What's new

authentic real durban poison?

bigsur51

On a mailtrain.
Premium user
Veteran
420club
To me it’s almost like an astringent piney witch hazel with a touch of peppermint. Same realm as like a jack or trainwreck. That’s how the Colorado Durban is

the Colorado Durban that we grew about 14 years ago came from an old dead head up in Nederland

it was very loud in the anise licorice peppery department

then like so many sad cannabis stories , we lost that cut

we are now working a DP x Triangle Kush

the DP is dominate here and we will be growing many more and selecting the best of the anise licorice peppery group

she was a beast outdoors , 7 footer

IMG_2907.jpeg

Munson

Veteran
the Colorado Durban that we grew about 14 years ago came from an old dead head up in Nederland

it was very loud in the anise licorice peppery department

then like so many sad cannabis stories , we lost that cut

we are now working a DP x Triangle Kush

the DP is dominate here and we will be growing many more and selecting the best of the anise licorice peppery group

she was a beast outdoors , 7 footer

View attachment 18956228
Looks like it. She’s pretty dominant in her progeny. Finishes by end of Sept

Prs2xs

Ace is a bust. All their shit is worked but not for flavor or effect. Pretty sure they breed in hydro and really have no grasp on quality. Everything they sell is myrcene dominant. Their shit all has weak effects, lame terps and a cbn comedown. The Ethiopian (I think) was like a lame wannabe commercial OG in every way. Maybe it was the Guawi or Malawi $of Ethiopia I don't remember it was all shit.

I'm assuming when people talk shit on "Dutch sativa" it's exactly what I've experienced with Spanish "sativa". Bad indica isn't Sativa guys. I still have the Golden taco Thai #3 or whatever the fuck to go through. After the lame as hell zamaldelusia I've got zero hopes and will literally never do anything with these seeds.
Respectfully, I disagree. I'm not an Ace fanboy, but have been using their genetics since 2006 and have had some very nice results. True, I did notice that the testing done shows high levels of myrcene in many of the strains. but a lot of their strains are Africa based genetics, which may or may not be a trait of plants from that region (just a guess).
Anyway, I haven't experienced a problem with potency, and have really not had anything to complain about with their genetics. Jmho

Nannymouse

Durban, port city. Herb could have come from a hundred miles away, or more. Of course, there were differences in what got shipped out. It would be like expecting every shipment out of a california port to have one flavor or effect or lineage or finish time. Also, before plastic wrap, burlap bags were common for shipping. Ya think a few seeds fell out, on the trip to (or storage at) the docks? What got shipped out on Monday, could have been entirely different than what got shipped on Tuesday. Durban also has a population...it's a city, and we all know that each city in north america (or anywhere) grows only one type of weed?(obviously not)

I feel the same way about the 'that's not thai' comments. How in the world does anyone expect an area that is 1.3% larger than california, to grow or export something identical? Does California grow all one type? Thailand is a long country, overlay maps show Thailand to cover an area that is from well into the great lakes, all the way down to Jacksonville, Fl.

Also, talking about 'flowering time'...I have this theory that most landraces will have a 'faster' version of itself. Plants that made viable seeds before a 'disaster' would have a great advantage over the longer flowering seed, that might have survived underground from the previous year(s). If 'disasters' do not happen in a few years straight, the faster flowering trait will not be common...if there are more years of 'disasters', there would be more.

As far as flavor being a determining indicator of what lineage a plant is...take a bunch of seed from one 'strain', you will usually find a range of flavor. Some may have a dominant flavor, with some nuance, and others are wildly varied. A certain flavor can also be found in 'opposites', say licorice (or skunk, etc) flavor/aroma found in both sativa type and indica type.

Cannabis has been heavily traded for thousands of years. Stuff mingles, changes over time. Who is to say that the 'real' anything is from a certain time period. If someone thinks the 'real' Durban was from the 1960's and not 'after', then what about the plants that were growing in the Durban area back in the 1800's, which may have been quite different than in the 60's?

Considering all this, isn't it just nonsense to argue what is the 'real'? If you liked the dutch licorice version, then that's probably a better place to find it than expecting that from the other Durban lines.

Rastafarout

Premium user
Agree with the not grown in Durban it couldn’t be too hot for such large volumes especially back in the day SANAB
didn’t play !
Most came from the Transkei and Lesotho a bit from Swaziland .. Malawi sometimes but the East African stuff easier out of Mombasa harbour ..so

Disagree with the old DP not being liquorice /aniseed/ sweet herbal pepper even clovey mint spice

Those terps are all same family and smell different to different people.. but yeah the old school durbs had those terps , and many small tight buds … not big colas at all

OleReynard

How does anyone of you actually know how each terpene smell like by itself ? Is it possible to buy little samples of each to train one's nose like they do in the perfume industry ?
My question would be how does anybody know what the real Durb smells like when Durban is a port that everything went thru.
Just like stated previously.

Best Durb I had was a black licorice anise smelling plant.
I've had the Durb from the NW it has broader leaves and has a hint of grape to it.
This is was a held plant in that area.

OleReynard

Durban, port city. Herb could have come from a hundred miles away, or more. Of course, there were differences in what got shipped out. It would be like expecting every shipment out of a california port to have one flavor or effect or lineage or finish time. Also, before plastic wrap, burlap bags were common for shipping. Ya think a few seeds fell out, on the trip to (or storage at) the docks? What got shipped out on Monday, could have been entirely different than what got shipped on Tuesday. Durban also has a population...it's a city, and we all know that each city in north america (or anywhere) grows only one type of weed?(obviously not)

I feel the same way about the 'that's not thai' comments. How in the world does anyone expect an area that is 1.3% larger than california, to grow or export something identical? Does California grow all one type? Thailand is a long country, overlay maps show Thailand to cover an area that is from well into the great lakes, all the way down to Jacksonville, Fl.

Also, talking about 'flowering time'...I have this theory that most landraces will have a 'faster' version of itself. Plants that made viable seeds before a 'disaster' would have a great advantage over the longer flowering seed, that might have survived underground from the previous year(s). If 'disasters' do not happen in a few years straight, the faster flowering trait will not be common...if there are more years of 'disasters', there would be more.

As far as flavor being a determining indicator of what lineage a plant is...take a bunch of seed from one 'strain', you will usually find a range of flavor. Some may have a dominant flavor, with some nuance, and others are wildly varied. A certain flavor can also be found in 'opposites', say licorice (or skunk, etc) flavor/aroma found in both sativa type and indica type.

Cannabis has been heavily traded for thousands of years. Stuff mingles, changes over time. Who is to say that the 'real' anything is from a certain time period. If someone thinks the 'real' Durban was from the 1960's and not 'after', then what about the plants that were growing in the Durban area back in the 1800's, which may have been quite different than in the 60's?

Considering all this, isn't it just nonsense to argue what is the 'real'? If you liked the dutch licorice version, then that's probably a better place to find it than expecting that from the other Durban lines.
Exactly

Rastafarout

Premium user
Because in my opinion Durban like you say just a port .. the first and second grade was exported..so that “Durban” was just the best from the the Transkei Lesotho and hidden valleys in Kwa Zulu Natal which is Durban province
The Good Swazi was distinctively different but also hit Durbs .
I think maybe they smugglers got paid in product ? Then it hit the streets
Probably also quick cash to Chuck a few bags to the gangs.
Maybe the harbour people’s share hit the streets
Very few people were going to get it themselves, kept close definitely not sold

Anyway that expression of the “Durban” landrace , got high in demand hence
Durban poison but grown in different regions

This took a while to brew as there weren’t any cuttings back then
Maybe as early as the late 50’s
Then 60’s-70’s spreading
80’s hitting hard up till early 90’s when Dutch strains took off

This is what can be gathered on the web searching bust data (gross amount found)
UN “drug” reports and a few scholarly studies
Also being from SA i have smoked and grown most those strains and bought “Durban pencils” back then

Gunter

Has anyone tried the one by Khalifa? Allegedly the old durban which also flowers a lot longer.

For me it's between that and the Dutch passion durban. The dp is the anise one, I heard.

Last edited:

cbotany

There was alot of real durban traded back and forth in the ethnobotany appreciation society, I've given away most of mine to people around the us, but the seeds are out there, If you find south african, and south african x blue cheese its probably from one of us. The problem is the size of the plants, they're monsters, so you need to be in a legal area or be willing to risk alot, I don't know how many breeders are still working the lines, but I think they where pink pistil small budded long flowering sativas. If anyone knows "sam pedro" they can probably trace some back.

Rastafarout

Premium user
You say there was a lot of real Durban what’s that and you have any links to the society? Super interested
Also hate it when people say South Africa cross this or South African cross that
As it’s like saying florida cross whatever or Tamil cross ect … vague
Needs to be more precise . Not getting @ you just saying

Nannymouse

You say there was a lot of real Durban what’s that and you have any links to the society? Super interested
Also hate it when people say South Africa cross this or South African cross that
I feel the same way, but sometimes it just isn't possible to know the exact location. Is weed trade legal in s.africa?

cbotany

Hey man, yeah we have precise location down to the back yard in south africa, but the ethnobotany society is no more, this group of younger people got in an ousted our captain "sam pedro" who used to be known as "mush room" the woman who has the seeds is still on my facebook friend list, alot of englishmen got the strains, and blue cheese was given to her by a memeber that she crossed with. I don't know how dedicated you guys are, but they're still around, I've given enough information that anyone who was around and breeding in the late 2000's or early 2010's will probally be able to find some seeds, Just find the one who used to be called mush, now sam, he's a nice guy and will point you in the right direction.

Rastafarout

Premium user
I feel the same way, but sometimes it just isn't possible to know the exact location. Is weed trade legal in s.africa?
Not exact location, obviously ,
but but at least within 100ks or so maximum, they don't give a feck in South Africa
But yes seed sales are legal or there's a loophole and South Africa is massive and Africa even more so
We need clearer definition and regions

cbotany

@cbotany ah yeah now you say names I know …another ou that … also has seed company with goat in the name ?
I don't think so man, none of us are too professional, like i have a seed company but its tiny, its probably in the hands of more random back yard growers it wasn't a "for profit thing" If you have something cool someone will trade you seeds that has them more thank likely. I've traded enough out over the years. If I had any left I'd just give you them.

cbotany

I can't list any names, most are working professionals, but like I said, Sam probably can point you into the right direction, and it makes the hunt more fun! He might even have some left, its more fun to make friends and share seeds then to buy them imo, most landraces come in that way :)

Rastafarout

Premium user
I can't list any names, most are working professionals, but like I said, Sam probably can point you into the right direction, and it makes the hunt more fun! He might even have some left, its more fun to make friends and share seeds then to buy them imo, most landraces come in that way :)
I know the dudes you’re talking about it does have goat in the name 🙂 I’m not looking for any I have my own
it was @Gunter asking about Khalifa

I’m just checking how legit they are
are cos those aren’t and the goat guy the seeds are from drakensburg / foothills maybe valley of thousands hills and recently? I saw on Ig
You have any Picts of the pure one not the blue cheese x