What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clean, Easy Cool Tube Tutorial

aceofspades

Since I have seen that people are using them for 400w plus I think I may just go ahead and buy one of these.

Pretty excited, great tuturial.

Ace

N

noone4u

my tubes are here but im afraid they wont work :(

they are only 3" O.D. and 2.75" I.D.

Are these to small or will they work??

snuggy1955

hey lemon love your tut... but can anyone help on th insulation foam for the gausket... if i go to hardware store... what do i tell them im looking for?

N

noone4u

hey lemon love your tut... but can anyone help on th insulation foam for the gausket... if i go to hardware store... what do i tell them im looking for?

I saw some stuff yesterday that looked to be perfect!

Try AC gasket or AC weather stripping

I just ordered 4" hurricane so I dont think i will need anything to fill up mine im just going to tape it on with foil tape as im sure it will be a tight fit

real ting

Would it be possible to clamp two of the glass bake arounds together end to end using just the self adhesive insulating foam in the tutorial and more clamps?

bootea

Does anyone know how you would connect a digital ballast to a bake-a-round cool tube. I mean where you would get the proper cord minus the light fixture? I guess everyone is assuming a magnetic ballast, but the digital ballast ouput plugs look a little different.

BTW real ting I just saw at least six Pyrex bake-a-rounds on Ebay one $4.95,one for $7.50 and 9.99 with shipping they all hit come in around $15 to $20. This was yesterday. They have been pretty consistent over the last few weeks. I just bought one for $17.04 including shipping.

big twinn

Veteran
i have everything to make this cooltube but i cant find those Cafe Rod Brackets ANYWHERE...i've tried Lowes and Big Lots...any suggestions...i dont wanna order online. anything i can substiture it with in order to hold my lumetek 250 in the middle of the tube?
thanks!

SmokinErb

I had a real hard time finding cafe rod brackets too, when I finally did, I had a real hard time bending them into shape.

I ended up getting some pipe strapping, hanger strap, whatever you want to call it and bent that into shape.

mrcreosote

Veteran
Yup,
Plumbers tape with the holes in it is part of every redneck engineers toolkit along with aluminum duct tape. They could have rebuilt Apollo 13 in space with this stuff.

I built my cooltubes with 4" aluminum tube cut to 3" lengths from a 1' piece by this fine vendor who cut them free.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-Alu-Tube-Tubing-Pipe-12-Long-083-/320721943301?_trksid=p3286.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1365773855308876974

I tapped 3-10/28 holes in each end for setscrews and cut a 3/8" strip of galvanized step flashing to center under the adhesive foam strip so the screws rest on metal when snug.
I removed the sticky outside of the tape with iso alcohol and used veg oil to slip the alum. ends on.
I cut a length of 3/4" wide flashing to mount and center the light socket in the tube and drilled, screw and nutted it to the aluminum collars with the top screws as eye-screws to hang. I ordered the cord glands and 5k SOG cord from my local hardware store because it was cheaper then getting them mailed.
The reflector is some leftover white coated aluminum bending stock I had that siding guys use to cap window trim, scientifically rolled to the proper reflective radius with a rolling pin on the carpet. :)

Changing the lights is as simple as backing off the set-screws and sliding off the collar.

About $60 and an hours work for two 4" cool tube reflectors.*

*Stoned staring time not included.

D

driftersmokinjo

I just nabbed 4 bake a rounds for under 13 bux each. I have a vert set up in mind. Will use this plan for a base and do some mod's to suit my needs :good: