What's new

DIY mini AC for cabinet use beta v.0.0.1

bud_me

I'm curious as well, especially with the thermostat added, should be able to keep it at the perfect temps constantly and perhaps even chill it just enough during nightime for the plants to get some color out of them...

K

kelimmo

Nice to see you're still interested in this one.
I lost my internet connection for a few weeks and haven't been able to update.
The only problem now is the noisy fan (honeywell jet engine-like) and just waiting to have the budget to buy a new, silent one. The first run i'll be running a 210w cfl to start with and tune everything in nicely. I'll have much better chanses of getting away with a lot more problems with the cooling using a cfl than if I would have used a hps right away. The yield will not be an issue anyway as I'm doing this setup just for fun. I have some blueberry clones to put in there and will start growing in the AC cab by the end of this week.

The thermostat keeps the temps at +- 1 degree C from the set value so it prevents the compressor from running and stalling with rapid intervals. I'll be keeping the "night" temps at a few degrees below room temperature and around 10 degrees C below day temps to get everything out of the blueberry's potential and show what the setup can do :)

The testing is getting to its end now and I'm confident that this setup should be really easy to maintain. A problem is that the cold coil keeps the relative at 0% all the time without a humidifier now that I've sealed everything up and added 11kg pulling neodym magnets to keep the door shut. That's just a minor problem and should be fixed with an ultraponic fogger easily.

I could go take some pictures of it now.

K

kelimmo

OK, sorry for the delay. Time for an update.

I've started using the cab now and three blueberry midget clones are flowering in the cab. The drainage system for the condensated water is new and approved. Some mylar coated insulation is a new feature too.

The electronics are dangling there temporarily in the pics.

The upper part of the cab still looks a mess. The new fan is readily undersized and can't cope with the heat output of a 400w HPS. But as long as it's quiet and blows out all the heat crated by the compressor and a 210w cfl I'm happy. I will be updating it for the next round.

Sealing with aluminium tape is bein reconstructed.

C

Cozy Amnesia

Thats fuckin awesome man, now I just need to find a dehumidifier...

winkdogg

just could have added duct work ?? this thing is no good..im sorry but i see lots of cool diy and this is not 1:( waste of money...it cost a ton of money to run those units! just vent hot air out ! much to much waste here for -10degrees...and what happens to all the water pouring off the condenser??

thread necromancy. i remember when this was first posted i checked for updates every day. now that i look at it again it seems like overkill but i'd love to hear any updates.:joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts