What's new

First time bubble hasher - I probably should have stored in a fridge/freezer, right?

Dabbert Globberfield

Ok, so I am a first time grower who took some of their harvest and washed for bubble hash. My end goal was going to be to take the bubble and press it with a rosin press as that seems to be the thing to do. I wanted to at least try it. So everything ended up working out, more or less, and I ended up with some different grades of bubble that I dried.

20230311_223904370.jpg

Once I took the dried bubble hash powder out of the cold area and into the basement (60-65f ambient temp) to wait for pressing, I found all of it a day later looking like this...

this was 24+ g of 45-120u I was really looking forward to pressing... found it like this. It was basically solid at this point.
45-120u.jpg

the others were less in weight, but exactly the same in terms of being stuck together
72u.jpg 90-120u.jpg 20230313_224444868.jpg 20230313_231040199.jpg

I figured that I would not be able to load bags for rosin pressing properly with this consistency I went the frenchy route and rolled a jar with hot water over the hash to make temple balls I guess.
20230313_211551247.jpg

I ended up with this
20230313_233801273.jpg

I have no idea if I should have done that or what I should have done after finding the hash stuck together and clumpy like that.

This happened because even 60f is too warm for the bubble? Because all of this was loose powder when I packaged it for later use.

What should I have done? Is this a common thing that happens with bubble at room temp?

I was able to form these balls without even using the hot water jar; it was very reactive to the warmth from my hand, You can see in an above photo where I pinched the bubble and it basically formed.

This is kind of a stupid question, I know, but how am I supposed to consume this? The balls are actually quite hard until they soften with heat from your hand.

I wrapped them in air tight in cellophane placed in a small jar for now. I hope over time they will soften or something. I wouldn't call this hash really, it reminds me more of like.... dirty dab. Like it really reminded me of rosin when I rolled it out. I also dabbed some of it. It went well enough, but it left behind a little residue.

20230313_225606252.jpg

Not too sure what to do here. lol. I have some more bubble drying right now, but that bubble will not see room temp until it's bagged up and about to be pressed.

hamstring

Veteran
Looks ok to me but I don't press mine. All hash will oxidize and change color if left out.

I let it all turn into large globs and store it in the freezer. Even or should I say especially, the full melt stuff will stick together.
There a few videos out there where after partially drying and freezing they micro plane it if you want it to look like dry screened.

Others with experience pressing it will chime in.

D. B. Doober

Boston, MA
Veteran
Ok, so I am a first time grower who took some of their harvest and washed for bubble hash. My end goal was going to be to take the bubble and press it with a rosin press as that seems to be the thing to do. I wanted to at least try it. So everything ended up working out, more or less, and I ended up with some different grades of bubble that I dried.

View attachment 18819338

Once I took the dried bubble hash powder out of the cold area and into the basement (60-65f ambient temp) to wait for pressing, I found all of it a day later looking like this...

this was 24+ g of 45-120u I was really looking forward to pressing... found it like this. It was basically solid at this point.
View attachment 18819339

the others were less in weight, but exactly the same in terms of being stuck together
View attachment 18819340 View attachment 18819341 View attachment 18819342 View attachment 18819343

I figured that I would not be able to load bags for rosin pressing properly with this consistency I went the frenchy route and rolled a jar with hot water over the hash to make temple balls I guess.
View attachment 18819345

I ended up with this
View attachment 18819344

I have no idea if I should have done that or what I should have done after finding the hash stuck together and clumpy like that.

This happened because even 60f is too warm for the bubble? Because all of this was loose powder when I packaged it for later use.

What should I have done? Is this a common thing that happens with bubble at room temp?

I was able to form these balls without even using the hot water jar; it was very reactive to the warmth from my hand, You can see in an above photo where I pinched the bubble and it basically formed.

This is kind of a stupid question, I know, but how am I supposed to consume this? The balls are actually quite hard until they soften with heat from your hand.

I wrapped them in air tight in cellophane placed in a small jar for now. I hope over time they will soften or something. I wouldn't call this hash really, it reminds me more of like.... dirty dab. Like it really reminded me of rosin when I rolled it out. I also dabbed some of it. It went well enough, but it left behind a little residue.

View attachment 18819346

Not too sure what to do here. lol. I have some more bubble drying right now, but that bubble will not see room temp until it's bagged up and about to be pressed.
Yup good bubble hash is like that. It becomes like all solid and crystally...that's what my bubble hash from the dispensary is like. I scrape the top and some powder comes off and I smoke that.

Way to go on making your own smoke👍

Dabbert Globberfield

Way to go on making your own smoke👍
:D thanks!

was fun and I am playing around with all sorts of things now. the bubble hash has most of my attention at the moment.

What I had expected, was that the hash stayed umm... not stuck together like it was when I collected it. Like I used a card to collect it and it was loose. When I talk about loading rosin bags for pressing rosin, I think about filling bags with a spoon and it's looking like powder.

20230311_215932205.jpg
See, here if I would have just scooped into bags and then taken that to the press, I would have been fine. Instead, after just a day in the basement, it turned into sticky clumps. that wouldn't fill out bags uniformly.

Is that how it goes? Just pressing immediately after done drying or if I put in the fridge will it stay powdery like this? I need the powder lol

Hash Artist

I like to keep mine in the same consistency as the cluster of middle golden hued photos you’ve got there. That’s great quality! From there I wait until the nose starts to develop and then glass jar lined with parchment for curing. Naturally I open it a few times a day initially to see how things are progressing and less opening each day until I decide to close the jar and vacuum seal it for long term curing/aging. Some will disagree but imho if treated properly and taking these steps the resin will only get better with time!

Dabbert Globberfield

Interesting. I had no idea as my goal was not to keep or use the bubble as anything other and fuel to make rosin.

So what you are saying is that you would let it hang out at room temp and let it turn into that nice middle classic looking bubble hash and it would develop smells/flavors over time? Then when you get what you like that is when you jar it?

What had happened was that after I dried and collected I made parchment paper pouches for each and brought inside to hang out until I got things together for pressing. Figured I would check today and found it like that. So it was all open air kind of.

I am thinking either I leave the balls like they are now, as there is no turning back, and just check on them in a month or more to see if anything happened after being wrapped in cellophane and jarred. Or I could take them out, unwrap them, and let them air out and develop for a bit before doing that. Maybe even redoing the hot jar pressing after a few weeks.

I didn't expect to be here with this bubble lol. Part of me wants to form it into the perfect shape of a rosin bag and press it........... convince me not to. :smoke out:

Hash Artist

Yeah that’s what I like to do. Worst thing you can do is press too early or jar too early imo. I don’t even bother with heat or pressing when it’s real quality. Most variety will self-press and clump naturally on its own. When you’ve cured it in the jar for a while and like where things are at sometimes the move is to throw it in a food saver vacuum bag and let that act as the compression as well as long term storage. Personally I prefer a good bubble on bed of ashes over rosin every time.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That means it's top quality when it does that on its own. Well done on some special Hash , and no defo don't rosin that up , special water Hash or Drysift deserves to stay as is instead of made into Rosin ( I love Rosin also just love top quality water Hash and Drysift Hash even more)

mr.brunch

Veteran
Dry ice extraction through the bag works lovely, and the powder stays powder-like.
My friend presses his into rosin and gets great results, but the resin smokes very smooth as it is.

Old Piney

I'm also a first-time bubble hasher yesterday. Mine turned out like you expected yours to. I pressed the water out a little on the paper and let it dry .This morning I had little pliable slabs of hash that I finger pressed into a ball. So what did we do different? I used a mix of Morrocan Beldia and kumaoni flower. I know that both these have teeny tiny resin heads

Last edited:

Hash Artist

Old piney you prob pressed too early. I never press water out of my hash. I like to draw it out with a silk screen and paper towel then break the resin down carefully to expose maximum surface area, which will speed the water evaporation. When u press so early you break the resin glands and the oil and water mix become amalgamated which cannot be undone. That water is now locked into the resin and quality will suffer.

Dabbert Globberfield

Hash artist is spot on, I didn't press water out of mine. I drew the water out through a mesh screen sitting on a towel. So it pulled the water out as I collected and washed more. Then I sieved what I could. But it was so sticky that some of it solidified and also froze(it was cold) so I microplaned some. It was a crazy sticky mess. Also, I used fresh frozen material.

Thanks for all the props for the washing. I will keep that in mind for future washing, as the hash did come out looking awesome. I just wasn't exactly going for that. But I will know what to do now, if I don't press into rosin.

I am curious, since I did smush it all into balls and all that... what should I do with those balls? Should I let them air out for a while? Should I just store them for a while?

Do you think they will turn into what hash normally looks like over time? Like, if I tried to pinch off a piece from one of those balls right now it would be impossible cause it's like taffy/sugar.

Dabbert Globberfield

Yea, that looks like what I would consider traditional hash. I seem to have turned the bubble I had into pressed hash when I squished it up and then rolled it into balls.
slabby.jpg

If I would have posted before squishing it up like I did I probably would have stopped myself.

Either way, it is so glassy and hard right now until you hold it, like a cooling candy consistency. Pulling a piece off is not easy because it's like really sticky dab with long dab tails trailing off the glob. I am hoping that after a month or 2 of being wrapped up in a jar they turn into a different consistency.

Otherwise, I really am considering trying to press some of this into rosin. Its current consistency would lend itself well to forming a perfect shape to use to put into a bag. Then I can just try slow pressing it like bubble or sift.

I do have some drying stuff that is about to be ready. I will try pressing some as powder like I wanted. But some of the really good looking stuff I might hang on to based on what you all have said. Because it looks like it will do the same thing and clump up/melt together if I bring it out of the drying room.
2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg

6.jpg

Brother Nature

Mate, you've made some killer looking hash there, you don't need to do anything with it. That third set of photos on your first post is what everyone aims for with bubble, great job. The reason they pressed it was for transport, it doesn't improve anything, it's not necessary. Wouldn't rosin it either, it'll ruin the complexity, but that's more of a personal taste. Again ,great job dude, I want to smoke all of that...

Green81

Veteran
Frenchycolloni has amazing info on howto with hash making but looks like your got it sussed. Great quality bubble should stay as bubble 😊
Inferior bubble straight to rosin or grab a sift table for the best hash in the world.
SamSkunkman makes a 99% dry sift that many few will never be able to try.

Great looking hash bro!

Dabbert Globberfield

Thanks!

I did a lot of research before actually doing the deed. I definitely watched some of his videos, build a soil's video on making hash rosin was very helpful as well and the guy in that video said he learned and worked directly with frenchy at some point, also that Mr Canook guy on youtoob has a good washing video. I took points from a lot of videos, but those were the top 3. Plus other random info articles and the stuff in books I own about it. I made sure to have all the proper tools on hand as well. I ended up doing 3 loads with 4lbs of fresh frozen material. I did each load differently as I learned more through doing it.

The first load I used 7 bags just to see and I ended up mixing a bunch together at the end cause what I had at the end didn't look like much separate. I also lost a bunch in the bags and stuff cause it was sooo sticky. I didn't have a good method yet. I was able to sieve everything no problem.

The 2nd load, I only used 4 bags (25, 45,160,220) and I feel like I did a pretty good job. But I put in too much ice early on and found that it made green come through faster requiring more spray washing of the heads in the bags between runs. This one was hard to sieve, some of the stuff globbed up and froze and would not sieve. So some of it was microplaned.

The 3rd load, I felt like a pro and had the area prepared and the tools ready. I used 5 bags (25, 45, 73, 160, 220). I made sure to have a surplus of water and ice, as I had to ration water previously and or cut loads short. I made sure to not let the heads freeze because this is what made sieving hard. I was able to sieve everything here no problem by making sure nothing froze and by not waiting too long to sieve for drying.

It blows my mind how much actual work this all is by yourself. I mean it went like this for me:

fill washer with ice
then weed
then ice again
then fill with water

wash for x time

drain through bucket bags
refill the washer and wait until I was part way done collecting from the bags
collecting from the bags is its own process as well
start washer
spray each bag layer individually and scoop out stuff
refill and pump sprayer cause it's a 2 gallon pump sprayer thing
stop washer
restack bags

wash for x time

then do all this like 4 more times and at the end, or during the process, you are also sieving or microplaning the collection into carboard boxes.

Then the clean up between loads as well. Especially after the first load were the bags looked like a teenager's sock.

on top of that I'm using distilled water bottles and bags of ice to refill when needed. Well, each wash needed at least 4 gallons of water. So I was washing around 6 times caused me to need at least 24 gallons just for that. At one point I had over 60 gallons of water and 40lbs of ice in my garage. When I was done I really didn't want to ever do it again lololol

I mean we are talking about 6hours of work each load... lolol

Here's some photos to break up the post. A bunch of my empty distilled gallons. I also use spacers for the bags. The bucket has holed in it and that drained into the tote. I hold the tube straight when draining for aim and to make sure nothing sits in a trap caused by the curve.

20230312_231522754.jpg 20230312_231819717.jpg 20230312_232146266.jpg 20230312_232446115.jpg

How are you all handling that: refilling the washer? No one ever talks about this part that much if at all in any guides or videos.

There is so much waste water, too. Like am I supposed to do something with the water that runs through the bags? I was just dumping it. Do people run that water through bags again or re-use in the washer? No, right? Because that is gross, plus you would expect the bags to pull everything first run.
EDIT: I would love to collect and distill this water cause it does smell very good

Also, what are your thoughts on tap water? Like.... I was really tempted to just change locations to where a hose was and use the hose. The pressure coming out of the hose would have been way better than the sprayer I have. Plus having to refill it and pump it a bunch in between doing all this stuff sucks.

I was thinking maybe I could just wash in the washer with distilled water then use the hose water to spray clean and collect on the bags. How do people in videos have so much water pressure spraying ro/distilled water? I don't want to have to use an air compressor... it's probably an air compressor isn't it?

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran
Also, what are your thoughts on tap water? Like.... I was really tempted to just change locations to where a hose was and use the hose. The pressure coming out of the hose would have been way better than the sprayer I have. Plus having to refill it and pump it a bunch in between doing all this stuff sucks.

Do it for sure.

Hook a sprayer to a hose and use it to push the resin through the bags. It really helps clean them and get it down to the screen size you are after. If you think about it I'm sure less 1/10 a percent of that water remains in your hash. Unless I had real dirty tap water I wouldn't worry about contaminates.

I did it this way after seeing video online. You want it t foam up in the bags. Keep spraying until there is no more foam. By spraying at with a little force you are ensuring that you only have 75U in your 75 bag vs 45 & 75.

My 2 cents.

Here are two of videos I watched. On the first one go to around 9:55 and you will see how he pushes it through the bags with a sprayer. Your using a washing machine but there are still plenty of tips to take from these two videos.

Last edited:

hamstring

Veteran

Latest posts

Latest posts