What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Build Your Own Cycle Timer

Me2

Hi Fifth
I didn`t realise how hard it is to find veroboard/basic stripboard in the US.
I`d steer well clear of Radioshack, they seem to be in the daylight robbery business judging by the prices in your links ;)
I`m located in blighty but i`ve managed to locate an online store in New York that stocks pretty much everything you need, if thats any good.

http://www.futurlec.com/ProtoBoards.shtml
The Part Code for the veroboard/stripboard is STPBRD2 (price $0.95)

If you look through the components section you`ll find the other components, including the 100uF 16v radial electrolytic capacitors (C2 & C3). The 100nF capacitor (C1) is listed as a 0.10uF 50V Multilayer Ceramic Capacitor (C100UMC)
The resistors and diodes come in packs of 10. The relays are on the steep side though (GR12V10ABL 10A DPDT at $4.95) so you might want to shop around for a better price.

All told it comes to around $2.55 excluding the relay :D

G

grow nerd

I`d steer well clear of Radioshack, they seem to be in the daylight robbery business judging by the prices in your links ;)
LOL, excellent assessment on Rat Shack. :D :yes: (It's true.)

Try local electronics supply shops, or online at places like Mouser and Digi-Key.

F

flat5th

Sweet! Thanks for that site.

I was looking at Mouser, but it was difficult for me to find exactly what i needed...they offer too many options. haha.

Anyways, I ordered the parts to build 5 timers (excluding the powersupply) And the total came to $40 including shipping.

I was wondering...this will run my 70w 800gph magdrive pump right? haha.
Would it run 2 pumps? the other being a 25w 450gph?
If i only need to build and use 1 for myself, that would be cool.

Thanks a million and i'll post my results once i get these going.

Fifth.

Budweiser13

So is this the same thing as whats inside the CAP cycle timers. Has anyone ever opened a CAP cycle timer to see what parts they use....

Me2

I was wondering...this will run my 70w 800gph magdrive pump right? haha.
Would it run 2 pumps? the other being a 25w 450gph?

The load switching capacity is dictated by the relay contact rating, the timer just switches the relay coil on and off.
Assuming the pumps are 120v, its less than 1 amp. A 10A dpdt relay even heavily derated (70%) for the inductive loading could handle at least 3x as many pumps as you plan to use ;)

F

flat5th

The load switching capacity is dictated by the relay contact rating, the timer just switches the relay coil on and off.
Assuming the pumps are 120v, its less than 1 amp. A 10A dpdt relay even heavily derated (70%) for the inductive loading could handle at least 3x as many pumps as you plan to use ;)

thanks Me2. That's what i assumed, but wasn't sure.

Fifth.

S

sparkjumper

Maybe I missed it but what are you building the cycletimers or cyclestat to control?I hope its not co2 lol

F

flat5th

Maybe I missed it but what are you building the cycletimers or cyclestat to control?I hope its not co2 lol

No it's not for CO2. It's a cycle timer for low pressure aeroponics water pumps.

It's the same idea as the CAP NFT-1e. Fixed at 1 min ON / 4 min OFF. But about $60 cheaper.

Me2

It seems all the cap timers need mains voltage to function.
This timer could be useful for off-grid or as a backup for mains failure. You would need a 12v pump and a 12v leisure battery though ;)

kosmonaut89

So how do I change this timer to 5sec on/5 min off or just about? I suppose changing the resistor and capacitors? But to what? Can someone show me the calculation or just tell me ^^

Thanks