What's new

DIY carbon filters

minds_I

Veteran
MTF-Sandman said:
..... I usually shake and slap mine around while filling it so that it compacts as much as possible.........

Buahahahahahahaha,

As I was quoting out of context the humor of that statement brought a chuckle to my face.

But the reason I bring this up is that I used a vibrating sander to shake things up- worked like a charm I highly suggest it.

I ordered my carbon in 55 pound sacks- delivered very discretely. I bought 4X6 virgin coco steam activated carbon for 82 bux to my door.

I use a 9.5" O.D.X4" I.D.X 18" long. 1050 cubic inches. Approx .61 cuft. @ 30#/cuft approx 18# which will make 3 changes and last me maybe 3 years.

Its a SIS design concept filter.

minds_I

www.carbonactivatedcorp.com

Last edited:
G

MTF-Sandman said:
lol...don't sweat it. They'll still be good for prefilters or for your home. You can build your own quality scrubber with the materials you have plus some quality carbon. This is a 6"x8"x32".
Sandman, May I ask how big your room is? What your fan rated at? I'm going to try using a Stanley with a Stanley blower fan. Thanks!

Last edited:

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
That scrubber went in a 5x10x8 room for 2K with a 6" Fantech pulling across the hoods. I think the fan is rated at a hair under 400cfm.

G

After shipping, it's like $25 for 118oz of carbon from petsmart's site, so that seems to be the best thing going.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello,

OK I will do the math:

118 ounces is 7.35 pounds @ 25 bux equals 25 is $3.38/lb.

55 pounds @ 82 bux (including shipping ) equals $1.49 / pound.

hmmmmmmm

OK boys and girls -which is cheaper?

minds_I

PS: this is for quality virgin 4X6 mesh steam activated coco carbon

Last edited:

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
lol...I'm thinking he doesn't want a spare 50lbs laying around and is willing to pay extra to not have to deal with storing it :D For bigger scrubbers that's absolutely the cheapest way to fill/refill them. Moutain air wants $4 a lb. when buying in bulk for their stuff...plus shipping. That's crazy IMO...

G

MTF-Sandman said:
That scrubber went in a 5x10x8 room for 2K with a 6" Fantech pulling across the hoods. I think the fan is rated at a hair under 400cfm.
Thanks Sandman! I have close to the same area to work with. Those specs give me a starting point to work with!
My 1st design is 6 by8 by 28" .
On a side note of interest, Are You familiar with any experiments using micron filter socks? Thanks

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
I made mine out of a five gallon bucket, hardware cloth, vinyl window screening, and (6) 9oz jugs of Activated Carbon from the aquarium department at Wally World :D

Sure, looks ghetto as hell, but shit, who's gonna see it? My main thing - it works. I've got an 8" 747cfm (speed controlled to about 25%) Vortex pulling in the funk and heat of my (until recently) 8 plant grow. It wiped it clean. Totally. Gone. And still going. :D

Grand total - right at $45

And yeah, I tried the double layered premade filters, worked for about 12 hours :pointlaug

G

Anyone try refilling a commercial filter?

Anyone try refilling a commercial filter?

Anyone try refilling a commercial carbon filter with activated carbon (like the buckets sold on eBay)?

Those Phat Filters look pretty solid and well-built, and looks like it can be taken apart fairly easily and refilled.

I wouldn't mind getting a "proper" filter that's fitted correctly, outside casing designed well and so on the first time around and just refilling it out of a 5 gallon bucket I can buy off eBay.

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
Never tried the micron filter socks...not enough scrubbing surface area IMO to be of much use for serious odors.

PR - just make sure that you pack the scrubber full when you reload it. You can place the scrubber on a washing machine with an unbalanced load in it to help compact the carbon while you're filling it...they use shaker plates in the factories when they fill them to help make sure that as much as possible gets in there.

That guy on Ebay with the 25lb buckets has some really good quality carbon...it should last at least a year between changes unless your RH% is really high.

G

Minds I I contacted CA corp today they want 50$ and 40$ shipping for 55lbs.Still a good deal. However I want the coal based carbon with it's larger 8 by 30 pore size so I can use it in my aquariums also. I learned last night the cocco base carbon with it's very small pore size is better suited for filtering air. You guys think the coal based stuff will be ok to use? While not the best I think it will still be effective. Also I wasn't too happy having to buy pantyhose! Not good for the "tough Guy Image" :pointlaug . Anyway I put a small run in one leg. OK to double up!

PhilCuisine

Mofo SWC/TRON Master
ICMag Donor
I got 1 cubic ft. of activated carbon on ebay for $65 shipping included. Actually I offered the guy $50 for it and he took it. my question is how many home made scrubbers can I make??? any guestimations? Hope this helps. :chin:

MTF-Sandman

OG Refugee
Veteran
^^My 6"x8"x36" uses about 12lbs of carbon...if that gives you any ideas. 1lb of carbon takes up around .026 cu/ft of volume.

If you've got the dimensions of the scrubber I can work the math for ya.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

One cubic foot of AC (depending on type and activation method and more) is approx 30#/cuft.

What is the grain size (ie 4x6, 4x8.....???)

What kind of carbon is it?

PS: my filter uses about 1/2 cuft- I bought a 55# sack of virgin 4x6 steam activated coco carbon for 82 bux delivered from a carbon manufacturer.

minds_I

Last edited:

Brownpants

A cheap alternative to activated Carbon is to use silicone beads found in kitty litter. The beads are porous, enabling them to trap odour molecules (same as activated carbon) and have colour indicators showing when they need to be replaced. Not to mention they are alot cheaper 6.5 lbs for $7 at Wal-smart.

minds_I

Veteran
Hello all,

Silicon crystals are effective but not as effective as AC.

Silicon crystals are a dissicant- they remove moisture rather then odors.

They are not as effective or as long lasting as the genuine article.

There is no comparison for odor adsorbtion.

minds_I

marx2k

Veteran
Question: Lets say you have a 3x3x6' cab. With a Vortex 6" inline pulling 449CFM. Is it more effective to have one 24" carbon scrubber can sitting in one corner of the cab going to the cooltube, to the fan and out the cab OR.. is it more effective to have one 12" can in each back corner of the cab with a Y connection to the ducting before the cooltube, to the fan and out the cab?

Latest posts

Latest posts