What's new

Do-it-Yourself Vertitube - Homemade Vertical Cooling!

DirtDoctor

Thanks to all of you for the props - I'm glad to have somewhere like IC to share this info!

have you considered a support system for the branches?

Lol, yeah, I pretty much always tell myself that THIS is the run that I'll put up some screens..... but really, THIS TIME I'm gonna do it! I swear!!!

This next run is gonna be OG Kush - so I really really hope to god that I screen em....

:D

Last edited:

DirtDoctor

What are your plant in dirt or hydro.

This post is 3 years old :) But I still use 3-gallon pots of Pro-Mix HP

Best i've done over the years is ~7 1/2 off of the 3K, using Mr. Nice (G13xHP) and AN's 3-Part with Big-Bud/Overdrive and the occasional dose of random hippy teas :D

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Lol, yeah, I pretty much always tell myself that THIS is the run that I'll put up some screens..... but really, THIS TIME I'm gonna do it! I swear!!!

This next run is gonna be OG Kush - so I really really hope to god that I screen em....

:D

hahahahahahaha i feel ya!
i wish i saw this thread 6 months ago :(

Liam

Lol, I know this is an old thread.... but I'll answer some of these old questions!

NOT PLASTIC... in fact, don't even use REGULAR GLASS... absolutely must be borosilicate glass, the same glass the outer glass layer of your bulbs. You could use fused quartz glass also... but it literally is 100X more expensive, but truly superior... no one has fused quartz glass cool tubes... you can get them though... drool.

Cutting a glass tube isn't easy. Some cool tubes are made of flat borosilicate glass rolled and riveted into a cylinder.

Once you get heavy colas, use concrete wire mesh (1foot grid), bent into a cylinder, Then you put it between the lights and the colas, and tuck colas behind the mesh.

3lbs per 1000w is the average yield for a well designed vertical system.

B

Bob Smith

Damn DD, I wish I would've seen this thread before I bought a 4L600 from Octagon (pic in avatar) - mainly bought it for the base, and now I see it's just a standard Home Depot part (DOH!!).

Nice setup, bro.

If you're interested, I could show you some parts of my Vertitube (via pics - attached a couple from when I broke a section and had to take it apart) and you could probably reverse engineer the entire thing - it's got metal pieces which fit into each other which gives it more stability (I'm guessing) than pieces resting on top of each other and using either duct tape or a PVC rubber connector.

Also, I have an uneven floor (and wasn't crazy about the stability of the base to begin with) so I put some self-leveling legs on a piece of plywood and duct taped that to the base - 1000% improvement in stability.

Attachments

• 11.18.10 011.jpg
    11.18.10 011.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 11.18.10 012.jpg
    11.18.10 012.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 11.18.10 002.jpg
    11.18.10 002.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 11.18.10 004.jpg
    11.18.10 004.jpg