What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY duct silencer - didn't cost me a dime

T

TroubleGuy

I'm glad you found the idea useful and could adjust it for your needs.

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
Sony, make cardboard boxes of the very highest quality !

This is lined with 3 layers of Leroy Merlin's finest [green] felt tiles for soundproofing laminate wooden floors. The air is diverted into a C movement by a separator flange, the results are unbelievable effective, 95% of all wooshing noise gone, really hard to detect 2 foot away.

Mr Apricot

nice! i once made scrubninjas lightproofvent from thick cardboard. it took forever. this is far better use of cardboard

señorsloth

Veteran
this is awesome! i was already planning on using a cardboard box to build a large light trap for my cab, so that the exhaust can make several turns while being big enough that the air wont be slowed substantially, my plan was to buy that expensive acoustical foam that they use in recording studios, and coat all the turns with it to deaden the sound of my fan, which is already pretty quiet. you can get it online for sorta cheep, but i'm sure if regular egg carton foam works almost as good i could just use more of it if i need to because that stuff is dirt cheep!

also when he says egg carton foam i don't think he is referring to actual egg cartons is he? but more that foam layer some people put on their mattresses? it's bumpy and resembles the inside of an egg carton, but i can't imagine actual egg cartons doing any good at all?

I'm building a soundbox for my inline fan at the moment. I'm using the box the fan came in because it's a perfect size. I already closed it up and put a six inch hole-saw through each side of the box. I'll install the fan into the box and then attach air-tight 6" sleeves that stick out of the box, one for intake, and one for exhaust of course.

Once I'm happy with that then i'll fill the box with the shredded paper from my paper-shredder. I'm hoping to fill it completely so making sure the intake and exhaust couplers are air-tight to the fan is important.

After I close-up the box i'll probably duct-tape the crap out of it on the outside to make it solid, or I may even coat it with a rosin or epoxy type coating to make it hard like wood.

If this doesn't work out so well, I also have an omaha steaks styrofoam container/igloo (that they send steaks and meat to you in) that I could use for a sound box.

gardenfather

Question, If I just release it into the same room is that okay? or will the box get to hot and catch fire? My setup is in the basement, I do not want to throw the air outside the windows.