What's new

GN Zamal

exoticrobotic

Let's see if we can get some GN Collection Zamal to blossom.

IMG_2704.jpg

Fingers crossed... 🤞

:rasta:

Last edited:

exoticrobotic

Hope you can find something nice in there!

Thanks @Nexus7. If they sprout there will be fire in there i'm sure of that :rasta:

If they sprout and i can reproduce them a huge chunk will be sent to the server fund, hopefully so everyone can enjoy them again.

Grab a :coffee: and roll yourself a 🥕 @Nexus7
There's some oil if you fancy it too :)

:woohoo:

As the seeds are so old I'm in two minds whether to soak them in 1% hydrogen peroxide solution now or wait till the waxing moon phase.

I was about to soak them yesterday then got distracted then remembered the success i've had in the past with following the moon phase with old seeds. It's nearly two weeks till the next waxing moon phase though!

But i need all the help i can get with these.

I have about 100 seeds (actually 150 as just seen they are 15 per pack - thanks for the generosity GN).
I'm hoping that 5% are still viable after all these years. When i grew them 15 years ago though only 30% popped and two thirds of those came up blind.

But i've got a bit better growing since then... 💪

After soaking them for 24 hours and manual cracking I'll be putting them in pure peat plugs which should stay wet without mould/algae better than a no peat compost does.

Last time i grew the seeds they took over 30 days to germinate.

They are tiny...

IMG_2708.jpg

Maybe another Gerrit cut or two!

Now that would be nice.

:D

Last edited:

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Hi good luck with the project @exoticrobotic Peace 💚

Here's nice report by my friend @RasTarzan

exoticrobotic

Hi good luck with the project @exoticrobotic Peace 💚

Here's nice report by my friend @RasTarzan

Thanks Roms

Let's hope we can get some of them to pop.

Thanks for the link. It's great to see the info posted from idiit from Christophe himself on the strain.
I hadn't seen it before

exoticrobotic

75/150 have been placed in 1.2% hydrogen peroxide solution with Evian water.

I'll place an air stone in and bubble some air through the whole solution for 24 or 48 hours, try to force hydrate them a bit, then i'll manually crack each one of them before placing them back in pure water for another 24 hours to 48 hours bubbling then into peat plugs.

IMG_2728.jpg

exoticrobotic

Great project and selection @exoticrobotic
Cool you still have some Seedsman Haze! How many of these do you have to go through?
If you don't know @Mystic Funk threads about germinating old seeds I really recommend it

all best for the project!

Thanks for the link @Dogtown and thanks for the wishes Dogtown and @ankhori

Haha yes, i also have a few packs Seedsman's haze. I was and still am obsessively buying seeds although not for the last couple of months now.

I must do an open population run with the Seedsman's haze at some point. As with other seeds in my collection they are reaching twenty years old now.

Anywaaay. BAck to the Future and back to Zamal.

After the seeds were bubbled with air for 48 hours or so i put on an eye loupe and all 75 seeds were manually cracked and returned to a fresh 1.2% peroxide solution.

They got another 12 hours bubbling before this morning, all 75 were placed in peat pots.

After the seeds were manually cracked it's tweezers only handling them.

IMG_2733.jpg

Peculiarly, when i was putting them into peat plugs a few of them cracked their shell with the handling like a tiny firecracker.

Maybe i shoulda bubbled them for a bit longer, 4 or 5 already show green cotyledons within the shells.

They are now on a heat mat under a propagator lid, hopefully starting to wake up from their 20 year slumber.

:rasta:

ThaiBliss

Veteran
4 or 5 already show green cotyledons within the shells
:dance013::watchplant: Great news!

Very interesting technique. Have you used it previously?

I'm interested in your plan after they come up. I had some very old seeds that I really wanted to sprout. I was successful on two different attemps. The problem was, both times they just petered out. The first time was in a greenhouse, under extreme conditions. Sometimes too humid, alternating with intense light, and hot and dry heat. Other more fresh seeds did fine. The next time I tried indoors. Unfortunately, I had contaminated soil. Not many seeds even sprouted, though a few old ones did. They didn't make it. Other fresh seeds that sprouted, I was able to nurse to health. I was heartbroken again with the old ones.

If I could do it all over again, I'd put them in a very light soil mix, mostly pearlite. I'd also innoculate them with mychorrhiza. I'd water them often with a mild worm casting fertilizer liquid.

Perhaps my main issue was a bacterial contamination of the seed. Sounds like that is what you may have been addressing with the hydrogen peroxide solution. It appears you have had some experience with this, or read about someone else's. Do you have a link or resourse where this has been explained?

Thanks

exoticrobotic

Very interesting technique. Have you used it previously?

I'm interested in your plan after they come up.

Hi Thaibliss. Great to see you here. Roll a fatty bro

i've used it before and feel it helps breakdown the old shells better. There are studies on Peas showing it can helps with germination and i feel it also gets rid of any old mould spores that may cause dampening off/embryo rot before they germinate.

After 48 hours bubbling with the airstone in h2o2 solution the shells are pliable enough to crack the seam manually. Even after 48 hours bubbling some shells are still quite tightly glued shut.

"The imbibition of pea seeds with hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) increased the germination as well as the seedling growth, producing an invigoration of the seeds. We propose that H2O2 could acts as signaling molecule in the beginning of seed germination involving specific changes at proteomic, transcriptomic and hormonal levels. These findings have practical implication in the context of seed priming technologies to invigorate low vigour seeds."

I had some very old seeds that I really wanted to sprout. I was successful on two different attemps. The problem was, both times they just petered out.

Yes. I have found seedlings from old seeds stall for weeks and sometimes come up alive but with no growing tip. They need extra nurturing for sure. I am worried with the cold snap in weather it may be difficult to give them this extra attention.

If I could do it all over again, I'd put them in a very light soil mix, mostly pearlite. I'd also innoculate them with mychorrhiza. I'd water them often with a mild worm casting fertilizer liquid.

I've also pondered using only perlite or perlite vermiculite mix just to avoid algae/mould which I find is guaranteed with most composts. I'm using Peat plugs for these seeds and i do still worry a bit about rot.

I also wondered about worm bins as they are also very effective at keeping moulds and rot at bay and seem to encourage germination.

Perhaps my main issue was a bacterial contamination of the seed. Sounds like that is what you may have been addressing with the hydrogen peroxide solution. It appears you have had some experience with this, or read about someone else's. Do you have a link or resourse where this has been explained?

Most of my failed attempts at cracking seeds have been from mould/algae/rot/crust appearing on compost top. I'm hoping the Peat and H2o2 will give me the best crack at it :biggrin:

Last edited: