What's new

How to save seeds

PandoraSeedBank

Boutique Breeder
Hello! Good night from Spain!

All the seeds in the banks are sold for collecting and conservation, however, almost none of them say how to preserve them or even come in containers that are not appropriate for conservation. some very expensive, voluminous and even luxurious but they do not fulfill their function of conservation.

When I started in this world I informed myself a lot, hundreds of hours reading in forums and talking to others.

I began to be interested in local varieties from different countries and, let's say, rare or exotic varieties.

Then I saw a problem, in their countries they were losing money for different reasons and then the banks that were also selling it soon stopped selling it or closed.

So if I saw a variety that I thought was valuable I went for it. I saw that if I didn't get it I would lose it! I saw each variety as a train that only passes once! I bought as many packages as I could at that time!

I have regretted not having bought a variety, but never having bought it haha

Seed packets, many packets, many varieties, then a problem arose. I had too many and I had to find a method to preserve them so they wouldn't die...

I researched for hours and looked at how gene banks, like Svalbard, did it.

Freezing was my salvation!

So I did the same as them.

Clean the seeds well.

Put them in a heated cutting box. controlled temperature at 24ºC-75.2ºF and below 10% humidity for 15 days. I use high-quality German Fischer meters and to lower the humidity, I use a lot of silica gel, I use the orange one, which is not toxic.

Then, depending on the amount of seeds, I vacuum pack them or pack them the same as the germplasm banks.

I use high quality Eppendorf tubes and package them the same.

Then I store them in the refrigerator at 4ºC-39.2ºF up to 5 years or if more years in the freezer at -18ºC-0.4ºF. Germplasm banks are stored at -18ºC-0.4ºF.

If the seeds are not dried properly when frozen, they run the risk of dying. Moisture expands when it freezes and breaks its cells.

This is my experience.... How do you do it?

I hope it helps you and keeps it for the future!:tiphat:

They are all my photos except the ones that say germplasm bank.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 103
  • drying seeds.jpg
    drying seeds.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 97
  • Eppendorf.jpg
    Eppendorf.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 99
  • Germoplasm Bank.jpg
    Germoplasm Bank.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Germoplasm Bank2.jpg
    Germoplasm Bank2.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Pandora Seeds.jpg
    Pandora Seeds.jpg
    604.8 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

OleReynard

I let them dry for a couple weeks also.
But mine go directly to the freezer.
With some dessicant.
I have popped stuff way over 25 years old with 90+ % germ rates, as long as they were made by me to begin.
Trades and buys just no guarantees on lifespan pending on SOP's and whatnot

Last edited:

PandoraSeedBank

Boutique Breeder
I sincerely believe that it doesn't matter if the container is plastic or glass.

The important thing is that it is airtight and does not let air or moisture in.

The desiccant inside keeps the seeds at the proper humidity level. If it changes color from orange to dark green-black it is because moisture has entered.
It is a good indicator.

So far I have had no problems with eppendorf tubes.

An acquaintance kept seeds in a film of frozen photos for 20 years and almost all of them germinated.

I myself have seeds packaged in tubes but without having dried them with silica gel nor packaged with silica gel.
I did it when I didn't know this.

Many have germinated well but others have not...
The better you do things, the more likely they are to last longer and germinate better :tiphat:

PandoraSeedBank

Boutique Breeder
In nature, when the cold season ends and spring comes, that is when they germinate.

I have germinated seeds that have been frozen and thawed twice and fewer seeds germinated...

That's my experience, I'm not an expert... :tiphat:

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🍆 Special 🍆
seeds have several germination inhibitors, just to name few things that will decrease the amount of them:
-time
-temperature
-humidity

Germination inhibitors, which inhibit the germination of seeds, spores and other plant reproductive material, are abundant in the plant kingdom and include phenols, cyanides, alkaloids, essential oils, amino acids, etc. These inhibitors can be classified as germination destructors and germination retarders depending on whether they harm the morphology, structure and physiology of the seed. Germination retarders are closely related to seed dormancy.

(source: https://www.mdpi.com/2311-7524/9/4/462 )

Rastafarout

Premium user
It’s also strain dependent some don't age well, no matter how well you store them also vice versa ,
I just popped 17 yr old sour diesel f2s , that were just in a baggie
in the fridge ( multiple fridges) and a few overseas trips the last 3yrs 😆

And how you germ them only had 12 , soaked 6 , all died . Not even popping

Soaked the last 6 in kelp juice , got 4 healthy 1 runty and 1 no show …

PandoraSeedBank

Boutique Breeder
seeds have several germination inhibitors, just to name few things that will decrease the amount of them:
-time
-temperature
-humidity

Germination inhibitors, which inhibit the germination of seeds, spores and other plant reproductive material, are abundant in the plant kingdom and include phenols, cyanides, alkaloids, essential oils, amino acids, etc. These inhibitors can be classified as germination destructors and germination retarders depending on whether they harm the morphology, structure and physiology of the seed. Germination retarders are closely related to seed dormancy.

(source: https://www.mdpi.com/2311-7524/9/4/462 )
Exactly, that is why it is important to put them at an appropriate humidity and temperature.

In addition to the fact that they are young seeds.

If you take some seeds that have been in a drawer for 2 or 3 years and you freeze them, they will not have the same strength or germination percentage as seeds that have just been taken from the plant...

PandoraSeedBank

Boutique Breeder
It’s also strain dependent some don't age well, no matter how well you store them also vice versa ,
I just popped 17 yr old sour diesel f2s , that were just in a baggie
in the fridge ( multiple fridges) and a few overseas trips the last 3yrs 😆

And how you germ them only had 12 , soaked 6 , all died . Not even popping

Soaked the last 6 in kelp juice , got 4 healthy 1 runty and 1 no show …
If there are seeds that have a harder time germinating than others.
I had Mekong Haze of Delta9 and none came out.
They were very old but even when they took them out they had problems with them...

OleReynard

In nature, when the cold season ends and spring comes, that is when they germinate.

I have germinated seeds that have been frozen and thawed twice and fewer seeds germinated...

That's my experience, I'm not an expert... :tiphat:
Take Illinois for example still has a thriving healthy hemp population from back when they used to process it for various products.
Illinois has an up down all around winter now with numerous freeze and thaw scenarios and it dont effect them renegade seeds at all.

I have not seen a problem with taking them in/out of the freezer, I do it when I'm filling my menu for the next run and until there's actual proof on this process declines seed health, ima gonna keep doing what I do.

Everyone's got an opinion on this for decades still isn't no proof either way.

OR

Latest posts

Latest posts