What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY Ebb & Flo Bucket Controller and System

G

pontiac said:
Woah i'm liking this better than kryptos.

Don't know about that but thanks for the comment and support.

Misc

Ok, going back alittle bit again. This is something i think will make mounting the timer box easier. I'm epoxing the nut to the inside of the timer box plate. This will allow me to screw the bolts from the inside of the bucket into the box. You'll see what i'm talking about later on, if you don't understand what i'm talking about. All you got to do is dab alittle epoxy over the holes on the plates and place the nuts over each hole and that's it. Let dry and your done.

G

Thanks Sleepy and bandan. I'll try to get around to updating soon. Been super busy at work this week and been dog tired. Next update will be the wiring of rely's and float switches. I'm going to order some pumps tomorrow also. Hopefully by next weekend. I should have the whole system done and fine tuned. If all goes well, there should be water flooding the buckets. Thanks again everyone and thanks for the support.
Take care

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Looking good~ 1 question, Do rubber grommets not work at sealing the float switch elbows?

take care,
bartender187

G

Sorry, been super busy with other things. I did pick up the bucket stuff out of storage and will be getting back to the thread with plenty of updates. Next update will be the wiring and test firing the wiring and pumps. I'm going to order all the buckets either tomorrow or tues, so keep an eye out for next week. I should have the system done by end of the weekend of next week. Then i'll go through the thread and make any correction and answer any questions. Sorry, been to busy to really work on the system. I will get back to it and get it all finished and tested. Once i'm done with this system. I will be starting a Aero Custom Tube system next.
Thanks and take care,
BG

V

vhGhost

Damn it i love these controllers, i've been really wanting to get 1 of these going, but i'm so happy with my ebb/flo tables! .. Great threaD

G

Hey dc105, sorry alot of personal stuff has been happening. Was sick very bad there for about a week or so. I also got some bad news that i don't want to share. I'm trying to get some stuff taken care of and should have this thread all tired up and almost done this Aug 19,20. Got some personal stuff to attend to and then i can get back to finishing up the thread. Everything is sitting in storage and not to worry. I'll finish up the thread and then go back through the thread and do some editing. I ran into some problems with the float switches. It looks like i was set the wrong ones, but i made the changes to make the work. I'll go over that in the next update. I'm sorry for those that have been waiting. I just got really sick and a family personal problem came out of no where's. Thanks and plan on seeing the updates no later then Sat 19 and Sunday the 20th of this month. Thanks and take care everyone
BG

G

Afternoon everyone, was in chat talking about these controller's today. I'm going to run and grab all my gear and have a update sometime by this late afternoon or early tonight. So, stick around and i should have some nice updated info and pictures. Thanks for waiting around. Sorry, been super busy with alot of stuff. Be back later on with some good stuff.
Take care,
BG

G

Afternoon members, guest, and friends. Today i picked up my gear and got back to work on the bucket system. Now, let's get back to work. Sorry, for the delay. I hope some major family problems and things are still alittle upside down right now. Here's the next step and update.

Wiring Float Switches

Ok, your going to want to pull the float switch wire through the bottom of the timer box. You can either pull them through the same hole as the power cord or drill another hole and pull them through the new hole. This is up to you and your choice. My hole for my power cord still had enough room for me to pull the float switch wires through and i just used the same hole. Here's a picture of mine and what it looks like.

G

Supplies

These are the supplies i used and other might want to make any changes as needed. Might want to use different wire or female disconnects.

2-3 packs of Female Disconnects #16 - #14 AWG
2 rolls of 16 gauge wire. I prefer different colors. Black and Red
2 Plug In Relays 275-217 Radio Shack 125VAC/10A DPDT Plug-In Relay

Last edited:
G

Ok, been hard at work getting all the wiring all done. I ran into a problem with the power outlet. I've got to do some checking and test fire the unit. Once i get the last two wires figured out and everything up and working right. I'll list the steps to wiring the relays,outlet, and timer. Since i'm using a different plug then the ones with wires. I'm alittle confused, but i think i got it figured out. Here's the unit and pumps i'm getting ready to fire up and test. As of now, the outlet is powered up and i can hear the timer tick. Yes, if you put your ear up to the timer. You can hear it ticking. I'll try to have the steps posted by tonight if all goes well. Thanks for all the support and waiting around for me to get back to work.
Take care,
BG

G

Afternoon everyone, just got done drilling a couple of buckets and fittings in place. Well, for some reason. I got a bunch of 1/2" hose and not the 3/4" like i need. I'm going to run to Home Depot in the morning and test fire the unit. I "think" everything is wired right. If everything trips and runs right. I'll post the wiring steps and show some nice flooding pictures. Here's how i drilled my buckets. I'm using 3/4" fittings. The holes must be drilled with either a 7/8" or 19mm holesaw bit. I'm pretty sure they are the same bit. At least mine said both sizes printed on the side of mine. I'll make sure to update everyone on the status of the wiring and results tomorrow.
Take care,
BG

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Great going GDW..... I have a bunch of parts for this but coldnt suss it out for UK voltages-some bits will be different right??
If any1 who knows how could "Englandify" this it would be wonderful..coz i hate half finished projects lol

resinryder

Rubbing my glands together
Veteran
Hiya GDW. Just saw this thread. Great to see you about to get ya grow on again. Been a long time and I know you're excited. Best of luck with your project!!!

G

WOW, final someone replied to my thread. lolol, joking

Harry, yes. There are a few things that will be alittle bit different. One thing i'm doing is running all fittings and hose in 3/4". I want a better flow and less chance of clogging from maybe root material. Other stuff that are different at the box that houses the timer. Not a tupperware container. The plug outlet is like one from the wall and wiring is alittle bit different. Also, i'm going with some large pumps that pull pretty good and fast. Very good flow, so i can fill and drain fast. I'm going to get this project done and then revamp the thread so it reads better and better directions. As for your voltage problem. They should have the same timer style over in UK, but in the 220 50 hertz that you need. Might want to search google or call a local pool place.
thanks for stopping by,
BG

Hy Ryder, I'm just getting ready and building this Demo system. Once i got it working right. I'll stash it with the other goodies i got. I won't be able to grow for alittle while longer. This is a project to keep me busy and out of trouble. Next project after this one. Is going to be a Aero system. 6" PVC pipe system. I'm really looking forward to building that system. Thanks for stopping by and the support. Thanks to both of you.
Take care,
BG

Attention​

I'd like to stop and explain something. Some of you might have noticed that i'm building this system as i go along. I'm doing this for one real reason. Us grower's sometimes build our systems or make changes to a store bought system. Well, we run into problems and need help. I'm trying to keep this thread real. I want to show any and all problems i run into. I'm hoping this will help others if they too have any of the same problems. I'm going to edit the whole thread once done. I will highlight problems and also highlight corrections. I hope this method does not confuse anyone.
Thank you,
BG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts