What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

250W CFL in old bar-cabinet (9 cubic ft total)

jrw

Time for an update.

Sadly, only 5/10 LS x GG came out of the soil. Dunno what went wrong, but I've had 100% succes rate on the extra seeds I have germed and planted since.

These new arrivals are 7 homemade outdoor-crosses. The parents are from a freebie outdoor pack from a local danish seedbank (obviously different strains), which I just harvested recently. I love the smoke off the mother so much, that I thought what the heck. I will just refer to these plants as Unknown Outdoor X '07 from now on.

So, this is what I got.
5 LS x GG (1 runt, that I'll remove soon).
7 Unknown Outdoor X '07 (1 still not above soil).

Oh, and BTW. I've switched to 12/12.

Here you can see how things have worked out. I find it interessting that almost all plants have come out of the soil on different times compaired to flipping the lights. Some a straight up 12/12 from seed, others have vegged as long as 10 days.

Running 12/12 Im back to 2x125W 2700K

Difference in development :)

Im seriously contemplating leaving one or two LS x GG males inthere, should they show up. Then I'd end up with (LS x GG) x (LS x GG) and Unknown OuOutdoor '07 x (LS x GG) seeds for future grows.

rkone,
could you please elaborate on the 12/12 from seed perpetual sewing/harvesting method? Whats gained and whats lost? I'm thinking a lot about it atm :D

One thing is for sure. This cabinet is running 12/12 through this AND my next grow. Strain is Jahwi's Joy from Ghana. You know what? The sun shines for 12 hours a day in Ghana all year 'round :joint:

Must be a perfect strain for a 12/12 from seed grow.

Cheers everybody!
Hope you dont find my posts too long and/or boring :headbange

G

i guess if your are running a constant 12/12 from seed perpetual, the main benefit would be turn around times for buds after you get your stash built up, but if you get bad male to fem ratios at any time when planting a high number of seeds it could offset your supply but a turn around time from something like that would in return be offset by the turn around time of seeds to buds.

but a better explanation would be to refer to pros and cons in relation to a non perpetual garden:

pros

quick turn around time for buds
ability to do a large sog in a small space
large vertical space not necessarily required (strain specific)
extra crop per year

cons
lowered yields
a bunch of small plants that need to be tended to
lowered yields

just to name a few, so as you can see there is no real disadvantage to utilizing your space by doing a perpetual 12/12 from seed with a little lst it would be a killer.

sorry if this doesnt make sense but im really ripped and thats what i was able to write down for ya. :rasta:

jrw

Yeah, your words make sense. Many of the things resemble what I'm currently thinking.

Two main themes as I see it regarding the theorizing of veg vs non.veg growing;
1. Cost-related thoughts (GPW / year).
2. Benefits and joys of shortest way from seed to bud.

G

You could get a 250w HPS in there in a cooltube or aircooled hood, I had a similar setup with a pair of 6 inch 12v computer fans for exhaust/intake and an 85 cubic metre 24v inline 5-inch inline fan drawing air through the cooltube with the other end of the cooltube open so it was sucking in air from the cab. A 250w HPS in a cooltube will easily outperform a pair of 125w CFLs.

microRU

HPS and CLF lamps of identical power, allocate about identical quantity of heat
Only luminescent lamps are better cooled from for the big surface, and it is necessary to blow in HPS lamps
If it is interesting to you how to instal a HPS lamp in boxing I will draw the scheme.

GDB

rkrone said:
if you have another space that you could put a mother into dont scrog this first run, but instead get some clones of a female then run perpetual scrog, nothing is a bigger pain than vegging to fill a screen only to have to un-weave a male plant from the screen.

if you dont have a space for mothers i would go 12/12 from seed with lst and just keep putting new seeds in the place of males when they show up, another form of perpetual

You kill me man, just the thought of un-weaving a male from the damn screen! lol :)

jrw

microRU said:
If it is interesting to you how to instal a HPS lamp in boxing I will draw the scheme.

Im not sure what you mean, but I'd like to see it illustrated :D

microRU

The basic element - of a regiment-fixture. It should be Heatisolated and tight

For work with the filter the fan from an automobile oven very well approaches. It silent, works from 12V and develops very big pressure..

jrw

microRU,
Looks absolutely awsome!

Not sure I have the handyman skills needed for such a fine DIY job though :D

Why would the mixed spectrum be too expensive? The 125 watt CFL costs very little to run. Three of them wouldnt be very expensive at all. The results would be so much better.

Connoisseur300

Smoke it if ya got it!!
Veteran
This cab is really nice and very clean I'm shure with the right skills and system in there it could be a great producer. This is just my two cents but I think anyone who is thinking of upgrading from a 150 to a 250 should seriously think about getting two 150s totaling 300 watts of light that's dispersed better and you can get the bulbs locally. Oh, not to mention there is less heat.

B

Brad

cool i just noticed this thread,hehe i Havent even grown these yet,lemon swiss is the mom,it can get stretchy but nice nugs,ive never grown it in less then a 7 gallon,the godzilla male will hopefully bring down the flowering time as the swiss goes for 10-11 weeks.curious how it does in a small box grow...updates?
godzilla grape

lemon swiss

Last edited:

jrw

Time for an update :joint:

First things first.

matt_oates_11,
Well. You're right. But Im on a tight budget, so 250 is all its gonna be :(

Connoisseur300,

Word up! Glad you like it. I know I do :D

BreederBrad2,
These are mystery seeds to me and those plants and buds you show off are wooping awsome! Simply a different liga... :D Glad you stopped by. How long would you think they should flower? Thank you so much for these seeds. I hope I can do them justice. :headbange

DownDrome,

AbbieDoobie,

doobieman2,

JDK,

Thanks for stopping by!

And then some pics:

The 3 Lemon Swiss x Godzilla Grape females I ended up with. 25-28 days old, 17 days 12/12.

Let the bondage begin. They quickly outgrew me. Or I chickened out :D 3.5 liter TEKU pots.

Group shot :D There's 2 Royal Danes in there. A highly renowed danish outdoor strain. Just experimenting... The LS x GGs are 34 days 12/12, vegged 4, 7 and 8 days.

My own outdoor cross. 37 days old, 37 days 12/12. One vegged for 2 days... (not the tallest). 1 liter apple juice cartons.

My single Apollo 11 female. She's been treated wrong, but she mainly serves as an experiment. I have 8 beans left for a future grow and just want to get a feel of how the strain is. 2 liter soda bottle (super Topform!) that hold probably 1.5 liter soil mix. Transplanted today and I expect her to recover quickly.

And my growlog

Peace out guys,

Just ask away... :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts