What's new

Chicago customs

Three Berries

I was reading the Feds no longer consider cannabis seeds as contraband.

cough_cough_eer

Anita Bonghitt
Veteran
UPDATE: I never got the seeds, iTarzan. then. Much later I ordered from a place in Spain, I got those seeds, but most didn't sprout. I'm glad of seed banks in the USA now. Thanks for noticing me posting iTarsan.

RobFromTX

I was reading the Feds no longer consider cannabis seeds as contraband.

About freakin time

iTarzan

I appreciate the update cough. You never even got the green tape empty package. Somebody probably stole those seeds.

moose eater

So? I have several wonky deliveries through eBay. Let's ask our viewers- Anybody else noticed a change in the US mail service since Trump's guy took over in 2020?
I know your reply is older, but I've had several USPS Priority packages, flat-rate and otherwise, over the last year and a half, take up to 30 days, and get lost in the process, only to resurface, sometimes on the other side of the Country. Happy? Nope.

One was $200 cash sent from Alaska to Southern California to help with a friend's rent, and it ended up found with a hole punched through it in an otherwise empty mail bag in FLORIDA!!! Ultimately delivered, after he'd incurred penalties for late rent. Thanks USPS.

Another was a rather risky flat-rate (VHS-size) USPS Prority Mail package from Arizona that took over 30 days, and was sitting in a mail bin in a semi trailer, in a HUGE USPS truck lot in Oklahoma, where someone had thought the trailer was empty; and parked it among the maze of empty trailers. It wasn't empty. In that case, a WHOLE LOT of people were missing freight. Mostly on THAT truck trailer.

There are more, including a seeds shipment, nearly reaching my P.O. Box in our small town, and instead being forwarded at nearly the last moment to a downtown major Post Office for no apparent reason.

The USPS ought to provide valium free of charge these days. My opinion.

Last edited:

moose eater

About this postmaster. I send my rent 22 miles. My landlord complains that it takes 5 or 6 days to get there.

Trump picked a winner. How much a month does DeJoy pay for his job?
I used to get stellar service from USPS, and with the added protection of them being a Government contractor, so the 4th Amendment held at least some water, not withstanding a brief period post-9/11 when GW claimed they could search what ever packages they liked.

Lately, no BS, more than half of my packages either aren't scanned properly en route, and/or take longer than the anticipated time for delivery. ALL of them priority mail.

They are using the 'new and improved' sorting machines, but I'm waiting for the 'improved' part to kick in.

moose eater

Not with this guy. How much do you think he is making on each "new" machine?
No idea. I speak regularly with our local postmaster, as we have a very small post office. That's how I've been able to obtain specific details re. missing or slow-to-arrive/temporarily lost packages.

The new machines supposedly rely on scanning the new symbols (can't think of the word for them; the squares with the 'designs in them that smart phones read).

My perception was that some of the new post master general's effort (the guy put in place under Trump) looked, at least from a distance, like he was trying to decrease efficiency as (perhaps) part of the push toward privatization, and especially affecting the efficiency of mail-in ballots. But that's based mostly on appearances and interpretation on my and others' parts. Skepticism noted.

Last edited:

Airloom

Veteran
My perception was that some of the new post master general's effort (the guy put in place under Trump) looked, at least from a distance, like he was trying to decrease efficiency as (perhaps) part of the push toward privatization
I agree with your analysis and if you look at Mr Dejoy’s (?) previous gig, it’s hard not to think that. I’m amazed MORE shit doesn’t end up forgotten in some “empty” equipment some where just based on volumes moved. Your insights are legit and your PM seems like a decent guy. It’s always good to have someone in the PÓ that knows wtf is really going on. It’s like the military a bit STILL, there’s the way things are on paper, then the way things really ARE….

Every season I get a frantic call from a friend (more likely a relative) desperate for solid leads on their goods. I’ve refined my response to:

double check the shipper and especially the type service (how much the merchant spent on postage etc)

Always ask before purchase if you can pay extra for shipping, insurance, or tracking; it’s worth every penny during the Holiday season. I would rather pay more somewhere else than have to worry about it.

My brother always said buy the best you can afford and buy it once…..📫

Airloom

Veteran
No it is my understanding that it is a commission which is why Biden can't fire DeJoy.
From Wiki*

On May 6, 2020, the USPS board of governors, all selected by Trump and confirmed by the Senate, announced DeJoy's appointment as Postmaster General and CEO, despite concerns about conflict of interest.
DeJoy did not go through the normal vetting process for Postmaster General; two separate search firms were used by the USPS board, and neither firm mentioned DeJoy in their list of candidates.

There’s much more on *Wiki but you’re correct it’s an appointment type position.

* grain of salt perhaps

Three Berries

I happen to have a rather high opinion of the USPS. Except for Chicago. Anytime my mail goes though there it takes an extra two days.

Airloom

Veteran
I happen to have a rather high opinion of the USPS. Except for Chicago. Anytime my mail goes though there it takes an extra two days.
I always use USPS (priority mail or first class when purchasing items online) I’ve only had one item go missing in my lifetime (eBay seller shipped media rate only, refused my offer to pay for priority mail)

My experience has been the USPS delivers far more consistent and reliable service period.

FedEx is pretty decent IMHO

BTW none of my beans has ever disappeared or got “lost” 📦✉️📫