What's new

A Taste of Africa from Malawi

airplane

18/6 for the veg period, 12/12 for 7 weeks, then 11.5/12.5.
How long do you veg ? one more question: what did you feed - teas or nutrients (bottled) all my years never grew 100% sativa's (except Dr.Gridspoon) thinking that they don't need or want may nutrients "also use of "n" only in veg - overall light feed them here is what I plan:
veg at 12/12 for 2-3 weeks then
24hr dark time before flower flip (this will shorten total grow time) then
13.5 or 14hrs dark time for flower
Use n" in veg (reduced rates)
Use tea's in flower
Thoughts Please !!!! --------------------------------Thanks

Old Fogey

How long do you veg ? one more question: what did you feed - teas or nutrients (bottled) all my years never grew 100% sativa's (except Dr.Gridspoon) thinking that they don't need or want may nutrients "also use of "n" only in veg - overall light feed them here is what I plan:
Use tea's in flower
My thoughts ...

Don't impose a 24 hour dark period upon plants prior to flip, it serves no purpose other than to mess with the plant's circadian rhythms.

After the flip give the grow at least 11hrs of light each day. Any less will deprive your plants unnecessarily. You could drop it down to 10.5 hours of light per day late in bloom if excessive reflowering is occurring. Personally, I would flower Malawi at 11.5 hours per day (and maybe dropping to 11 hours for the final 3 or 4 weeks).

Peace

Last edited:

amc888

Use tea's in flower
I vegged my Malawi for 51 days. I fed her with both teas and bottled nutrients, BioBizz Grow, Bloom and TopMax. The soilmix I use consists of soil, Guanokalong bat guano, worm castings and perlite. I did not feed the plant during the veg period, only water. Then I top dressed with bat guano and worm castings during flowering. At the beginning of week 6 I noticed some burnt leaves. I guess it is because of bat guano. I guess shouldn't have top dressed with guano. But the damage was minor. As for 24 hours of darkness, I only did that a couple of years ago and did not notice any difference.

airplane

I vegged my Malawi for 51 days. I fed her with both teas and bottled nutrients, BioBizz Grow, Bloom and TopMax. The soilmix I use consists of soil, Guanokalong bat guano, worm castings and perlite. I did not feed the plant during the veg period, only water. Then I top dressed with bat guano and worm castings during flowering. At the beginning of week 6 I noticed some burnt leaves. I guess it is because of bat guano. I guess shouldn't have top dressed with guano. But the damage was minor. As for 24 hours of darkness, I only did that a couple of years ago and did not notice any difference.
Great info - thanks for your knowledge !!!!!!! feel that sativa's are a bit to sensitive when it comes to nutrient use - have heard that "n" can be it's enemy ?? like you feel that tea's and top dressing work well

Old Fogey

My thoughts ...

Don't impose a 24 hour dark period upon plants prior to flip, it serves no purpose other than to mess with the plant's circadian rhythms.

After the flip give the grow at least 11hrs of light each day. Any less will deprive your plants unnecessarily. You could drop it down to 10.5 hours of light per day late in bloom if excessive reflowering is occurring. Personally, I would flower Malawi at 11.5 hours per day (and maybe dropping to 11 hours for the final 3 or 4 weeks).

Peace
This is a Malawi (regular) Purple pheno I grew beside several other Malawi back in 2017. I flowered them all the way at 11hrs 30min ON/12hrs 30min OFF.

Peace

Attachments

• 20170808_162810.jpg
    20170808_162810.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 130
  • 20170808_162429.jpg
    20170808_162429.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 122
  • 20170808_132644.jpg
    20170808_132644.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 125

airplane

This is a Malawi (regular) Purple pheno I grew beside several other Malawi back in 2017. I flowered them all the way at 11hrs 30min ON/12hrs 30min OFF.

Peace
thanks great info - no dark period before flip for me also - now Also would you run Panama the same ? also have a mailwe x panama also planning run all 3 at one --thoughts ?

tjmccoy

Veteran

Peace

Wow 🤩 What a beauty man! How did she smoke? From reg seed stock? What was the stretch like on this one? I’m running regs now will have lots of f2 seeds to work through after this harvest would love to find it!

Old Fogey

Gorgeous plant. And that's a purple pheno from a regular Malawi pack?
Yes, from a pack of Ace Malawi Regular purchased from Herbies in 2017. I purchased 2 further packs directly from Ace at the same time. Ace had almost run out of stock so I purchased the extra pack from the UK that yielded the Purple pheno. It was grown all the way from seed at 11.30/12.30.

I crossed it with Peak Seeds BC Blueberry with excellent results.

That cola was huge, as thick as a medium sized soda bottle and around 15-18" long.

Peace

Last edited:

Old Fogey

thanks great info - no dark period before flip for me also - now Also would you run Panama the same ? also have a mailwe x panama also planning run all 3 at one --thoughts ?
I grew some Panama regular that same year but don't have pics. 11.30 ON/12.30 OFF from seed. Had two Red pheno fems, one runt and one monster. Huge main cola and terminal buds. Along with a couple of Dutch Passion Durban Poison regular fems I would say it was the biggest yielding plant I've ever grown.

Peace

Last edited:

Old Fogey

Wow 🤩 What a beauty man! How did she smoke? From reg seed stock? What was the stretch like on this one? I’m running regs now will have lots of f2 seeds to work through after this harvest would love to find it!
The yield was very high. Around 4oz from a 1 gal pot. It finished growing at perhaps 4 1/2 feet in height (untopped) and was grown at 11.30/12.30 from seed.

The smoke was mild, but to be fair to the plant I chopped it too late and I had massive problems with fluctuating temps and humidity at the time.

I crossed it to three regular males of Peak Seeds BC Blueberry. I've sexed maybe 30 of the offspring so far and every single one has been female. I have decided that 2 of the 3 Blueberry males were infertile and the third threw only the X chromosone.

The yield on the cross is exceptional. The buds are rock hard. But only one in four has a high THC/low CBD chemotype. The other 75% have a balanced chemotype. I still have 25 or so beans but won't be growing them out any time soon because of the high percentage of mild smoking plants.

Peace

Last edited:

Biosystem

Yes, from a pack of Ace Malawi Regular purchased from Herbies in 2017. I purchased 2 further packs directly from Ace at the same time. Ace had almost run out of stock so I purchased the extra pack from the UK that yielded the Purple pheno. It was grown all the way from seed at 11.30/12.30.

I crossed it with Peak Seeds BC Blueberry with excellent results.

That cola was huge, as thick as a medium sized soda bottle and around 15-18" long.

Peace
I'm so jealous. To get a purple pheno that has all-Malawi genetics. . . What a find.

Latest posts

Latest posts