What's new

Germination Technique....

When i got my first mandala beans, I basically read up on what Mandala Mike had to say about germination.

Put the seed in some soil and wet it. Place the hopeful under the light. Wait several days. Keep medium moist. Eventually it sprouts.

If it doesnt sprout more than likely its a dud, or you just need to WAIT a little longer. I followed his advice with his seeds and got 100% germ rate.

seedlings start good in WMC, coco, vermiculite, rockwool,all that.

I think the fastest pop I got was in three days. Used Roots Organics Soiless mix. It could have been the bean though...

i think the whole paper towel concept is a waste. you have to handle a popped seed and transplant that? Seems hazardous considering the sometimes several hundreds of dollars spent on quality genetics.

to each his own I suppose.
:tiphat:

grow2bfree

i think the whole paper towel concept is a waste. you have to handle a popped seed and transplant that? Seems hazardous considering the sometimes several hundreds of dollars spent on quality genetics.

to each his own I suppose.

IMHO there is no "right" or "wrong" way to germinate. I would guess to say at least 70% of the fine folks that post on this and other sites use the paper towel method with great success. For fresh seeds I personally have had a fairly high success rate. I don't think that anything is 100% guaranteed, there is always a chance that you end up with a dead seed that wont pop no matter what. But I think the point of this thread was how to improve your success rate on those stubborn/old seeds. But I agree with you whole heartedly that everyone should use what works best for them. The whole objective is, after all, to spread the glorious plant the best we can.

Peace

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I scraped the seed coat off the flat end of the seed and got some duds to germ. this method sounds even better.

for the most part im seeing something break the soil in 4 days on average. i do the following
1. soak in brita water for 12-24 hours , no more
2. then place in towel, not paper towel, its less messy this way, i slide the towel in a open plastic bag and leave pre soaked seed for one more day
3. place in soil or other medium about half inch down.

sluggish seeds that have yet to open after the soak n day in the towel get another day. dont beat yourself up if seeds dont sprout and youve done everything right, sometimes that how it bees.

Dr_Tre

I put the seeds in a cup of water and most of them flow but a few sink.Never seen this before.What do you think: are the sunk seeds viable?

Grigori

I've had my best success over the years by soaking them in water for 6-8 hours, then in to potting soil and temp @ 77-80f.

andl

they have to be strong/vigorus enough to break through my soil mix if not its not worth growing.

you can keep them ;)

bigghead

Well I tried this Dr Hooks, and I have to say it worked. I had a stack of 35 seeds sent to me by a friend in BC. I tired germinating 30 of them for 3 weeks when I first got them. I tried paper towel, I tried straight into soil nothing worked. I read this post the other day and decided to try. I put 5 of those seeds (which are over 3 years old now) in water for 24 hours, then gently cracked them with tweezers. (which was easy as hell to do)
I then put them in paper towel and within 12 hours I had tails on 4 of them. The one that doesn't have a tail was the one floater, don't think it's any good. So I would say this method kicks some ass, thanks again for the info man.

B/R

some unique seeds you got. looks like baby turtles.

Dr_Tre

I put the seeds in a cup of water and most of them flow but a few sink.Never seen this before.What do you think: are the sunk seeds viable?

:tumbleweed:Nobody???Come on!
Every single seed that I've germed in my life has been floating in water.Now I see seeds from the same mom that sink and others float.Why is that?Any suggestions?

Strainhunter

Tropical Outcast
Veteran
:tumbleweed:Nobody???Come on!
Every single seed that I've germed in my life has been floating in water.Now I see seeds from the same mom that sink and others float.Why is that?Any suggestions?

Funny you say that...because most seeds (especially when fresh) sink within 24 hours due to picking up moisture.

On a side note: I am SHOCKED to see/read some prying open seeds...

Seeds should be germinated just as nature has intended:

Soak them in water (no more than 48 hours), then place them in your growing medium.
Some make it easier for moisture to enter the seed by removing part of the wax coat covering some seeds by using fine sandpaper.

Papertowel method?

Works for many but can easily damage the tap root and especially the very fine hair roots.
NOT a recommended method.

laughingmoon

wet paper towel, in a ziplock, hanging. That way the taproot goes straight. Tweezers to pick it up once it's popped and placed in a starter disk

Latest posts

Latest posts