What's new

how to regulate ph swings

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i have '3' diff plants in a vevor hydro system - 2 of the plants i have stable at a ph between 5.90/6.20 and the ec between 1.4-1.6- but with the 3rd plant which is a monster , the ph drops - i will set it today at 5.90/6.10, by tomm it will be down at 5.60/5.50 - since it is drinking at least a gallon per day, i will water, adding ph up, but would like to get it stable like the 2 other plants- any suggestion??

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
i have '3' diff plants in a vevor hydro system - 2 of the plants i have stable at a ph between 5.90/6.20 and the ec between 1.4-1.6- but with the 3rd plant which is a monster , the ph drops - i will set it today at 5.90/6.10, by tomm it will be down at 5.60/5.50 - since it is drinking at least a gallon per day, i will water, adding ph up, but would like to get it stable like the 2 other plants- any suggestion??
Try reducing the EC on the third one and see if that will help.

stiff

Veteran
...And if it doesnt help,see if a spoon of mineral magic in the reservoir stabilises it.
That's a ghe product, it might have changed the name since T.A took over.
It helped me in the waterfarm whrn i had the same troubles

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
mineral magic is from down under- do they sell it in the states?? - can't find it on amazon, i sent a message to them asking if its available here- thanks

stiff

Veteran
mineral magic is from down under- do they sell it in the states?? - can't find it on amazon, i sent a message to them asking if its available here- thanks
Minetal magic used to be mady general hydroponics. I doubt it was made in Australia...but I dont know that for sure.
T.A. now..don't they produce in the states?
That stuff here..I saw waht you found in OZ. Its a different product
1714076403291.jpeg
1714076403291.jpeg

Dime

PH drop means too high ppm and it doesn't want it ,(salts are acidic) and you need to dilute and clean your equipment or change solution more often,as roots die and decompose you get bacteria and your PH goes down. You could try warming your solution with an aquarium heater to release some co2 that will raise it . What are you using to adjust it?

Ca++

What's your water like? Harder water tends to need more acid adding. The two apposing forces offer more stability, when in higher quantities.
Some RO growers will use both up and down. It seems daft at first glance, but gives more stability in a difficult situation.

I would say too much feed is being used, but as you say, it's not particularly high. Is evaporation high? Is it drinking more perhaps?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I agree with Creeper Park and Dime, pH drops EC/ppm too high. Optimal is ppm drops pH rises.

Changing reservoirs weekly take all the problems out of hydroponics. I would clean everything and reset with fresh nutrient solution.

Let us know how it progresses 👍

I forgot to mention I never run hydro without Hygrozyme. 6ml/gal and you will never see a root issue of any kind. It's like my hydro silver bullet.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
PH drop means too high ppm and it doesn't want it ,(salts are acidic) and you need to dilute and clean your equipment or change solution more often,as roots die and decompose you get bacteria and your PH goes down. You could try warming your solution with an aquarium heater to release some co2 that will raise it . What are you using to adjust it?
i am using GH up and down - i am adding water, at least a gallon every day- the GH chart says at this stage of growth (i'm at 40days of 2/12) the ec should be 1.8/2.0, n i am under 1.0- i cleaned the pot about 10days after going 12/12 -

the other plants are fine, ph is steady at around 6, ec around 1.6, and they drink maybe a quart+ a day-

its just the runtz, which as i said is taking up 3/4 of the 5x5ft tent, its a monster

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
What's your water like? Harder water tends to need more acid adding. The two apposing forces offer more stability, when in higher quantities.
Some RO growers will use both up and down. It seems daft at first glance, but gives more stability in a difficult situation.

I would say too much feed is being used, but as you say, it's not particularly high. Is evaporation high? Is it drinking more perhaps?
my water according to the water co. is not hard, ph is 6.25 - and the plant is a water hog, it drinks at least a gallon+ a day...

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I agree with Creeper Park and Dime, pH drops EC/ppm too high. Optimal is ppm drops pH rises.

Changing reservoirs weekly take all the problems out of hydroponics. I would clean everything and reset with fresh nutrient solution.

Let us know how it progresses 👍

I forgot to mention I never run hydro without Hygrozyme. 6ml/gal and you will never see a root issue of any kind. It's like my hydro silver bullet.
thanks .... i will do a change /cleaning this morn... and just bought hygrozyme on line...

Ca++

my water according to the water co. is not hard, ph is 6.25 - and the plant is a water hog, it drinks at least a gallon+ a day...
Acid water? Are you using UP then, not Down?
You might have luck with hardening it up. Like the RO guys, who regularly use calmag. That would bring along some N though. Canna have there calmag agent, which seem more suited. I suspect it's calcium carbonate in the main, not nitrate. I'm starting to think about soluble gypsum, but would have to start reading to go on further. The aim being, to harden the water up, without much change to the feed profile. Which hitting it with calmag doesn't achieve.

This is all leading to greater stabilty though, and not the elephant in the room. The simplicity of too much feed seems a little unexpected. Perhaps this acid situation is a bit more specific. Like they ate the UP, or are acidifying the root zone through selective feeding.