What's new

DIY Worm Bin for dollars.

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Interesting guys, my only issue is all the acronyms you organic guys use. It would come together a lot faster if there was a thread that listed all of you organic guru's acronyms and slang ;) ;)

J

JackTheGrower

I just have red wigglers indoors. haven't tried it with other composting worms.

bokashi bran you can make with LAB culture or EM.

I imagine if you had bedding that absorbs well but dries out well, and some bokashi bran to mix with your bsf leach (like a runny paste), you would have some nice worm food.

No no the leachate is in 2 liters already and is fine as a liquid plant food.. I have been feeding clones in 1 gallon pots with that and kelp liquid..
I have the large amount of solids the BSF are in that I wish to have the earthworms eat if they will. I may want to mix new foods with old..

I haven't had a proper worm bin in years and certainly not since I joined the organic soil forum.
You know I have to get classy with my first ICMag OSF worm casting season..

It will be time to order from Cosmo.. Hell I like they guys product.. Very professional the last time I ordered and the worms and vermi-culture were excellent.

So worms eat on the surface so should I slowly add the muck from the BSF mixed with BBran do you think? Will the Earthworms eat the decomposed materials along with the bbran?

J

JackTheGrower

From the Worm Queen;

If you’ve ever looked into an active worm bin you might have noticed that the worms were not the most numerous organisms visible.

All rights reserved, Kelly Slocum, 2001

Excellent post.. Love the BSF bit.. I have a large plastic tub with my BSF muck and BSF's in it I wish to process with worms.

Feeling really stoked after reading that bit in your post..

J

JackTheGrower

Interesting guys, my only issue is all the acronyms you organic guys use. It would come together a lot faster if there was a thread that listed all of you organic guru's acronyms and slang ;) ;)

I still need to get some of it straight myself.. If you work with it then the acronyms are easier to understand IMO..

ehonda187

I will definitely be incorporating BSF larvae into my outdoor compost bins next spring as I am impressed on how fast they accelerate break down within the pile. Oh the diverse life within a compost pile.....:joint:

maryjohn

Veteran
my worm bins now have these weird little flies... they are small but bigger than fruit flies and much better flyers.

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Jack: For sure, just a bit easier for the new to organic guys to have a sticky to reference as a one stop than to chase down terminology for a few hours to get to the meaning of something that is probably quite simple.

If I knew what the hell you guys were talking about I'd get started instead of talkin about it lol

J

JackTheGrower

Well that's a doable thing fer-shure..

Doesn't replace doing the reading tho...

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Jack: For sure, just a bit easier for the new to organic guys to have a sticky to reference as a one stop than to chase down terminology for a few hours to get to the meaning of something that is probably quite simple.

its kind of hard to know which ones you would like to know.

ehonda187

The other guys..Eisenia hortensis

The other guys..Eisenia hortensis

These Guys just came about an hour or so ago and were put into a seperate bin that I put together this morning for the new workers. These are in the same family of the little red wigglers. These are also called European Red Worms and are 2 times the size of counterpart the Eisenia Fetida. They are supposed to be compost powerhouses and by the looks of these guys ravaging the food in the bin, it should not take long at all for these guys to break it down. :joint:

Kaneh

From the Worm Queen;

If you’ve ever looked into an active wo...
...All rights reserved, Kelly Slocum, 2001

Thanks for that MM!
Very good info!

I think I allready solved my mite "problem".
I knew that something was missing from my indoor ecosystem, so I took couple handfulls of brown autumn leaves from ground outside and tossed 'em to the bin.
I don't have anymore massive amounts of mites swarming on top surfase.
Theyre still there, but theres also other same sized bugs, might be some natural enemy to compost-mites. (just a quess)

J

JackTheGrower

leaves?

leaves?

I'm pondering what to mix with the BSF muck.. Would leaves be good with worms?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yea jack chopped leaves, leafmold, unfinished compost, pile compost, all seem to fit your needs perfectly. just mix the BSF castings in the new bedding and watch them eat away.

C

Chong_Irie

this thread ( & organic gardening in general) is pretty much why I joined this site! Lots of knowledge being kicked out and I already got a lil worm bin set up getting ready for spring.:dance:

do compost bins attract animals?? My old man is a gardener and I asked him why he doesn't do a compost bin and he said it attracts animals.

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
if you dont manage your scraps right it could. done properly there will be no smell or pests in the wormbin or compost pile.

DARC MIND

Veteran
do compost bins attract animals?? My old man is a gardener and I asked him why he doesn't do a compost bin and he said it attracts animals.
as jay said if done right then no animals or smell and just great compost. But many tend to get lazy & dont turn or mix the right amount of greens and browns.
this is why many compost bins made and or sold are enclosed to a certain extent. allowing oxygen to penetrate and small critters to get in side but keep out bigger larger animals or rodents. Many also advise to cover/slightly burry fresh food scraps and not to use meats or some dairy products.