What's new

GROW TENTS !!!!!!!!!

wickedpete66

question for hydrohut users is there a way to hook up a 6"-4" adapter in those things. from what Ive seen the hydrohut looks a little sturdier than the homebox, seing that all the connectors are metal and not plastic, plus the use of regular sheetmetal for the outake vent seems better than the sock on the homebox, but the use of a 4" duct for a cab thats alittle over 9sq ft seems like a design flaw. plus my c22 is set up for a 6" duct system already

Dreamscape

On the hydrohut website they claim the frame connections on the box are much weaker than the hydrohuts ... but of course they're trying to sell a product so their going to talk shit on the competition...

wickedpete66

almost every review Ive read for the homebox. the 2 cons were thet the plastic connectors break easy and the top lightsupport grid isnt very strong.

Last edited:

R4st4

yea the conectors should have been metal...but break easy cant see that if ur not really careless.. light support grid u mean those reinforcing bars at the roof...hmm i don use those for light mount i use a chain wich i connect from each side of the main frame and then another chain connecte to chain and lamp... and if u need somthing durable and strong go for a bunker lol... this is only a tent... its strong inuf for keeping plants... but not strong inuf to jump on the tent walls lol... hmm but yea 4" is small but think its pro and cons on both....i just saw the homebox first, didnt know that hydrohut exsited b4 i had ordered a homebox... so i cant tell whats best just that the homebox works for me... but oc the frame on homebox could have been stronger but for normal use its inufid u fall on the frame i dont think either of the boxes would stand it... if its alu tube on the hydrohut too

stonerat

I saw the £125 Greenroom after I paid £160 for a Homebox, Seems weird that it is £100 cheaper on that website than anywhere else but I wish I had seen it before I had bought the other one ;)

R4st4

the frame on the greenroom looks good but the tent itself looks crap. but with small modification it would do fine i think :)

G

Dreamscape said:
On the hydrohut website they claim the frame connections on the box are much weaker than the hydrohuts ... but of course they're trying to sell a product so their going to talk shit on the competition...

I thought these boxes were all made by the same manufacturer, but I guess it's not. I'm 99.999% sure that the BudBox and HomeBox are literally identical items, re-branded. I was 90% sure that the HydroHut and HomeBox were the same manufacturers as well as the seams (even the color of the trim), outside/inside material and all seemed identical.

Anyways, my understanding was that all of the HydroHuts were, at one time, also equipped with plastic corners; the "new" HydroHut (a Mini, 39" w x 39" d x 78" h) that I got a month ago had metal corners welded to the pieces, which I'm sure lasts much longer. I imagine the plastic corners were originally used to save on the cost of labor, but probably got too many complaints from them breaking easily.

As far as not breaking without being careless, I'm not so sure. If you're using these plastic corners (I'm assuming it's actually Nylon) in a relatively large structure that's somewhat rigid, I could see them breaking or becoming weaker after repeated bump-ins to the corner poles and such.

One thing I noticed that's different from that zipper picture is that the zippers on my HH Mini are much heavier duty looking zippers, with much larger teeth made of plastic not metal, as you'd see on large luggage bags.

stonerat

R4st4 said:
the frame on the greenroom looks good but the tent itself looks crap. but with small modification it would do fine i think :)

I agree, but I know peolpe who swear by them. The material looks too thin but apparently they are very good.

R4st4

yea the frame just look stronger buildt on the greenroom than HB or HH.. the home box should have had metal corner as the new HH and should have 3 more alu tubes on each side horizontaly in the middle of the walls for better support and more stability.. but thats abute all the negative i can finde atm...

G

R4st4 said:
yea the frame just look stronger buildt on the greenroom than HB or HH.. the home box should have had metal corner as the new HH and should have 3 more alu tubes on each side horizontaly in the middle of the walls for better support and more stability.. but thats abute all the negative i can finde atm...

I don't care how well that material works; once you've seen and felt the HydroHut cover material and the whole design, you'll instantly know why the greenroom is cheaper.

They're steel tubes, not aluminum. And the horizontal support is really unnecessary, since the "tent" is designed to fit very tight, and makes a pretty solid wall. The corner fan brackets actually double as a stablizer, and the entire unit is fairly rigid and sturdy even with semi-heavy reflector and fan equipment hanging off the ceiling.

I promise you, if you see one in person (at a hydro store display, perhaps), you'll change your mind about that flimsy greenroom crap.

R4st4

hehe.. yea i have to admit that the greenroom looks much cheaper than hydrohut and hombox but on the look of the frame of the greenroom it looks more stable than my homebox (not that its unstable)... ahh i thought the homebox had alu fram but on theyr homepage it only said frame of metal

wickedpete66

tough decision, hombox is set up for 6" ducting which I have right now. hydrohut frame maybe alittle sturdier and comes in a 100 bucks cheaper. would either one of these things be able to hold the weight of a can 33 carbon scrubber. thas whats nice about the c22 I'm using now . I have the scrubber on top along with about 8 gals of water. i fhte c22 was about 6" deeper it would be perfect

kushedout

Pills? I'm talking from experience. I don't have to actually use one to know the difference between the box and the hut. It's a night and day difference. I have a friend who owns a grow shop and I was able to see first hand how the material looked and felt. The only complaint I have about the hut is the zipper problem which is easily fixed. The supports, inlets, outlets, pretty much everything are built to last. From just looking at the 2 growrooms I could immediately tell the huts were better.But in all honesty, building your own custom tent would be the way to go. You could everything to the specs that you need and it wouldn't be hard to do at all.

EbbnFlow - Give me a very detailed description of the problem and if I myself can't answer it, I'll be sure to ask someone that I definately know will be able to.

The LuuuvHut

R4st4

that should solve the probs of what to choose... if the hydrohut comes in at 100 bucks cheaper and that ppl that have seen both prefer the hydrohut... just to bad that i didnt know aboute it b4 i got my homebox...

RuralRoute420

you guys piqued my interest with these grow tents to the point that i'm now shopping for one. but i'm torn between the homebox and hydrohut. although coming from someone who builds cabinets, there are design flaws from what i've been reading. so i called up the hydro shop that sells the homebox's and talked to the hydroman, he says, he has them both, but that he might choose the hydrohut over the homebox in a nutshell. but if he had to pick a item of the year - the award would go to these. says that homebox & hydrohut are made by a chinese factory and that a german company is marketing them. i also got in touch with the german company for homebox about the zipper issues, says no unreinforced zippers in the u.s.

i'm still not sure what to do.

the hydrohut only having a 4" exhaust, will this pose a problem having 6" exhaust?

and what about the wall linings for each of the boxes. someone mentioned that it's better to line the walls with mylar. thought these things came ready to grow.

Last edited:

average.dave

i'm torn as well. The hydrohut is the only one you can find locally. The one that looked the best to me was the budbox, but it's not to be found in the u.s. I say it looked the best because of the zippers, and flame retardant interior. The hydrohut appears to have the best frame. I need to decide quick.

S

stretchpuppy

I wen't with the hydrohut-mini as an upgrade to my first grow cab, the C13. I've read all the threads and debates on MFGRs (Budbox, Homebox, Hydrohut) and went with my gut feeling.

The thing is a lot larger than I expected. So much so that originally I had the "mini" in mind for a mom room, but it's too nice and has a lot more room than a C13 for flowering... So I have to flip flop my setup now. Incredibly sturdy, and so far I'm more than happy with the $200 investment (on sale for 175 at BGH). And let me tell you it beat dragging those C13 parts up the stairs and into my house. I never want to re-live that experience again. :)

I'll post pics of the new setup this weekend when I sort out my new arrangement.

RuralRoute420 said:
the hydrohut only having a 4" exhaust, will this pose a problem having 6" exhaust?

and what about the wall linings for each of the boxes. someone mentioned that it's better to line the walls with mylar. thought these things came ready to grow.

The "Original" and the "Mini" use 4" ducts. The "Deluxe" uses 6" duct flanges. Sure a 4" hole will pose a problem when you have a 6" hose, =P, so you buy an adapter if you need to.

As far as the walls, they do come ready to grow. He mentioned it helped. Mylar isn't required, but when has it ever hurt?

Last edited:

Mampi

Are these tents totally light tight? No light leaks at all?

I'm looking @ the hydrohut deluxe (8.5' long, 4.5' deep) and I will use 2 x 600 and 1 x 400w in it.

kushedout

RR420 - It's the hydrohut that has the zipper problem. I've had 2 on one side go bad. Not a big deal really if you have at least some repair experience. As for your exhaust issues, won't be a problem with the deluxe. If you are going with the other models, an adapter would solve the problem quite easily. I'm the one that mentioned mylar. It works better than the material the hut is made of but don't get me wrong! You can use it as is with great results. We're just doing a test using mylar at the moment, and so far the mylar not only appears to reflect light better, the plants are showing improvements in some areas that were not getting any light whatsoever. Just an experiment really. A few more runs with and without the mylar would be needed to say for sure.

The huts do have the most sturdy frames. Bottom line.

Mampi - The huts are totally light proof except for some outlets that you're actually able to velcro shut. They come with the velco on them already. Completely light proof.