What's new

Dopest's "Cooler" DIY Chiller

Hitman

that is truly ingenious, can't out smart a stoner, the leaf gives you the blessing of creativity. Necessity is the mother of invention.

The Dopest

[THC] True Hippie Coonass
Veteran
Hitman said:
Necessity is the mother of invention.

thats the words i have had on the tip of my tongue since i did this and could not think of to save my life, lmao...
thanks Hitman!

Haps, sure if you put the pump in that bucket it would keep it cool, if you look in my pics, my pump is right under the float valve next to the chiller thingy[btw, wtf is that called?] and my control bucket is cooool :cool:
about the 12v model im sure it has some sort of chiller so it should work with small swc or ebb/flow or whatever. i think someone should try it, post up here! lets roll the DIY chillers :woohoo:

btw DT my temp adj. has a short copper tube comin from it too, click enlarge on my pics and you'll see it. thats why its right on the edge of my bucket, i have no more slack. i had to twist and manhandle the probe to get it to fit. they are pretty tough but be careful. :bat:

Last edited:

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Is the small tube the bulb and capillary type thermostat? Thanks hippie coonass!
H

Is it called the heat exchanger?
I am thinking of a new design, a single unit recirc dwc, made of a thirty gallon drum, with an internal pump, but the heat thing is an issue. But a small chiller / exchanger could do the trick, not with a short connect though. The car cooler thing might be a unit I could hang or build in my top airspace. Sorry, babbling.
H

The Dopest

Veteran
Haps, ethereal wassup :wave:

DeVenT, how ya lookin man, is it cool over there yet? i just want to throw this pic up, i took at nite with the hps off.

G

Hitman said:
that is truly ingenious, can't out smart a stoner, the leaf gives you the blessing of creativity. Necessity is the mother of invention.

I'll second that one. I'm sure most of you realize the human (and many other species) brain actually has cannibinoid receptors built in just WAITING for the chance to receive the precious gift only cannabis can give. It's no mistake that's for sure. The enlightening properties of the plant is what scares most of it's oppressors. Cannabis is far more than a party favor...it is like a key and the lock is on our brains. Insert the key and all of a sudden all the "serious" stuff in this world is funny. Ever wonder why that is? Ah, but at the same time, you get hungry. Ever wonder why that is? Cannabis opens the mind to REALITY. I know, everyone thinks they live reality with fast cars, bigscreen tv's, and flashy houses. However, reality is that most of those things are a joke. The proverbial carrot dangled in front of the donkey. Smoking and growing cannabis brings you back to your roots, pun intended. It reminds one of what is truely important in this life. Food, shelter, and happiness. Everything else is just there to confuse the issue.

Sorry for the rant, back to the major innovations brought to you all by The_Dopest! :woohoo:

hi stone2death. i agree with you. even thought it's just token and smoking it's make the human mind think more faster but it also affect ur body power

hey man regarding your problem with your model. I got one like it... i would say work on getting the coils off the bottom of your pot mine was plastic and took a push but slide off. after that i tired just using it on the top of the water with the coils in plastic tuperware.. i got about 5deg drop.. it was about 1/2 inch in the water. but it didnt work up to its potential. so what i have tired now is 4 bags some duck tape and a zip tie.. im in the 69-66 deg range and havnt really touched the temp controler yet. i think this will work the best now the coils are in ther water like 6 inches i am worried about the condensation but if it builds up will just ad a little drain tube up over the top in to a cup... im a amzed how great this works it took me from like 78-68 in a jiff. for 1.2 amps and 30 bucks used.. ill post some pics tomarrow..

The Dopest

Veteran
hazeywonder, another sucess story! be sure to post up oce you get a chance!

S2D, this is the problem you are havin with the temps not comin down alot
hazeywonder said:
i tired just using it on the top of the water with the coils in plastic tuperware.. i got about 5deg drop.. it was about 1/2 inch in the water. but it didnt work up to its potential. so what i have tired now is 4 bags some duck tape and a zip tie.. im in the 69-66 deg range and havnt really touched the temp controler yet. i think this will work the best now the coils are in ther water like 6 inches

G

Well, my coil is completely in the water. It's still attached to the stainless steel cup, which is more like half gallon in size. I don't think I can remove the cup, but if it gets cold, the water should too. I did remove the thermostat probe from inside the end of the coil. It was just a long thin wire pushed inside the coil, actually quite far. I'm hoping that by removing the thermostat probe from the coil and putting it directly in the water it will cool better. Last night the coolest I saw it was 74F which is an 8 degree drop after about 36 hours. I'm afraid the one I have might just be a bum unit.

The Dopest

Veteran
i think the coil is tryin to cool the ss cup and most of it is out of the water, therefore makin the cooler work its ass off to bring the temps down. most of the coolness is stickin out the water where its not needed. jmo though...

gl with it and anyone else with that type cooler be sure to post your results. since my canopy has filled in, my temps have been around 64-65 and the thermostat is up all the way. i may end up putting a timer on here in winter to only work for short durations during lights on.

G

The cup is below the water too...I did that after the pics you saw. It was sitting on top of my water pump, but it's been fully submerged for about 48 hours now and can't push below 74F. I think it's just because this unit is old, it just won't put out.

The Dopest

Veteran
and the thermostat is all the way counter clockwise? man 74s not as bad as 84 but i dont understand why i wont come down more! gl bro

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
fabulous, i know someone who works for a company delevering these and refilling em, I bet he could et me one..... nice thread man

Sorry this took so long. I really dont think people understand how good of idea this is. I run 8 buckets and a res. so its right around 35 gallons and it took me from 78-68. When i got it mine was just like the one with the metal bucket. So i sliped off the coils and instered them in a few plastic bags and submerged them..

The compressor you see on the ground there is now mounted up under the box there. That box is build to surround the back side of my ac so it has a 6" fan sucking from thetop out so now the compressor and heat sink stay even cooler and i see 66 with lites and ac on 68-70 lights off ac off.

The Dopest

Veteran
super tite Hazey, glad its workin so well for ya! 35gals are twice what im runnin glad to know i can upgrade to more buckets eventually without need for a new chiller.

thanks for postin up, stop back anytime!

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Got my first free unit today, curbside, on my way home, no gas cost incurred. I may have to build a recirc unit after all now! Thanks D.
T

Latest posts

Latest posts