What's new

***DrBud Takes CFL SOG to the Next Level***

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
All my grows are linked in my sig and I already did a DrBud Method thread and proved it worked back when I was a noob a year ago it was my 2nd grow too haha.. My current is the Fluoro Frenzy which is the first link in my sig

MrBomDiggitty

Veteran
I tried this method, now I use 400w HPS.

Buds come out GREAT with CFLs... but you get only a week or two worth of smoke from 2-3 months of work.

I don't have anything from my HID set up to compare quality, but so far, my 400w set up is completely shitting on my previouos CFL grow in all areas of comparison.

Looks like I will yield from 4 plants what I would have needed at least 12 plants to come close.

T

tribeca

I for one was very critical of your method Drbud, but I kept it to myself because i had never tried it.While using cfls in veg it dawned on me that I can flower with these cfls.So here I am with a closed mouth and a open ear.Love your thread as well as the many others here.Staysafe and thanks for showing up.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
My threads are proof that anybody can run this method not just a grower with 25yrs under his belt, I will admit I got lucky with my first strain being perfect for this system cuz when I tried it with SR71 Purple Kush it was awful so it's strain dependent as well but all strains have a sweet spot!

maryjohn

Veteran
Dr bud someone quoted you as doing 7000 lumens per square foot, and that inspired me to do a 500 watt rubbermaid scrog.

Thanks and wish me luck!

hello Dr. bud, this isnt my 1st post here, but i had to abandon my old handle for security reasons. Your use of cfl's and space and your method of sog inspired me last year to go ahead and do my 1st indoor grow with cfl's. i was broke but could easily afford to buy a few cfl's here and there. after reading through your thread i was convinced i could produce some good bud with cfl's.

i used to grow outside in my youth, and have even bred my own strain over an eight year period. I do not have your extensive experience growing but i do understand mari and what it takes to make happy buds. i am a 100% organic grower using a mix of perlite/peat/and mushroom compost with added dolomite lime for minerals and 1 tsp mollasses/ gallon water foliar feed.

i like what you are doing and like the fact you are showing so many growers what can be done off grid on a miniscule budget, i have several very serious questions for you. i have read nearly every post you have made, and also have read all your threads looking for the answer to this, i dont believe i read it so i am asking. you stated you put 16 clones / square foot in a perpetual SOG, i understand that to be 16 young clones, and i believe you stated your mature plants are staggered and spaced a bit more. you stated that your G/W ratios are based on 16 plants per square foot, however when you have mature females about to harvest the density isnt that great. so my questions are: How many mature girls are placed / square foot, and what do you think your actual yield would be if you filled your cab with the max # of girls that would fit when they are all flowering full blast. i can see it would most likely be near or more than a gram/watt, so im just wondering have you ever done it this way without the perpetual sog, i cant do a perpetual grow, and theres no way i can keep mothers.

i think what is ticking everyone off is they arent quite getting why you are claiming such high numbers, and they think they see something amiss, only thing i see is less density while flowering, im pretty sure your grams/watt would still be extremely higher than normally expected from cfl's, but dont you think you have stretched the numbers just a tad because you are basing them on 16 plants / square foot during flowering and you arent flowering at that density? i believe a truer gram/watt would be aquired by multiplying the average number of dried grams/plant from the harvest by the number of mature girls that fit in your cab, and dividing by the total watts rather than by using 16/ square foot. which isnt the density you flower at. or in other words, if 9 mature girls fit / square foot, and you had 10 grams/ plant and you had 2 square feet for a total of 18 mature plants in the cab with 210 watts cfl's, then you get 180 grams which is .857 g/w. still insane #'s and impressive, but not what you are stating, i can see with 20 grams/ plant on the 3rd reveg getting nearly 2 grams/ watt, so im not arguing with you, only questioning the 3-4g/w. please dont get mad at me for pointing this out, as i admire what you are doing and i think it is insane and setting a standard for cfl growers and hid growers alike.

i do wish to try this method but not perpetual and im asking these questions because i dont want to get my grow space too crowded and end up with less yield, so i really need to know how many mature girls you would have / square foot. thank you for your help, and forgive me if i missed a post that contained this information.

ps. i love your watering method (have used it in the past on many species including cannabis), and i love your cloning method. kudos to you. and thank you again for showing us what can be done with cfl's. hope you dont mind, but below is a LP1 SMCG pheno from reeferman on harvest day, it had 33 tops, and the canopy wasnt even, so i had cfl's hanging everywhere and wasnt able to maximize the lights output with reflectors. i was quite pleased to pull 7.2 ounces from 2 plants in an 18 gallon tote. actually 160 grams of that came from the LP1 all by herself. the rest from the bagseed plant and the oil i made. 8.4 grams from the oil. the last photo isnt on harvest day, but shows the overall closet view.

im seriously going to do your method minus the perpetual next grow. so please help a brother out and let us know how many mature girls fit in your cab/ square foot, and what you expect the yield would be with the lower density required for mature girls, and if im missing something please show me my error. i do believe you can and do pull 1gram+/watt with cfl's. i will try this myself next time as soon as my current grow is finished and i have some peace of mind for a season not growing. thanks for the inspiration. i will post a detailed grow at my home sight, as well as post the end of the grow and the results here. so we are talking next spring most likely. Thank you and have a good day. Respectfully, Chief Runningbud.

Attachments

• 139 Harvest dayLP1 safe for internet.jpg
    139 Harvest dayLP1 safe for internet.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 134 Harvest Day lp1.jpg
    134 Harvest Day lp1.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 137 harvest day LP1 nug.jpg
    137 harvest day LP1 nug.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 107 42 days flower LP1 and blue girl.jpg
    107 42 days flower LP1 and blue girl.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 39
i forgot to say, i give kudos to Dr. Bud for the buds in my above post, he is the one that inspired me to go with cfl's. thank you Dr.

DR.BUD

I am setting up a 15x18x36in box....(184 watts cfl)
I ordered top 44...
do you have any ex. with top 44

I will also have a 12x12x15in veg/clone box
thanks....:joint:

well you dont have to explain further Dr. Bud, it hit me while i was taking a shower. DUH!! its BECAUSE you are running it perpetual that you yield so much, if you have a 9 week strain and you harvest 3 plants / week at 10 grams each then you got 30 grams/week x 9 weeks and you have 270 grams at the end of the 9 weeks for 1.29g/w. at 20 g/ plant it would be 540 grams for 2.58 g/w. i still would like to know how many mature girls you would put / square foot, and what you think the yield would be not doing it perpetual. thanks for any help.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Would you edit your long post Chief Rbud to be broken up into paragraphs?

I am interested in reading what you posted, but I'm overwhelmed when trying to read it due to lack of paragraphs.

pufferfish

Thundurkel...did you say strain dependent... im geting that mix bag c99 bx-1 & sonic fly from SB in a few weeks for my FRIST grow tell me ill be ok...by the way is the doc still in ?if not ill be comein to you for help if thats ok

Would you edit your long post Chief Rbud to be broken up into paragraphs?

I am interested in reading what you posted, but I'm overwhelmed when trying to read it due to lack of paragraphs.

any ideas on how, i have tried 4 times and it doesnt change a thing when i hit the button to save the changes, it goes back to the way it was

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
any ideas on how, i have tried 4 times and it doesnt change a thing when i hit the button to save the changes, it goes back to the way it was

I think it's an Internet Explorer problem. If you have another browser like Firefox installed, try that. I bet you say "but I'm on Firefox!" haha.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
The Doc is around but not that much as he used to be but I can help you out and I'm sure Blynx would be kind enough to shoot you some pointers on your first grow. Yea I did say strain dependent and with what you are getting I think you'll be fine just flower them at 4" or taller and you should have your sweet spot

Budweaver

Much respect Dr Bud. Love your work and your teaching.

It's hilarious to read the folks saying stuff like "I tried it and it didn't work for me so obviously you're lying" and "CFLs just can't produce better than HIDs. If they did, my head would asplode!" They're right up there with the fools who think you need 853 CFL bulbs to grow anything, when truely you just need to use the lumens you got at 100% efficiency before you jam in more bulbs.

Understanding the principles behind what Dr. Bud does is infinitely more important than trying to reproduce his grow. I've found his watering method to be absolutely vital to producing well in small containers (and really I think it's one of his "magic bullets" to making this grow amazing).

pufferfish

thanx Thundurkel i just read some of Blynx post awsome.i will make a post about my cab when i get my beans.cab is almost done...ill count on both you guys to help me out...thanx

zoidb3rg

Hahahahahah oh boy????????????
These is the ONE good plant again over and over,how many times you gonna
show that ONE plant dude???????????????????????????
Happy mini harvsts....

:muahaha:

Half of the shit he posted looked pretty loose, not how i like my nugs personally, why does he think he's the don of growing even though it's so diverse, seems very naive to me.

johnurse

wow im looking forward to this, i didnt think a plant would get that big in that small container but you made it happen bro, you have a gift

I think it's an Internet Explorer problem. If you have another browser like Firefox installed, try that. I bet you say "but I'm on Firefox!" haha.

i am.LOL, i would never use internet explorer. and ahh, Zoid, take a look at post # 863 to see what you can do with a little bit bigger setup but still in a closet. and like i said in an above post, i wasn't able to utilize all the cfl's light because all of them didnt have reflectors. i have since built a pair of very effective "hoods" that work great to concentrate the light right over my growing space, and they are adjustable easily height wise. my buds this go round look much bigger than they did last time at this time in flowering.