What's new

HOW MANY WATTS DO YOU USE ON ONE 15 AMP BREAKER

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
trinity after all of that here is a direct answer...first use the current rating(A) on the ballast or power rating(W)..
not the light bulb's power rating..losses and efficiency are added into the current rating on the ballast..
My 400W ballast has a rating of 3.8A at 120VAC..so 120V x 3.8A = 456W
They rate that current when voltage is 120V, if it dropped to 110V..456W / 110V = 4.2A derated..
Voltage effects current but power stays the same
So yes 110V x 15A = 1650W..110V x 20A = 2200W
I say 1 - 1000W light and some small stuff per 15A breaker.. :2cents:

packn2puff

Veteran
I answered a PM about sub-panels so here is a short how-to for a 30A I will cut and paste here..You can get more local info from a Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

You need room in your main panel for a new breaker..you break out one of the break-outs..and install the breaker(the panel should tell you the type of breaker you need to use with that brand(cutler-hammer, etc)..If you want your sub-panel to be 220V available..you need to use a double-breaker...and this gets more complicated..
For 120V @ 30A only a single breaker will do and if the run isn't super long 10g maybe 8g wire...The black wire goes to the breaker, white to the neutral busbar, don't worry the white wire wont shock you the black will though and the green/bare wire to the ground busbar..In the sub-panel..The black goes to the main bus connection(s) The white to the neutral busbar and green/bare to the ground busbar..
Then just snap in breakers into the sub panel..
from panel to outlets...Outlets: Black=Gold connector(screw color) small slot in plug..White=Silver connector taller slot in plug...Green/bare=green connector...
They should have a gauge chart at Lowes or tell the guy the distance of the run and breaker used..Most houses have three power wires coming in to the main box Line 1, Line2, & Neutral
L1 to L2 = 220V...L1 to Neutral or L2 to N = 110V
The breakers alternate L1 to L2 all the way down the panel..so if you put a double breaker you get 220V..
Now will this all meet code..that's the real hard part..County codes vary greatly, in Chicago, Lomax is not allowed only free wire and conduit, at least that is what I was told..next county over Lomax is allowed..My apartment only used 16g wire for 15A circuits...I've never seen that before..maybe because they are so short runs..

Bonzo

Veteran
Good info Pakn, i just had my friend run me a dedicated 20 amp line for my veg cab, i was real tired of poppin breakers. Is Lomax what we call Romex on the west coast? pre shielded 3 wire stuff?

peace

bonz

ps. cool new avatar dude :wave:

Last edited:

packn2puff

Veteran
Actually Lomax is a saxophone mouthpiece... :pointlaug
Romex is what I meant to say...you're right Bonzo
3 conductor solid wire individual insulated...incased in a thin flat plyable plastic insulated conduit...usually off-white..

trinity

packn2puff, so by small stuff, what are you refering too? 1000 watt light and what else? thanks for everyones help!!

packn2puff

Veteran
Like circ fans(@0.5A) and small pumps, etc....most devices have an amp rating on them..
Add um up and keep the number around 12A..on a 15A breaker.if the breaker pops you've connected too much..:wave: