s the point at which the air can no longer hold the moisture resulting in dew/consensation. You can find a dew point calculator online. Dab in yer temp and humidity and it’ll tell you the temperature at which the air will start to condensate. I have a Bluetooth hygrometer and can see temp, humidity, vpd and dew point in real time. They’re only about 25 quid. A worthy investment

Dime

Seedlings and clones you can run 75% and just watch the for leaf "drogginess" or leaf sweating,or downward curl ,veg will take up to 70 %,when you flower you will want to get it down to 50% or lower if you can and especially watch fluctuations because that will be the time they will mold.. The temps you're running wouldn't bother me at all. Water less and keep the top layer drier, constant fans,use a dehumidifier,make sure there is no standing water are steps that may help. Good luck

Rooster067

Seedlings and clones you can run 75% and just watch the for leaf "drogginess" or leaf sweating,or downward curl ,veg will take up to 70 %,when you flower you will want to get it down to 50% or lower if you can and especially watch fluctuations because that will be the time they will mold.. The temps you're running wouldn't bother me at all. Water less and keep the top layer drier, constant fans,use a dehumidifier,make sure there is no standing water are steps that may help. Good luck
Thank You. I have noticed, in the 32x32 with the three clones, they always seemed a little "droopy". I kept blaming myself for possibly overwatering, which I guess could possibly be contributing to my humidity problem. That makes sense. I haven't noticed any other symptoms really, other than what the instruments are telling me, Lol. I'm working on the watering part, and have already noticed a difference in the plants. As a noob, I'm doing it all wrong, Lol. I have three plants going into flower in 1gal plastic pots in one tent, and three other, younger ones in 3gal fabric containers in the other tent. Totally different water usage. I think I've learned the ones in the plastic pots were getting overwatered, and the ones in the fabric pots were a little underwatered. And surprise surprise, the tent with the fabric pots has 10% higher humidity than the other one at the moment...

Rooster067

lol sorry. Basically it’s the point at which the air can no longer hold the moisture resulting in dew/consensation. You can find a dew point calculator online. Dab in yer temp and humidity and it’ll tell you the temperature at which the air will start to condensate. I have a Bluetooth hygrometer and can see temp, humidity, vpd and dew point in real time. They’re only about 25 quid. A worthy investment
No worries. I found a calculator online, punched in the current numbers for one of the tents, and came up with a dewpoint of 66.7 degrees F. The other was 65.1 degrees F. And a whole lot of other important sounding measurements. I have no idea what any of that that means, Lol.

Lumpy-Gravy

I
No worries. I found a calculator online, punched in the current numbers for one of the tents, and came up with a dewpoint of 66.7 degrees F. The other was 65.1 degrees F. And a whole lot of other important sounding measurements. I have no idea what any of that that means, Lol.
I guess I should have qualified dew point really comes in to its own when yer in flower. It’s an easy enough concept to get yer head around. You want to stay a good few degrees above dew point once you’re knocking out big fat juicy flowers. As above, higher humidity during veg n that is what yer want.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
The dryer the environment the better it will be because a wet environment will cause the plant tissue to become tender. Tender tissue will allow for disease. I use a big box fan on high in the window blowing outwards to remove excess water out of the house. I can't allow the house to remain shut up and grow weed without running into problems. If you use a high velocity fan to remove the water you can lower the dew point and humidity.

Rooster067

The dryer the environment the better it will be because a wet environment will cause the plant tissue to become tender. Tender tissue will allow for disease. I use a big box fan on high in the window blowing outwards to remove excess water out of the house. I can't allow the house to remain shut up and grow weed without running into problems. If you use a high velocity fan to remove the water you can lower the dew point and humidity.
I can't argue with that, thank you, but it's not an option. My apartment would get way too hot in the coming months, even now, if I don't keep it closed up with the A/C running. Nor could I ever leave with a downstairs window open. And right this minute for example, it's 61 degrees outside at 97% humidity. In the last week, my room didn't go over 70% humidity, but I've seen it at 75% inside the tents, normally after the lights go out.