What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How to make an AC box.

blAsia

Nice design, but you must take in consideration that if you cover the intakes from the sides of the ac unit, that are supposed to be outside, with the box, and DO NOT have an adequate supply of "cooler" air, your ac will work HARD and not cool as well as it should. It cools the air with "cooler" air blowing over the freon filled tubes. If you are using very hot air, like the rear exhaust air, it is not as efficient as it could be.

I made a box out of reflectix on the back of my ac, and had one 4" vent hole... it was not enough. I made another port on the other side and I noticed the ac starting to cool more efficiently. I got the original idea from this post, but it didn't work out for me.

You need to separate the cooling air intakes from the exhaust. The air in the room is, at least for my unit, separate. the intake in the front just blows through the coils then back into the room

TheOneWill said:
Would it be good to use a window ac unit to cycle air? If not how many 120mm computer fans I should put it in to cycle the air to keep it fresh?
Like for it to suck out the hot air from a 420watt hps and then circulate in the ac unit then go back into the flower cab.
I don't think it works that way... it would never cool/rather, it would never shut off if only heat were sucked in... unless you had a long thermostat on it and placed it where the cooling is taking place, but, typically they sit front of the intake on the front to determine temp of the room you want to cool.

Just my opinion.

Peace
2nd exhaust... out into another room, but away from the ac and entrance... suppose I could have put it too in the cavity, which is actually an enclosure where my ballasts are, but didn't have time that night. I can always change it. I imagine you could rig something up to pull the air in the vents on the top and sides, but... IDK... go for it.

original into wall cavity.

Last edited:
Just so there isn't any confusion. The air is drawn over the entire rear of the unit therefor there is no reason to box it off like that. This is so you can run the box inside of the room. Yes this unit is used in a sealed room it draws air from the veg room which is much cooler across the back of the unit and out. It is hooked up to a 6 inch that is split and draws air for both the ac and my veg light 1k-mh, both stay cool. It is also designed so that it is entirely enclosed to limit the sound that escapes, so that one can run a ac whenever without questions.
hazey

blAsia

To run your box you need excellent ventilation, at the very least. So says the HVAC technician in the family.

Peace.

romdog, that thing vents out hot air too, it just doesn't show the ducting in the picture. Check the specs on the right: Single Exhaust Hose, Window Bracket

Any A/C will need an exhaust vent for the heat created during the cooling process.

You need a intake on those because just like my unit the hot side is isolated and it draws air across it and out the hose. the problem with those is that it draws the cold air it just created as well as any co2 you might be using. when using a wall mount unit there is already a heat shield in place and uses passive cooling from the rear being stuck outside.. or from boxing the rear and forcing air across it.

PharmaCan

Veteran
hazeywonder - The last few days I've been pondering how to cool my garage without cutting a big hole in the wall and hanging the a/c in a place that I know would irritate my neighbor. This is perfect! Two holes in the wall, a couple of nice exterior vent covers and I'll be good to go. Thanks!PC :smoker:

Hydropimp

Veteran
Ok I get the intake does it need to have a fan and air coming from another side of the house or can I just have a hole in the side of the box and on the top side a fan pull air threw the fan out the roof?

O

ogatec

congrats on getting this type of setup to work properly. i tried somthing simular with a 465 daton fan pulling off the top of my homade box. this didnt work at all & i ened up burning up an a/c.

i think yours may work for 2 reasons.
1. you have a good strong fan pulling air out of the box
2. you have a pasthough type of ventilation system on your homade a/c box.

i think the passthrough ventilation design is most important for anyone trying this technique.

Last edited:

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Hydropimp said:
but why would it need an intake?

your kidding?
how does somthing exhaust air without taking it in....to exhaust...???
id love to exhaust hot air without bringing new air in.... :bashhead:

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Although looks good, this set-up is very inefficient. In fact it is surprising that it actually works at all.

I hate to piss on anyone's cornflakes, but this is not a DIY that should followed.
It is just simply not correct, and will cause a persons investment to work far from it's peak efficiency, and will more than likely wear the unit out fast.

It may work, but no way it works well at all.

burnhardlonger

New problem

New problem

I have a grow room set up w/window ac unit used as it made installed on the wall of the grow room venting out opposite side of wall.( just like u would use it installed in a bedroom window only this is a sealed growroom) i boxed the exaust only (very back -not the side vents) of unit to outside with 8' fan& duct. Works ok but Im getting positive pressure inside grow room . (the 'walls" (one wall is plastic sheeting for now) are blowing out like a balloon and not sucking in tight like a vaccum sealer.There is one vent going in an opposite wall of ac ,but when closed or open doesnt change positive/negative flow at all . I was hoping the 8" exuast out the back of the ac would be enough suction to pull odors out. Make sense ? Any thoughts on what i can try next to exaust odors?

burnhardlonger

I think the next thing to try is cut/run 4" duct from very top of grow room to intersect into 8" duct. I only have one big vent to outside (the 8" one). Cant run 2 vents. I wish I could send a pic explaining but its really very basic . A box with an ac installed on the wall (about 2' off floor), with the ac exaust ducted up and out roof, and a 4" hole intake across room at bottom............ simple but the problem is positive air flow in room. Im going to try 4" duct and see. Checking how long my ac runs one way vs. the other.

stupidlegs13

I LOVE DIY LINK-O-RAMA! i have been looking on a bunch of forums for someone who has tried this.(didint even know what to searcgh for) I started an attic grow and its so hot I NEED ac but I'm low of cash. this is a great. I think i'll be able to figure out a way to make it work. THANKS JJ!

ILoveGod

i run a 25,000 BTU window Unit in a sealed room.

I built a box in the back from insulation boards. I then have 8 inch ducting pulled with a 8inch vortex fan from the attic. I get my fresh air from my central AC.

I have the water hooked up to a tubing ran 15' to my bath tub.

This works very well.

Latest posts

Latest posts