What's new

AM I LOOKING AT TMV ?

Plant Whisperer
Veteran
http://www.botgard.ucla.edu/html/bo...s/generalstructure/leafcolor/variegation.html
Variegated Leaves
Total absence of plastid pigments causes a sector of a leaf or stem to have white patches. This condition is termed variegation (Metrosideros). Variegation is produced when there is a cell mutation (cytological chimera), and all cells produced from that mutant mother cell lack the pigments, either because plastids are not present or the plastid cannot complete the manufacture of the pigment apparatus. White, therefore, is where color is missing. The zones where chloroplasts are not present are zones where no photosynthesis will occur, hence a variegated leaf has a lowered potential to fix carbon dioxide into sugars, and as a consequence, a variegated plant also tends to grow more slowly.

Variegated leaves occur rarely in nature but are extremely common among indoor and outdoor ornamentals, where they have been saved as horticultural oddities. Species with variegated individuals are sometimes found in the understory of tropical rain forest, and this habitat is the source of a number of variegated house plants. The appearance of variegation in the tropical forest understory, if not simply by accident, has not been given a plausible explanation.

Some variegated ornamentals have only a fringe of white around the leaf (Example: Pittosporum), sometimes irregular dots (Examples: a bromeliad and Begonia) and spots (Examples: Dieffenbachia, an aloe, and an orchid), sometimes broad panels of white (Examples: a bromeliad, shell ginger, Pisonia, and a fig), and even an occasional leaf that is totally achlorophyllous (white; Example: Hedera helix). Among monocotyledons, strips of stem internode may also be achlorophyllous (Example: variegated sugar cane). On a single plant, you can observe leaves with all different degrees of variegation, but a plant may also produce individual leaves or entire shoots that are all green (Examples: Coprosma, Abutilon, Euonymus, and Bougainvillea), and which did not involve mother cells with mutant plastids. On the same plant, totally green leaves tend to be much larger than the variegated ones. Some very colorful variegated horticultural forms occur when the leaf cells can produce vacuolar pigments, such as anthocyanins, which then produce patches of pink where chlorophyll is absent (Example: Acalypha).

Out of the tropics have arisen some very unusual variegated forms (Example: a gesneriad). One of the most photographed is a species of Calathea, which has patches of green, surrounded by white tissue resembling a set of leaves within a single leaf blade.

It is easy to dismiss variegation as an uninteresting series of mutant forms, rare in nature, but there are some plants living in full-sun habitats that possess variegated leaves. Examples are certain species of clover (Trifolium), possessing a V-shaped clear mark on each leaflet. Among tropical epiphytes are numerous species of bromeliads and certain orchids. Typically, variegated individuals can persist in nature via cloning, i.e., vegetative propagation by forming new plants from buds, as in bromeliads, orchids, aloes, and agaves, rather than via seeds, which would necessarily be a rare event.

Many leaves have white or nongreen veins, causing the leaf to appear variegated (Examples: an aroid, Sanchezia, striped inch plant, and milk thistle). The white vein is caused by the absence of chlorophyll-bearing cells above or below the conducting tissues of the vein. Most commonly, no stomates are found directly on a vein, so the cells, incapable of receiving adequate carbon dioxide, are not equipped for photosynthesis. Leaves with white veins should not be classified as variegated, although they are sometimes also grown as horticultural oddities.

Last edited:

sirgrassalot

Domesticator of Cannabis
Veteran
I had a seedling show the two tone leaf straight down the centre like the one pictured on this thread. The plant reproduced that leaf on the same side all the way up as I grew it out. Twas a male & was killed it wasn't the healthiest of plants so I would have not cloned it. That leaf would curl while the others looked fine.

Here it is......
38360nls4.jpg

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
420247 said:

Be careful. That's how the TMV is spread. If you smoked a cigarette, you probably have the virus on your hands. Then you touched the pack of cigs, transferring it to the pack, then onto your plant.

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
The over-processed cigarettes that most people smoke are highly unlikely to spread TMV. I'm acquainted with an orchid nurseryman who inherited the family business from his gramps, who was a 2+ pack a day Marlboro smoker... IN the greenhouses. Never had issues, but he doesn't let his crew smoke in there now, and says he'd be most concerned over natural products like cigars or American Spirits.

Koskesh

to the OP, that's definitely tmv, and as others have said if you keep the plants healthy you should have few to no symptoms - and yields are not affected. My best yielder has it, and it has not spread to my other strain with 3 grows and clones of clones, smoking cigs and joints all over the place :joint: so I also have to agree with stinkyattic (as usual) that packaged, processed cigs are worse for you than your plants.

i've noticed it DOES have to do with stress, in that a highly stressed plant will definitely exhibit more symptoms than a healthy one. i took clones from plants 8 weeks into 12/12 and rooted/revegged them - at 15" with 6 tops these plants had so many affected leaves i thought they'd die, but they grew out of it for the most part once they were completely revegged. took cuts from these and they are fine. hope that helps

G

Greyskull

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK!!!!!!!!!!

So I am woring in my garden tending my vegging plant and I take a look over at my Grape Romulan. She'd been looking sooooo strong 2 days ago but today she was all wilty and pale and sad looking.

So like loving father I take my girl into my hands and start looking her over... when I found..... this

picture.php

FUCKING HELLS ANGELS & LARRY OG KUSH SPREAD WHATEVER IT IS TO MY GRAPE ROMULAN MOM. They were not ever touching... the only thing I can think of is I touched the Grape Rom after touching the OGs without using any purell (hand sanitizer) first. Not sure which OG is the culprit but I have gone ahead and tossed all the cuts I took of them 3 days ago. The donor plants are 3 days into flower so I might as well flower them out they are already on the tray with everything else... which is gonna get chopped and kiled in 54 days anyways.

I don't care if its TMV or not. Whatever it is has cought my attention and now I have to do keep any eye out and hope nothing else got it. I am fucking bummed folks. I can source a new GR, thats no problem.

Its just.... FUCK. FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J

JeffSpicoli

No way! what!? i cant believe it, but there is no denying that picture. Ive had affected plants in my garden for quite some time, but havent had any spread to other strains.
Thats a real bummer man!
Do you have backup cuts of the grape rom from before you noticed it?

G

Greyskull

no backups there are some satelites i let out so if i cannot get it from the original suorce i can still get her back. thank goodness.

Pirate

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death !!
Veteran
Never heard of this before.

Thanks for the heads up GreySkull !!!

I did read on external links that the virus displays "Sore Like bubbles" that spread within hours and kills plants within days so...........How do you know this is TMV just by a deformed or off colored leaf? A Horticulture biolab I went to claims it is untreatable and will wipe out your whole crop.......FAST. Some of you guys are saying that you keep the plants and they are fine. (even after 20 years)

I'm just asking because of the conflicting info.

bterzz

Veteran
There is another guy claiming to have had numerous reports with TMV. I can post some more pics. I want to be sure.
2133kc2.jpg

G

Greyskull

hey bterzz, i don't see any sign of the crazy leaf curl or discoloration that resemble what spicoli or I have posted... thats what you need to look for.... i think

yours look like they could use a dose of cal/mag to rid that "praying for magnesium" thing they have going on. i am not the best/most experienced diagnoser of isseus

bterzz

Veteran
the "praying for magnesium" thing is more-so of either 1) heat issue (although never reached aboved 90) or 2) mass-overwatering.

I'm trying to figure it out, maybe the cal/mag is what it is.

Any other two cents?? Trying to figure this out for a few days but it seems to be growing out of it.

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
the "praying for magnesium" thing is more-so of either 1) heat issue (although never reached aboved 90) or 2) mass-overwatering.

I'm trying to figure it out, maybe the cal/mag is what it is.

Any other two cents?? Trying to figure this out for a few days but it seems to be growing out of it.

When your leaves cup like in your pictures they are trying to avoid getting too much light, raise the light up about a foot and they should be fine...