What's new

bobblehead overtakes

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking good bro...spent about 2 hours on the phone with Ichabob ( short phone call).....,going to mimic what he and Arminus are doing with doughnuts and trees after this last stadium run.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
Glad to see your happy with life!
:woohoo:

IME Root aphids need to be treated with multiple methods to really knock em back. Get some predatory nematodes and sticky yellow fly cards to use in conjunction with the benes.

The fungus eats the hard shelled crawlers, the nematodes go after the larval stage, and the sticky cards get the flyers.

I cut my sticky yellows in half and make a complete circle around top of my ppk buckets. I will always have yellow sticky cards from here on out, flyers or no flyers...

The flyers are "born" pregnant, so everyone of them that you catch significantly reduces the future population.

I got some plans for Xpattern grows also. I wasn't around when they were popular, in fact I have only seen one here. DHF mentioned them in my thread a while back. What I like about it, besides low numbers and trees, is how manageable of a workload it seems to be. I go into my room and working on 10 trees can take a few days. Easily 20 hours cleaning out my plants this round, and it needs to be done again. Luckily I have a few extra hands...
Keep on Trucking

bobblehead

Veteran
Scared to pop in this thread in cse them aphids spread to me lol kidding dam man get them buggers under control

Yeah for real... I thought they were gone. I know what I did wrong, and I'm about to correct it. They'll be gone this time for sure. I'm cleaning house.

Looking good bro...spent about 2 hours on the phone with Ichabob ( short phone call).....,going to mimic what he and Arminus are doing with doughnuts and trees after this last stadium run.

lmao... omg on a 3 way call I would never get a word in. Happy to hear you're making the switch! I think it will be easier for grow-bro to stay on top of things with fewer plants. Good luck!

Good luck Bro........

Peace.....Freds.....:ying:.....

Thanks. I'm gonna need it.

Glad to see your happy with life!
:woohoo:

IME Root aphids need to be treated with multiple methods to really knock em back. Get some predatory nematodes and sticky yellow fly cards to use in conjunction with the benes.

The fungus eats the hard shelled crawlers, the nematodes go after the larval stage, and the sticky cards get the flyers.

I cut my sticky yellows in half and make a complete circle around top of my ppk buckets. I will always have yellow sticky cards from here on out, flyers or no flyers...

The flyers are "born" pregnant, so everyone of them that you catch significantly reduces the future population.

I got some plans for Xpattern grows also. I wasn't around when they were popular, in fact I have only seen one here. DHF mentioned them in my thread a while back. What I like about it, besides low numbers and trees, is how manageable of a workload it seems to be. I go into my room and working on 10 trees can take a few days. Easily 20 hours cleaning out my plants this round, and it needs to be done again. Luckily I have a few extra hands...
Keep on Trucking

Thanks for the tips! I was looking at your pics and I was gonna ask if you had managed to beat the aphids... I like how you have the sticky traps cut up and on the tops of the pots. It'll work both ways, bugs going in and out. Love it.

Diatomaceous earth is supposed to shred crawling insects... Idk about the crawlers, but I don't see any flyers making it out of the DE. I'm gonna put a layer of DE on all my existing coco pots. Actually I'm thinking about using sand as well. I'm throwing it all out at the end of the grow anyway.

It's going to be a few months still before I can rid myself of the aphids completely... but since I have a bunch of small flip rooms, I think it's possible without a complete shut-down. I guess I'm about to find out. I'll be starting with cleaning the garage... Then when I get the rest of my coco potted plants out of the veg room, that room will get cleaned... and then on to the flip rooms as they finish up. I don't expect to do anything more than control them for now and get through till harvest(s). I'm gonna have to be real careful about going between rooms, but my veg area is well separated from the flowering area... so I can doooo it!

At least I don't have russet mites anymore... ha ha... I'm getting a little flack for suggesting others use Malathion... but hey, it worked didn't it? and I didn't have to shut everything down. I used the same procedure to eliminate the mites that I laid out for the aphids. Get the veg clean with weekly treatments, and the flower rooms will fall into place.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am so glad I don't have root aphids, we have enough problems with male plants blowing their loads everywhere and Powder Mildew but hopefully between cleaning the room, sulfur burners, gallons of Eagle 20 and a few other tricks we will get it all under control. In fact I am looking forward to running this new Blue Dragon:

picture.php

Oh and I got a snap of Arminus and I cruising around Santa Cruz the other day.....

picture.php

D

DaveTheNewbie

Diatomaceous earth is supposed to shred crawling insects... Idk about the crawlers, but I don't see any flyers making it out of the DE. I'm gonna put a layer of DE on all my existing coco pots.

This is my understanding too. Anything that has a phase that involves burrowing into the coco will be killed by a layer of DE. Pretty damn simple too. If it was easy to get over here it would be on every damn plant i owned.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
DE has to be dry for it to slice up crawlers, and the crawlers have to be soft bellied.
Its is very absorbent.
DE makes up about 70% of my media, the rest is rice hulls.
It may deter them, but it certainly didn't stop them in my grow.
My DE was fairly moist.

Good Luck

Mister_D

Veteran
DE has to be dry for it to slice up crawlers, and the crawlers have to be soft bellied.
Its is very absorbent.
DE makes up about 70% of my media, the rest is rice hulls.
It may deter them, but it certainly didn't stop them in my grow.
My DE was fairly moist.

Good Luck

Highlife is correct. I've have extensively tested the powder form of DE, and once it gets wet it's completely worthless as far as killing bugs. You might try spreading some around the entry/exits to your rooms and just on the floor in general. Sand is realisticly probably your best option to keep the flyers down. Those bug bombs I'm always touting are very effective at killing the flyers and any crawler unlucky enough to breath. I know you're using caps bennies, but maybe grab some met 52 also. IRRC caps has a similar bacteria to met 52, but not the exact same sub-species. Could be wrong about that, but if i'm not it's worth a shot. Attack with extreme prejudice whatever methods you choose, but you know this. Sorry to hear they are back bro, but the upside is this situation might help you understand the advantage of more smaller rooms over a single larger one ;).

Jbonez

Veteran
Not sure what others experience is, but in 4 days with caps bennies I wiped out a fungus gnat infestation.. Not saying it was all the bennies, but Ive never seen them go that quick.. Usually letting the medium dry out properly with enough time would do that, but not in 4 days... As for Root aphids, Id say they are supposed to do the same thing, just never had them to know..

Yall recommend the nematodes? never played with them.. is that Natures Control brand?

bobblehead

Veteran
I'm reading about different methods of control... and I've found testimonials of CAPS bennies doing the job with weekly applications, with photos of dead aphids covered in fungus to back it up... So I ordered 1/2 kilo more of each the foliar and root packs. I'm not going to toss my coco, but rather inoculate all of it with spores. So far everyone has told me that it doesn't matter if I switch mediums, the aphids will find their way in. No need to waste my money.

For realz... I'm not worried this time. CAPS will handle it. Even if they're not 100% eliminated, they'll be controlled and I'll pull out some successful harvests as long as I stay on top of the weekly applications. I was doing every other week, and I forgot a week... maybe 2. I have a good feeling I'm gonna go back to a bunch of dead aphids.

Not that I don't appreciate the advice... cause I do. I'm just going with what I know will work. And some sand.

Jbonez

Veteran
I'm reading about different methods of control... and I've found testimonials of CAPS bennies doing the job with weekly applications, with photos of dead aphids covered in fungus to back it up... So I ordered 1/2 kilo more of each the foliar and root packs. I'm not going to toss my coco, but rather inoculate all of it with spores. So far everyone has told me that it doesn't matter if I switch mediums, the aphids will find their way in. No need to waste my money.

For realz... I'm not worried this time. CAPS will handle it. Even if they're not 100% eliminated, they'll be controlled and I'll pull out some successful harvests as long as I stay on top of the weekly applications. I was doing every other week, and I forgot a week... maybe 2. I have a good feeling I'm gonna go back to a bunch of dead aphids.

Not that I don't appreciate the advice... cause I do. I'm just going with what I know will work. And some sand.

Man I shoulda whipped out my iphone the other day to show you the white fungus building on my roots in the container, shit was beautiful..

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
Wanted to stop by and give you props for dealing with remote grows. Just had my first major bump in the road at my remote grow. Some kid took out a power pole the other day. When I heard it on the radio they said 20 people lost power, so I thought I was clear. It turned out to be 2,000 homes, and I was not in the clear...
My cycle got so fucked up from who knows how many stops and starts, my plants at 8 1/2 weeks started to reveg!
I went in there today to refill the rez, and was startled at the site of new vegetative growth out of ECSD tops...
Luckily, the Blue Dream and Straw DD were close enough to be pulled, but the USD and the ECSD may be heading for a butane bath...
And by the way Bobble, fucking awesome job on the Straw DD! Even at 8 1/2 weeks they are some of the bigger buds I have grown. Two weeks ago I was having doubts, then swell kicked in big time! I have 11 in flower now that were 18" and I am very excited to see what they do in a full 10 weeks.

The sand is a good idea I didn't have much luck with the DE but the sand and apple cider vinegar in cans with a couple of drops of dish soap they love to drown in it also could use wine or juice.

I had one bag of soil that was infested they were all over the house till I set out the traps everywhere covered my coco mix in sand with no soil treatment they have been gone for more than a month.

bobblehead

Veteran
Who's ready to overtake some root aphids? :smokey:

Only after I overtake some turkey tomorrow though!

Last edited:

bobblehead

Veteran
Lol... My research paper is due tomorrow... and I'm going to the parent's a day early... I guess I'm just excited. :D