What's new

Bio Filtered Recirculating DWC

t33to

I just added one of these Hang on Back fliters. My rez has bit of a fish tank smell now... I don't think it's working. From what I gather all I have is a carbon filter... What kind of filter am I wanting to use?

Edit**

Also curious where to get some Barley Flakes. I'm at the point where I feel like I should dump some h202 in there...

SneakySneaky

Veteran
I just added one of these Hang on Back fliters. My rez has bit of a fish tank smell now... I don't think it's working. From what I gather all I have is a carbon filter... What kind of filter am I wanting to use?

Edit**

Also curious where to get some Barley Flakes. I'm at the point where I feel like I should dump some h202 in there...

Don't stress, you've got the correct filter just the wrong filter pad. A local pet store will sell replacement pads, get a filter pad that doesn't have carbon in it (can also get a filter sock and have the water pulln from outside the "sock" and emptying in the "sock). As far as the fish tank smell, I have entirely too many fish tanks and that smell your referring to is organic materials decaying ie poop, roots, plants, food etc. If your getting the smell I'd wager your using an organic nutrient (or partially organic) and its starting the "cycling phase" to establish your bacteria ( smell is likely caused by carbon disrupting the nutrient profile and natural biology using some of your nitrite/nitrates/ammonium to feed bacteria resulting in the organic "fish tank" smell)

put your socks on

put your socks on

I use a sock filter on the return pipes does a fantastic job without introducing algea,mold and fungus in the nutr. water. Maybe fish and water born plants love, but air born plants hate don't . Hydro does not turn your plants into water born so this could be bad thing esp. when they dry the plant with the increase chance of MOLD. nobody likes to see their dried bud slowley turn black.imo:blowbubbles:

Latest posts

Latest posts