What's new

Ceramic Metal Halide (CMH)

przcvctm

I'm at the end of a case of 400w RetroWhite lamps. I think I have one more grow with the last lamp. Just curious if anyone else is still using them with a HPS ballast?

mexicani-ar

CMH

CMH

I remember seeing someone post asking about the GC master pursuit 500w cmh. Here's a picture of my current grow.

Attachments

• 20210116_165144.jpg
    20210116_165144.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 196

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wheres a guy get the 400w cmh that run off 400hps..? I hadda few phillips but they dont make em anymore right? :smoweed:

guanito2

one 315 in a 3x4ft space??? - i have '2' 315's in a 4x3.5ft space n feel its not enough light...

How's your temps? How do you vent the box?
I would add another one but it seems to be doing alright.
I'd have to do a total re-design.
I grew under a 250 for 16 years so I'm excited.
cheers

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
How's your temps? How do you vent the box?
I would add another one but it seems to be doing alright.
I'd have to do a total re-design.
I grew under a 250 for 16 years so I'm excited.
cheers

temps during the day between 72/82- as to venting, i have both ends of the tent open - one side is inches from a window which has a fan in it- i have it set at 60F, so it goes on numerous times a day bringin in fresh air - on the other end, i have a oscilating fan blowing under the lights/on top of the plants to disappate any heat.... at nite the temp goes down to low 60's, on a real cold nite 59/58 -

i just think the penetration sucks with these 315's- even with these phillip bulbs - b4 the start of my last grow, i put a 1000w mh/hps in the tent - it was 20F outside, but on the floor of the tent it was 92- so i shit-canned that idea -

how high do u keep the lites over the plants??- last gow i had to pin the 315's to the top of the tent- next grow i'm going to trim the shit out of the plants in veg...

guanito2

I had them pretty close - within about 6". You can see from the pictures. I just spaced them out some more.
I have these platforms to raise up the plants that work pretty good.
I want to see how big I can grow a plant in there. Right now using 2 gal bags.

HorseBadoritiz

i just think the penetration sucks with these 315's- even with these phillip bulbs - b4 the start of my last grow, i put a 1000w mh/hps in the tent - it was 20F outside, but on the floor of the tent it was 92- so i shit-canned that idea -

I've been using CMH for about 10 years. From the MH ballasted 350W, 400W Retros, and 315's. Mostly Philips. IMO, CMH is a different beast. It's the quality of the light, not necessarily the penetration.

Don't take this wrong way, since you're a fellow pepperhead, lol, but you've been denigrating your CMH (s) for quite a while, IIRC. I can't believe you still use them. One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. Just sayin', lol!

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
I've been using CMH for about 10 years. From the MH ballasted 350W, 400W Retros, and 315's. Mostly Philips. IMO, CMH is a different beast. It's the quality of the light, not necessarily the penetration.

Don't take this wrong way, since you're a fellow pepperhead, lol, but you've been denigrating your CMH (s) for quite a while, IIRC. I can't believe you still use them. One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. Just sayin', lol!

yesss insanity runs in the family...lol.... indeed i have been bad-mouthin' the cmh's for a while- the reason i'm still using em, is i bought '4' phillip bulbs, and still on my 1st 2... and another reason for not going led...yet.... is that i grow diff plants in my little tent, and i can never get them all to grow at one height, so having 2 lights allows me to alter the heights....

this go around, i'm pruning the hell out of the bottoms, trying to avoid as much popcorn as possible, and also the tops, trying to get as many bud sites as possible.... of course this all goes to shit when i go 12/12 , but we will see this go-around...

as to being a pepperhead, i def am ... yesterday i again went thru my reapers pinching off all the flowers ... and started a bunch of seeds - yellow hots, 7 pot, serrano's.cayenne's, shishito's and 2or 3 others... peace

HorseBadoritiz

i bought '4' phillip bulbs, and still on my 1st 2...

Just like any other HID, they do degrade over time. I can't remember everything, but I think they're something like 85% of new after 8,000hrs. The way I'm set up, I just swap mine every year. New ones into bloom areas, old ones for vegging. I have added a 240QB alongside the 315 in some areas, and rotate the plants each day. The QB has even less penetration, but the plants seem to like it.

this go around, i'm pruning the hell out of the bottoms, trying to avoid as much popcorn as possible, and also the tops, trying to get as many bud sites as possible.... of course this all goes to shit when i go 12/12 , but we will see this go-around...

I think that's the ticket, at least for me.
SSDD 70 DFF Chop (2).jpeg

as to being a pepperhead, i def am ... yesterday i again went thru my reapers pinching off all the flowers ... and started a bunch of seeds - yellow hots, 7 pot, serrano's.cayenne's, shishito's and 2or 3 others... peace

We're buying pepper plants this year, lol!

Plookerkingjon

00Q0Q_ePGrNzBRvY6z_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
00J0J_hUkcrea4Mqhz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
3x3 or a 4x4 area with as many Acapulco Gold plants as I can fit into the area for these lights my question would be to anyone with experience with these how I diffuse or disperse the Heat? I was thinking of maybe using a box fan vertically up in through the canopy blowing on the light itself and then maybe using a 4-in inline fan with some ducting pulling it out of the very top of the grow area. I have no experience with these lights I have no idea how hot they get but I have had experience with Magnetic blasts and 600 watt cool two bulbs and those f****** in this light are real close together so I know that's going to need some sort of passive Cooling

[Maschinenhaus]

Ich habe keine Erfahrung Erfahrung mit Lichtern, ich, ich habene, keine aber, aber ich habe Erfahrung mit Magnet-Blasten und 600 Watt kühlen zweier Glühen Siebirnen und f*** diesefreier dieses**** in ist Licht wirklich bei- weiß, wir, dies eine Kunst passiv Kühlung

Normally CMH with these reflectors is used in the halls or large rooms with appropriate climate control.

I myself use a maximum of 2x 315W CMH lamps with one reflector each on 1.44 square meters, CMH is cooler than MH/NDL, but in the league 630W then only in smaller rooms or tents, but enough to need strong air circulation.

What kind of room do you have?

[Maschinenhaus]

Id be willing to dedicate a 4 x 4 x 7 area to it. My ceilings may require lst netting for canopy management

So like me because my tent has 220cm height. I deliberately avoid these reflectors! Because I once had such because I wanted a profile lamp like Gavita, but have not thought that Gavita CMH are intended for greenhouses, where many of these lamps are suspended at the top.

Indirect illumination is the keyword. The photoreceptors (phytochromes) register that, one must, better should not work directly above the heads of the plants with so much power, with LED is different again and even more important to pay attention. Therefore, I take only the 315W version of CMH with Adjust A Wing reflector, spreader would also be useful to get a little better light distribution. More smaller light sources would be better, too bad there is no 100W CMH.

Phytochromes are bilin-binding photosensory receptors which control development over a broad range of environmental conditions and throughout the whole plant life cycle. Light-induced conformational changes enable phytochromes to interact with signaling partners, in particular transcription factors or proteins that regulate them, resulting in large-scale transcriptional reprograming.

Phytochromes also regulate promoter usage, mRNA splicing and translation through less defined routes. In this review we summarize our current understanding of plant phytochrome signaling, emphasizing recent work performed in Arabidopsis. We compare and contrast phytochrome responses and signaling mechanisms among land plants and highlight open questions in phytochrome research.

With such small areas and this height, I also tend to LED in the meantime, also because you can reproduce the spectrum of CMH meanwhile easier.

But it remains to be seen for ambitious growers and lovers of quality what these new LEDs will deliver. Seoul Semiconductor has something in the lab that could be a killer SMD and set new standards in the cultivation of cannabis?

Brother Nature

I've been wondering if anyone is doing CMH and LED hybrid grows? I've been running LED for a while now and when I was running COB's I was doing pretty well, but I've moved to the flat panel lighting and there's just something missing. The buds are good, the yields are good, and the smell is good, but it's not great and who doesn't want great? I've not run CMH before but have done a hybrid HPS/LED run out of necessity and lack of supplies over covid which turned out very well. The 250 HPS seemed to fill out the aspects the leds missed, like smell and added temps in winter. I'd imagine a CMH would do this even better, but haven't seen any grows with this yet. I don't want to give up on LEDs, I think there is a lot of potential, but the grass is always greener, or stickier, on the other side right?

Latest posts

Latest posts