What's new

An Inexpensive & Better CFL for Growing in Small Spaces

chosen

Veteran
I've used farmtek lights and the 65 watters like Icon is using. They are really nice and a great spectrum,but Pipe comes up with some slick stuff

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Like the man said.......... a lghtbulb socket hanging on the end of the powercord. For CFLs, its all you need.

touringfunkband

four420twenty said:
I went to 4 different dollar stores and found nothing like this.
I wouldn't expect these hanging sockets at any dollar store. Best head to a wal-mart or home depot. You can find them in the hardware department attached to those large aluminum dish-like reflectors..

One thing about the floodlights originally mentioned by "Pipedream" is that the Lights of America R40 is a warm white bulb which only puts out 1000 lumens at a color temp of 2800.

The Lights of America 9365 floodlight "Icon" mentioned puts out 4550 lumens at a color temp of 6500 - which would be a superior light for vegetative growth.

Please correct me if I've fumbled in anyway here..

I

icon

after you take off the plastic cover (2 little screws) thats covering the bulb
i drilled a little hole on each side of the lamp which is plastic & screwed in little 1" metal hooks & hang them from small chain.

touringfunkband

icon said:
after you take off the plastic cover (2 little screws) thats covering the bulb
i drilled a little hole on each side of the lamp which is plastic & screwed in little 1" metal hooks & hang them from small chain.
Good deal.. I ended up epoxying two of those metal 1" hooks I had left over - to the back side of the reflector. This setup took all of about a minute to wire up and she was ready to go. Thanks again for the tip on this light.

I

icon

cool deal, i love these lights you wont be disapointed. ive had mine for around
4 years & im thinking about adding another one. bright little things huh?
i have the earlier model my box said 6800 lumens but the new ones say
4550 lumens but whatever. enjoy & happy growing

highonthechroni

C
Veteran
Nice thread - wonder how long until they arrive in South Africa...

Would also be nice to see some bud grown from these lights! (Yes I know most people prefer to use CFL for supplementing).

touringfunkband

icon said:
cool deal, i love these lights you wont be disapointed. ive had mine for around
4 years & im thinking about adding another one. bright little things huh?
i have the earlier model my box said 6800 lumens but the new ones say
4550 lumens but whatever. enjoy & happy growing
Yeah, the model I just picked up #9265 puts out 6825 lumens. There's another one on sale right now at HD that puts out 4550 lumens. I was using a CFL that put out 2800 lumens at a temp of 6500k so the the single LOA light is more then doubling that output with a single bulb! Perfect for my veg cabinet..

G

I have grown kolas the size of Pringle cans with cfl's.HPS is better less plant moving and turning.I have an all cfl bloom box for playing and breeding.You will have better success if you add some cool whites and mix the spectrum not more than 30% and eliminate them after stretch.

chosen

Veteran
I like those LOAs for veg. I use them to get my cuts up to 7" before they go into flowering. They are a nice inexpensive light with a reflector.

Latest posts

Latest posts