What's new

Deep Congo

PondeLftHndSide

Veteran
Good luck to you, MushroomMan. They're plenty viable. I had 4 Deep Congo seeds left, and last week I decided to sprout them. They've been in my fridge in a little 1/2 dram glass vial with a few grains of rice for nearly two years, and all 4 were topside within 5 days of sowing. I direct-seeded them in 8oz cups of coco and used a heat mat. I've been getting close to 100% germination with all the seeds I've sprouted like that lately, regardless of age. And haven't lost any to damping off, which happened all the time when i used paper towels.

PondeLftHndSide

Veteran
I've finally got my DCon pheno A dialed. With a proper flush and nighttime temps in the mid 60s, this pheno almost turns black... and since I switched to 1000W sodiums from 600s, the yield has easily doubled. DCon likes a lot of light - only the stuff that gets plenty of coverage develops well, the popcorn usually stays really, really scraggly. Under the 1000, there was no popcorn - the light punched through enough to develop the lower buds, and as a result I'm anticipating my highest Deep Congo yield to date.

She's a beauty... more pics as I have time.
picture.php

PondeLftHndSide

Veteran
More pics:

The whole plant. The Smart Pot really did make a huge difference. I'm thinking at least 85 grams, which will be a big step up from previous DCon grows. Wonderful herb, but until now I've had one really nice yield, many average, and several pathetic. This girl looks like she earned her space.
picture.php

Beautiful deep magenta leaves, in some spots literally almost black. Many of the calyxes are completely colored, many are striated, and many are light green.

picture.php
picture.php

This shot shows some of the foxtailing. She usually packs lots of big, fat tendrils on top of her already swollen clusters, but under the bright light of the 1000's the foxtails filled in and foxtailed again.

picture.php

I've got four Deep Congo seedlings a few days old... all females will be keepers and seedmoms. The Deep Congo and her progeny will never leave my genetic library. Thanks and mad props to all who made this incredible hybrid possible - ACE, Tom Hill, Richard Williams, our friends at Seedbay, all the way back to the Afghan and Congolese selectors who tended and guided the ancestral lines. Good luck to all on their Deep Congo grows!

D

deepforest

is this strain sold out and gone forever??? anyone got a couple beans i could score?

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PLHS- She looks beautiful!! I can taste it from here. Any plans to make F2's this round?

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
More pics:

The whole plant. The Smart Pot really did make a huge difference. I'm thinking at least 85 grams, which will be a big step up from previous DCon grows. Wonderful herb, but until now I've had one really nice yield, many average, and several pathetic. This girl looks like she earned her space.
picture.php

Beautiful deep magenta leaves, in some spots literally almost black. Many of the calyxes are completely colored, many are striated, and many are light green.

picture.php
picture.php

This shot shows some of the foxtailing. She usually packs lots of big, fat tendrils on top of her already swollen clusters, but under the bright light of the 1000's the foxtails filled in and foxtailed again.

picture.php

I've got four Deep Congo seedlings a few days old... all females will be keepers and seedmoms. The Deep Congo and her progeny will never leave my genetic library. Thanks and mad props to all who made this incredible hybrid possible - ACE, Tom Hill, Richard Williams, our friends at Seedbay, all the way back to the Afghan and Congolese selectors who tended and guided the ancestral lines. Good luck to all on their Deep Congo grows!

:drool: holy shit dude, AMAZING job! look at those colors!

Lean Green you are the official ambassador for DeepCongo, i think :joint:

ArcticBlast

PondeLftHndSide

Veteran
Thanks so much for the props on the photos, I appreciate it. But the fact that it's a beautiful plant is completely secondary to the fact that it has the most amazing, expansive, rhythmic, creative head. I know a lot of people select for floral appearance and color, but that's the absolute last criteria on my list when selecting a keeper. I've got a few ugly girls in my garden who really know how to ring my bell, bonus that this one does it so well with such stunning beauty to boot.

When deciding if something sticks around, for me it's 100% about the finished product - where does it take my head? In the final court of arbitration (usually a bong or a big doobie), the Deep Congo proves she knows where to take it.

Lean - I'm all over the F2 now, you know it. Just sprouted my last 4 seeds, I'm sure there's at least one boy in there. If not, I'll make a CS generator and ladyboy all of my DCon girls into the F2 if I have to. Most recent pollinations - Deep Congo A x Tribal Vision, and (Chimera Highland Mexican x DJ Short Blueberry) x Tribal Vision. Now I've got the Tribal Vision male crossed into every one of my keeper females. Also on schedule, the two HMxBB males are going into flower, for some HMxBB F2s. My goal with those is to find faster maturing and bulkier individuals in the F2 that maintain the Mexican head, and then cross those F2 plants with pure X-18. The HMxBB F1 is a slim, lanky, temperamental girl, but she has the most beautiful little buds on her sleek frame, so she can get away with being a diva.

ArcticBlast

Veteran
man i cant wait, this seriously sounds like my dream weed! Lean Green, PondeLHS, great pics, what a great thread, just awesome!

I have congo coming in the mail, maybe some deep congo in the works, waiting on RW or DW to release congo bx2, i love it :joint: great holiday

ArcticBlast

Lean Green

Operating Outside the Law
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so i cant get my hands on these beans?
There is a chance that seed boutique has more of them. I have seen it sell out before only to be relisted later.I think a lot of people order things and never pay. Check the bou out every now and then.

ArcticBlast

Veteran
richard williams has said a couple times that he's going to do a backcross, or HAS done a backcross, a few times already, but i don't think he's said when he's releasing it!

but as far as seedboutique, yes, they're sold out

ArcticBlast

T

THE PABLOS

...Killer plant Ponde....I'm fer sure goin' to try and get some of these. Very good idea to make the f2. I'm flowerin' a couple Congos....ya pretty much know what I'm up to already....but think this cross may be a direction I'd like to go. I'll get with ya on my Congo work and show ya what I get....be awhile. Happy Holidaze dude.

Worried about my DC seeds...

Worried about my DC seeds...

Shit. Shit. Shit. Shit.:wallbash:
I was SO stoked for these seeds. I mean, Deep Congo captured my heart back when I first saw this thread, months before I even started growing. I told myself to wait, and not start my first grow with them - too precious. Anyways, I've gotten pretty confident in my skills and figured that I should grab a pack - turns out it was one of the last ones! That only made it so much sweeter.
With space scheduled to be available in my closet within a month or so, I decided that it was time to germinate the next round. So 8 DC, 4 Ganesh, 4 Satori, 1 PPP, 5 MNS Dreamtime Mix, and 4 O.HazexSkunk1 were put in damp kitchen towels for a day or so until most of the seeds opened, but barely any taproot was showing. A few seeds didn't crack but were planted anyways.
They were all planted 1cm deep in a plain potting soil/ewc/perlite mix and have been kept moist but not wet with a spray bottle. They were put in the soil on the 6th, 4 days later and I have 15 babies currently showing out of 26 seeds. Not showing are all 8 Deep Congo and 3 of the notoriously hard-to-germinate O.haxe.skunks. I know that I should be patient, but I'm kinda worried. What could be wrong?

Did I fuck something up? Is there some procedure with older seeds that I should've followed? Has it taken this long for any of you other DCon gurus?
Any advice would be appreciated.
:badday:

PondeLftHndSide

Veteran
Of my last 4 DCon f1 seeds, one of them took over a week to germ. The others were topside within a few days. I direct-seeded them into cups of Canna coco and watered with distilled water pH'd to 6.0. I thought I had a dud, but the last one finally poked through. So there's still a chance.

Did you try scarifying the seeds first? You can put a piece of sandpaper in a matchbox, drop in some seeds and shake them around for a few minutes to scuff the shell. I've been able to sprout non-germing seeds this way a few times by fishing them out of the medium, letting them dry, scarifying and trying again. But only a few times... doesn't work every time. Sometimes they're just non-viable.

Good luck... hope they sprout for you. Got some nice stuff there if they don't. I'd recommend sexing the O'Haze x Skunk and running it from clone, if you can. It's gonna streeeeeetch, and from seed is going to go 3-6 weeks longer than anything else you're currently running. Just keep the mommas under 24 hours light, take clones and flower the clones. A sexually mature clone will finish faster and will allow you to better keep the size under control. Hope that one works out for you, should be some stellar smoke.

Alright, so I dug 'em up because nothing was happening. Four were cracked slightly and four were still intact. I scarified the intact ones and the two seeds I had yet to germinate, then placed them all in a damp paper towel in a ziplock and put em over my cfl fixture where its just a few degrees warmer than room temperature. I checked today and one had poked a tail out, eight of them were mush, and one had yet to crack. I hope it does, and that I get a boy and a girl, because I was really looking forward to growing this plant.
But, perhaps that one seed that has yet to crack can hear me... Please, little seed, wake up! C'mon! You can do it!

But if I only get 1 plant from the pack I'm going to seed it / use its pollen to continue the line and search for Deep Congo Phenos. I was thinking of using some of my PPP freebies - they are incredibly vigorous and I'm pretty sure they have South African landrace in them so it could be a good match.

Blah.
TMM

Momerath

Yes I had germination problems with these this last year. Of 2 packs, we got 4 to germinate and 3 survived to adulthood, 1 being a male that was culled (looking back I should have saved pollen from him). Its amazing herb, both to grow and smoke. Beautiful and stinky and very unique. I pollinated both females with AK and DSD pollen so Ive got some DC hybrids to play with until more pure DC seeds go on sale. This is a real gem of a strain!

Yes I had germination problems with these this last year. Of 2 packs, we got 4 to germinate and 3 survived to adulthood, 1 being a male that was culled (looking back I should have saved pollen from him). Its amazing herb, both to grow and smoke. Beautiful and stinky and very unique. I pollinated both females with AK and DSD pollen so Ive got some DC hybrids to play with until more pure DC seeds go on sale. This is a real gem of a strain!

I wonder what Mr. William's policy on non-viable seeds is? Its a shame he's so rarely around.

Latest posts

Latest posts