What's new

Bonsai Bagseed!

DonChron

u must have some aquafina vitality tap water, those plants are lookin heallllthhhhy!!! glad to see you're testing it

Boz, thanks for those links. The 30 actually looks attractive. The price is right too... It's always a pleasure to have you on board.

Don, lol. I actually think it's the soil I used. It's a custom mix of pure, organic compost, potting soil, vermeculite all cut 40% with perlite. Almost too good of drainage, but hey, I'm not complaining... I had to repot these plants once before... what I did was remove about HALF of the root ball and put the remainder on fresh compost. Overnight the roots grew to the bottom of the 2Lt's and they were so THICK. I have good feelings for this go round :rasta:

Thanks for your support everyone, it sure would be a lot harder to do this without you all. +Karma to you all, may the fertile spring rains bring you fertile spring gardens and may your vegetables break your baskets! :friends: :respect: :kitty:

funkervogt said:
Wow, pro style. This is how I wish my plants would have looked :D

Hey, thanks for dropping by Funk! Well, I don't know if I'd consider what i have here pro, but I appreciate the compliment. Your plants look fine, the only difference between them that I can distinguish is mine were bonsai style for the first two months of their lives. I plan on flowering them to see what I get then selecting the two strongest (one male, one female) and doing a pollen chuck and take clones for spring/summer outdoors.

Gaia knows what I want isn't always what I get. Life goes on... and while it does, so does MY NEW FAN! I made this by mounting a microwave fan to a 1x1 and then screwing that to the sides of a coffee can and then mounting that to the bottom outside edge of the cab. It really moves the air! :jump:

Here's a picture of my babies when they first wake up, before the lamp fires all the way to it's full potential.

NiceShoes said:
Some beautiful plants Brother!

Very nice!

NiceShoes

Thank you Shoes, they weren't always like that. I killed 4 and gave away my runt leaving me with 6. Perfect for under my lamp. I may do another indoor after this with much larger plants. We'll see.

spookygrenjeans said:
good stuff... i think i found a dank dank dank in bagseed once. it was the 2nd bean of 6 i believe.

This is what I'm hoping for! I hope, hope, hope I find the dank in there. Two of these plants are looking STRONG! One male and one female would be perfect. Wouldn't it be awesome if I found two elites?? Anyways...

Thankyou everyone for stopping by!! +Rep for you!!! :rasta:

I think I've found two males in my group. Neither of them look as strong as the females, so I don't think I'll be collecting any pollen... Oh well, at least I can free up some space beneath my lamp now.

Today brought some bad new. Out of 6 plants, 4 were male. The only reason this is bad is because I did want to keep a male... but only a strong one. Of these 4, none met my criteria. I will keep them around though. I removed them from the fruiting chamber and have them in a window until I can build a cab for the strongest of them. Some of you may have seen the picture of the speaker box I'll be using. I've decided that I'll have to use two boxes, one for a female mother and one for a father.

I've added some cO2 today in fermentation and reaction form. I'm giving random doses of cO2 via vinegar and baking soda reaction. In addition to this I installed 3 fermentation vats inside the cab. For this I used 3 2L. bottles.

I also fed today with 1.5Tbs molasses, 6Ml Micro and 15Ml Bloom to 3Lt of snow water. Just a side note, I've also set up a nute bubbler so I can better mix my feed. It's just a air pump in the 3Lt bottle. The plants seemed to have loved the extra oxygen in the feed. Next time I'll use a 5-10% hydrogen peroxide to feed water mix and see if I'll keep doing it.

The 2 ladies are looking good. Since I've started using the molasses I've notice the flowering process seems to have sped up very marginally. Think I'll keep using this. Other people on the forum claim to be using molasses every time they feed. Has anyone used molasses, and if you have, how much and how often? What was your overall experience with it?

(EDIT: I'm obsessive about my punctuation! :bashhead: )

Last edited:
First off I want to say thank you to JustAnotherBozo... you know why.

Picture time... :joint:

Here we can see both of the females sitting side by side, both enjoying a small cup o' love! What a beautiful day to be alive, don't you think? :joint:

You may have to look rather close as the flower isn't as it isn't in focus like it could've been. Rest assured, it's there alright!... :joint:

And the other baby. There's a flower there, can you spot it? :joint:

(EDIT: I'm a whore for posting... I don't know why, but I like it. Maybe it gives me something to do everyday. Perhaps by the way I write you can tell that my life is less fulfilling than the way I had imagined it as a kid... haha :rasta:

Last edited:

Reefdoggie

Spaceghost, I started using Grandma's Blackstrap about 3 wks ago (when my girls were 2 weeks into flower). I have noticed that the buds below the LST'd tops have really started to shoot upwards faster and are filling out faster than they were when I started.

For comparison, I have 1 female from this same batch that I purposely kept away from the Mo', and it has not reacted the same way as the others. In fact, I noticed the Mo' girls have more trichs forming on their buds than the excluded plant. This makes me hope that they will produce a better yield (maybe not much bigger, but better).

I mix 1 tbs per gal of day-old tap water for every other watering; feeding just enuff to get a wee bit of runoff. The plants get about 1/3 gal each (in 3.5 gal kitty litter pails) which keeps em happy for about 4 days (last week it took 5 days, but root system still expanding and they get thirsty more often). The soil is 30% perlite with Fafard potting mix (nothing special) amended with lime, bone & blood meal producing an airy/spongy medium with decent water penetration. These plants are under 252 watts of CFL's (4100 lumens per sq ft) and are rotated at every watering to get light to all sides.

I'm definitely onboard with a molasses additive. It's cheap, easy, and versatile; will incorporate it in a tea for next grow.

Last edited:
justanotherbozo said:
:headbange thanks man, and bozo's good enough, lol, i'm just another clown anyway,
nothin' special. lol, if i don't keep tellin' myself that, my ego starts to inflate,
hence the name.

anyway, nice job man, and yeah, i can see the hairs stickin' out on the left in
the second pic and on the right in the third! just make sure you have at least
one rooted clone man! i'd hate to see you find a really good plant and have it
be gone forever once you harvest, lol, and you'd hate it even more.

keep up the good work man, and stay safe!

Hey bozo, you see them, eh? Yeah, that's what I'm talking about, BUDS man, BUDS!! :jump: So anywho, you said I should take at least a clone... yeah, I agree. Know that before I started I did a bit of lurking and asked a few questions here and there. One technique I was quite interested in was 're-veg'. I was thinking maybe I'd flower them out to see who the winner was and be careful in the harvest to ensure it stays alive. It was then that I was going to try to harvest some clones (NOTE: In an earlier post I had said I was going to take clones, well, I didn't... because I was high ;P). Or perhaps I should take some now despite the prolonged rooting time?

When I harvest, does the "not more than 50% of leaves" rule still apply? I've seen quite a few posts with pictures of a before pic with a HUGE BUDDLY plant and then the after pic shows they took it right down to maybe 4 SMALL nodes still on the lowest limbs of the plant. I'm not sure whether the plants lived or died on most, but I can confirm one success using this technique. Another thing I'm not so sure about is whether I should prune the roots first. My containers are becoming too small for them. They are VERY close to being root bound. I wasn't watching this as closely as perhaps I should have. I still have more than a mo. and a half before harvest so I'm not too worried just yet.

Reefdoggie said:
Spaceghost, I started using Grandma's Blackstrap about 3 wks ago (when my girls were 2 weeks into flower). I have noticed that the buds below the LST'd tops have really started to shoot upwards faster and are filling out faster than they were when I started.

For comparison, I have 1 female from this same batch that I purposely kept away from the Mo', and it has not reacted the same way as the others. In fact, I noticed the Mo' girls have more trichs forming on their buds than the excluded plant. This makes me hope that they will produce a better yield (maybe not much bigger, but better).

I mix 1 tbs per gal of day-old tap water for every other watering; feeding just enuff to get a wee bit of runoff. The plants get about 1/3 gal each (in 3.5 gal kitty litter pails) which keeps em happy for about 4 days (last week it took 5 days, but root system still expanding and they get thirsty more often). The soil is 30% perlite with Fafard potting mix (nothing special) amended with lime, bone & blood meal producing an airy/spongy medium with decent water penetration. These plants are under 252 watts of CFL's (4100 lumens per sq ft) and are rotated at every watering to get light to all sides.

I'm definitely onboard with a molasses additive. It's cheap, easy, and versatile; will incorporate it in a tea for next grow.

Yes, you're doing the black-strap boogie too?? Sweet! I've been posting 'Pro-Black Strap' here and there where someone will ask something along the lines of, "...what bloom booster to use?...". I find that I'm ALWAYS recommending the black-strap. Maybe it's even too early for me to be doing this, but I've seen obvious results.

If I might ask, how do you like the CFLs? I had a lackluster experience, but I was using mostly the wrong spectrum for veg. I had a 4 socket vanity bar that I had mounted with 4 double socket "V" extensions. Out of the 8 available sockets I had only one blue spectrum bulb. For comparison I had one plant in my bunch which wouldn't seem to pull out of a funk,... so I gave it to a friend. He used only one blue bulb, but, he had a VERY deep conical reflector around the bulb AND the plant and now it's looking MORE vibrant that when I had it, and more so than my plants are now (albeit mine are much bigger now). I think when I do a veg. cycle next I'll be using ONLY blue like him. I've seen the results and I know it works. I'll use more than one of course... :rasta:

Thanks for stopping in people, I appreciate it :wave: :rasta: :smoke: :jump: :canabis: :biglaugh: :bigeye: :cool: :smile: :wink: :bis: :woohoo: :friends: :smoweed:

Yes, that is almost identical to what I have as far as a light bar. The only difference is on mine the wires are on the reverse side. Did you construct this yourself? If so, good job. I love wiring electronics...

Oh sorry, I was in a sort of haze when I was writing about the molasses. I was just saying that perhaps it's too early in my growing hobby to recommend much of anything. I know this isn't the case, but I haven't seen the end results of my molasses application to really direct people.

Oh man, I'm really getting to love this hobby! It is by far surpassing my love of smoking. I can see this changing me in a very profound way, as it already has. It may be that I'll change my currant career goals to something a little more humble... I would love to purchase a 40 acre spread with a stream and live a slow life of art, peace and tranquility, not of exhaust, yelling and high tension... much unlike the life I find myself surrounded.

(Intermission: ... the sounds of water bubbling... I should go bump the "bump this if your high" thread again... :rasta: )

Back to reality... :badday:

I broke one of the smaller branches. I don't think it was of any consequence though, as I mended it easily with duct tape. Heh, what a day. Anyway, I know what clone I'll take soon as I get my clone space straightened out!

So where was I?...

Anyways...

I noticed something amiss with the nute bubbler (See one of yesterdays posts). Tons of foam had collected on the surface very much like one of Dr. BudGreenJeans organic teas. This isn't bad,... what was bad were the particles floating around in the mix. In reaching for it it spilled all over the floor right next to my power strip. No kidding, it was only an hour before that I decided to raise it off the floor using one of my milk crates (those things are so handy). So yeah, I almost injured myself today...

1 uncalled for slaying of a lady bug. :badday:
1 broken branch. :badday:
1 VERY close call. :badday:

The final result...

As things are progressing, it appears that I'm having a bit of a humidity problem. Humidity is fluctuating between 25-30% It's up from what it was but still below my standard. Anyone know of any slick little ways to supercharge the air with humidity?? I need something along those lines. Winter here is DRYYYYYYYYY.....Y!!!!

I'm going to bed before something else happens today, see you all next time! :muahaha:

Yesterday I dropped the humidifier reservoir and it broke. So now I'm wondering... if the ambient humidity is 20%, could I get away with misting the buds direct? What do you think?

thankx ahead of time :rasta:

funkervogt said:
Have you found the humidifier helps alot? I don't use one at all (or mist).

Well, it's a small one so it doesn't help a whole lot, but it does help. It raised the humidity into the 30-35% range whereas it's only at 20% right now. I know that plant growth is best at 40% during flowering.

Last edited:
justanotherbozo said:
hey bro, sorry i didn't get back to ya about that light, i actually found
those (i bought 4 of 'em, lol) at a local discount builders supply house,
kinda like a discount Home Depot. anyway, they cost me $4.88 USD per
and the splitters were $1.50 each.

also, you can definately mist the plants directly, many people foliar feed
their plants all the time. just be careful and raise your lights for about an
hour afterwards or you run the risk of burning your leaves, liquid drops can
act like a magnifying lens that focus' the light.

lol, another thing you can do to raise the humidity is to just put an open
pan of water in the grow space, simple evaporation will put that moisture
in the air, especially if your space gets as hot as mine, lol, shit man, i've
put open pans of ice in.

anyway, keep it up man, it looks like you're havin' a great time and that's
what it's all about, ain't it? it sure the hell is for me, lol.

peace bro, and stay safe!

What up bozo man, so misting won't hurt? Good, because I went on ahead and did it anyway. I found that all I'm wetting the plants with is gone in under 10 minutes. I don't know of any mold which can gain a foothold in that short of a window.

I'm finding that I'm kind of a lazy grower. You had said that I should raise the lights, but I didn't. Everything luckily turned out fine, but that's what I mean by lazy... Hmm!

I've been reading about other peoples low humidity flowering experiences and so far none have complained a whole lot. I guess the plant does OK between 25%-75%. The only problem right now aside from humidity and watering is growth! Two or three branches were racing ahead where the others were behind. So I supercroped them. I may have gone overboard on a couple stems. They split from the pressure, but the leaves and buds are reorienting toward the light... I don't know if they'll be ok, but whatever... the rest will grow.

And yes, I am having fun!

(EDIT: I just picked up a vick steam humidifier :jump: )

Last edited: