What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How To Remote Ballast a 150W HPS Vapor Tight Light

Quazi

Hello everyone.

Quazi here with another helpful (hopefully) DIY guide to help you along in your travels. But first:
:bongsmi:

Also, I'd like to take this opportunity to give mad props to this thread:
converting a home security light into a remote ballast grow light (the OG FAQ)
:respect:

Now then: today, we're going to look at remote ballasting the 150w HPS Vapor Tight light. The one that I'm using here can be purchased from e-conolights. This is the $20.00 version mind you, not the $25.00.

I want to say one thing before I get started:

And don't forget to unplug:

For all your wiring, I recommend getting heavy duty replacement cables. I purchased an 8 ft., 16 gauge replacement cord rated for 13 amps. Operating safely is important when you are doing something like this. To impart some electrical knowledge, I bring you Jorge Cervantes since I can't say it any better:
Electrical wire comes in many thicknesses (gauges) indicated by number. Higher numbers indicate smaller wire and lower numbers indicate larger wire. Most household circuits are connected with 14-gauge wire. Wire thickness is important for two reasons--ampacity and voltage drop. Ampacity is the amount of amperes a wire is able to carry safely. Electricity flowing through wire creates heat. The more amps flowing, the more heat created. Heat is wasted power. Avoid wasting power by using the proper thickness of well-insulted wire.
Ensure that you have a fuse in your house that you can plug this into safely. You can see the amperage rating of your fuse by looking at the number on the fuse in your fuse box. Most will be 15. If you have an American circuit breaker then your are probably running 120V. Safe usage of the electricity running through there is %80. You want to maintain this to reduce heat buildup and/or overload. 120 * 15 = 1800W. 80% of that is 1440W. Now consider other things you may have running on that circuit:
-Computer with 350W power supply?
-Lamps with 40W light bulbs?
-Printers?
-Heaters?
-Appliances?
-You get the point. Check your s$%& and don't overload your circuit.

Getting back to the cord... considering an 80% safe usage on the 13 amps, you can still safely use the wire for the 150W lamp. I will not go into the math here, again. If you are interested in the details: look up Ohm's Law.

With the electricity discussion behind us, we can now get onto the fun stuff.

:ying: :ying: How To Remote Ballast a 150W HPS Vapor Tight Light :ying: :ying:

So, the first step is getting your lamp. You can order it from the company using their online order form. I ordered an extra lamp with it. Here is what I got in the mail:

While that is on it's way, you should need some supplies. Before you go out and get some used supplies from some junk bin at a hardware place or out of a dumpster: consider where these electrics may be and/or what they may be near. Now consider the god-awful molded, rotted, worn down meth house this little electrical screw may have come from. Just think about that when you are getting supplies. They aren't very expensive and you'll have to clean the other stuff anyway. So, here's what you'll need:
-the previously discussed wire - I recommended 8ft. because that is plenty for my needs. In this guide, we will be cutting the wire in different lengths: 1 being the plug to the ballast, the other being the ballast where the lamp/socket needs to be. Ensure you get a long enough replacement cable, or additional cable, to suit your needs.
-a 4 inch electrical box
-some wire cutters and wire strippers (or a combo of the them)
-wire screws (variety pack with different sizes is good)

There are other alternatives to the above, but you get the idea.

Once a week or so has passed, you'll have your supplies and a lamp. Now that you have your light, you can become a little bit happier:
:jump:

With your excitement complete, it's time to get your light out of the package and get it ready to disassemble:

The first thing you'll notice about the light is that it is much heavier and bulkier than anticipated. Trust me. The first two things to remove are the screws on the outside that hold the cage and "light jar" for lack of a better word:

Screws removed, you can twist the cage and pull it off. The light jar will twist out, like a jar, and then you can get your lamp from inside. Set your lamp aside:

Try not to get too many fingerprints on the lamp. If you do, most suggest you wipe them off with a cloth:

There are some weird hidden screws that you have to get to now. They are hidden underneath the large flat rubber guard in the ballast housing. Simply pry the rubber casing up and cut it off. You don't need it. Then you can access the screws underneath:

Once you have removed those screws, you will want to remove the screws that are in the very base of the light socket. They are two small silver screws. Be careful when you are removing these and use a small enough screwdriver to fit in there. You don't want to jam something in there and break the socket. I took the bit out of the screwdriver and used it:

Now you can move to the 3 screws surrounding the ballast housing:

The light will open, and you will see the 4 parts that are the inside of the light.

There is a brass colored bar that is holding the ballast in the casing. Leave that in there for now. You can inspect the parts now in all of their glory. Before you disassemble, take a good look at how the unit is wired. Especially if you are unfamiliar with wiring. While a guide can be helpful, but it is good to take a look for yourself. Take notes if you want. Now you can take off the big brass bar. Unscrew all the wire caps. If you took the screws out of the socket before, it will come off now. Now you have your ballast, your ignitor, and your socket. You should give yourself a pat on the back 'cause your halfway through.

Last edited:

Quazi

How To Remote Ballast a 150W HPS Vapor Tight Light - Part Deux

How To Remote Ballast a 150W HPS Vapor Tight Light - Part Deux

We've got all of our pieces sitting in front of us.

We've got the ballast (deceptively heavy):

We've got the ignitor:

And we've got the socket:

You've also got your plug cord and your extension cord.

A note before we start to put the wires together: take your time with the next few steps. Ensuring that your wires are securely twisted together and that the wire screws are on securely is very important.

I recommended 8 ft. before as you can use the plug to attach to the ballast and use the remaining cord to extend the length from the ballast to the socket.

First, you will want to measure how much distance you will need from your plug, to where your ballast will rest it's electrical box. If you are good at stripping wires then you know how much more space to give yourself. If you aren't, give yourself plenty of extra cable: you may accidentally cut into the cables within the outer jacket, and need to start with a fresh cut again.

Strip the wires so that you have adequate room to attach them together. Here's what you'll have
Plug Cord: W, Blk, Grn
Ballast Extension Cord (the other half of the cord): W, Blk, Grn
Ballast: B, Red, Blu
Ignitor: Red, W, Blu
Socket: W, Blk

Here's how to connect the wires to eachother. After properly attaching the ground wire to a good grounding place (if you don't understand this, read up on it), you can get your other wires connected. This is where you'll want to get your plug wire in through one hole of the electrical box and get your extension cable up into the other hole. (It's a box. I know, punch the hole out with a screwdriver. :bashhead:)

-Extension cord and socket: attach the white of the cord to the white of the socket. Attach the black of the cord to the black of the socket.
-Extension cord, plug cord and ignitor: attach the white of the extension cord to the white of the ignitor and the white of the plug cord.
-Extension cord, ballast and ignitor: attach the black of the cord to the red of the ballast and the red of the ignitor.
-Ballast and ignitor: attach the blue to the blue.
-Ballast and plug cord: attach the black of the ballast to the black of the plug cord.

Although my wiring is ugly, here's some pictures because they were requested:

I originally posted a wiring diagram but it was just confusing as the colors were not the same as this unit. (Thanks everyone!)

Screw the lamp into the socket.

Do a little dance of luck and joy.

Then it starts to look like a small sun:

Please let me know if there are any questions or corrections.

I will have a thread up soon on how to run this to a cool tube so look for that. (Edit: It's finished. You can see it here) You can check out the cabinet that this is going to be used in by visiting the link my thread.

Enjoy!

-Q :rasta:

Last edited:

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
You've really out done yourself Quazi. I'll mostly likely be a test dummy for this guide in the near future. Great work and many thanks!

ps: Your signature comment.. "the more you read - the better the weed" - I smile every time i read it :)

Fucking brilliance. When I'm not so sleepy I'm reading this slowly and smoking a fat J to you in respect. So neat, so clean, so doable. I must have thus for my little cab. Cheers.

Mr. Tony

Veteran
I never really considered these before. I was going to order a 150 or a 250 watt hps of HTg.

For two of these lights after shipping tax and what not it's on $64 fucking bucks. wow.

C

Cozy Amnesia

Awesome pictorial.

Also, the longer the extension cord the better. I underestimated how hot these ballasts get, and so you need to have it out of the room completely IMO.

Having it out of the grow box is going to be difficult. Are there ways to lightproof the hole in which the cord would extend out the box I am choosing?

ReeferDan

Nice job, when i did mine last year i kept the ballast enclosure and drilled a bunch of holes in it to use it as the ballast box, also i reused the base mount to use to mount to the roof of my cab.

Here are some pics.

You cant see the holes drilled in the tops of the ballast enclosures but they are there.

Quazi

Thanks for stopping by everyone! Glad you've enjoyed.
BigBlack81 said:
Having it out of the grow box is going to be difficult. Are there ways to lightproof the hole in which the cord would extend out the box I am choosing?
This can be done in a number of ways. Duct tape is just one of them. It really depends on your wiring setup. A lot of people (myself included) grow in cabinets that have an electrical room separate from their flowering chamber. Here are just a few things that you can use to seal it up:
-Caulk
-Rubber Stoppers - they sell little rubber stoppers specifically for this application; sealing in a cord.
-Gorilla Glue
-Tape
-etc.
ReeferDan said:
Nice job, when i did mine last year i kept the ballast enclosure and drilled a bunch of holes in it to use it as the ballast box, also i reused the base mount to use to mount to the roof of my cab.
Hey ReeferDan, thanks for stopping by! I've peeped your design at least a dozen times. I really wanted to go with your design because it was simple, sealed and didn't require additional parts. Unfortunately, I didn't have very much room to work with in my electrical room. As you know, those things are fairly large.

Thanks again everyone!

L

lostinethereal

Awesome thread man. It would take out any of the potential questions/problems I think any random dude whom decided to try this after following your thread could come across - bah what a mouth full. Absolutely great, wonderful work.

I was going to order a few of these boys after I got my fan and filter, now there's no reason to hesitate.

Rob547

East Coast Grower
Veteran
Thanks again Quazi. Great tutorial, although I still feel retarded cause it took me a while to figure it out, its the wiring diagram that always fucks me up, even the basic ones nevermind the ones electricians or whatnot would draw out...The wiring description really helped though. I need to see it in real life to really get it, visual learner. I wish you took a pic of the whole thing without the insane light on, but I think I can handle it hahaha. Just gotta figure out the cable length and I'll be in business!!

one quick question: If I'm running an extension cord (really cheap one) to a surge protector will that be ok to run the HPS off or should I be running it straight off the socket? Assuming watts are watts, it wouldn't be more than 400 watts or so from all the CFLs and 4 floro tubes.

Last edited:
Good shit man. I just wired up my Vapor Tight according to your instructions and it fired up perfectly. Doing a 15-min pre-burn before i shut it off. Thanks for the great instructions man.

Quazi

Rob547 said:
Thanks again Quazi. Great tutorial, although I still feel retarded cause it took me a while to figure it out, its the wiring diagram that always fucks me up, even the basic ones nevermind the ones electricians or whatnot would draw out...The wiring description really helped though. I need to see it in real life to really get it, visual learner. I wish you took a pic of the whole thing without the insane light on, but I think I can handle it hahaha. Just gotta figure out the cable length and I'll be in business!!

one quick question: If I'm running an extension cord (really cheap one) to a surge protector will that be ok to run the HPS off or should I be running it straight off the socket? Assuming watts are watts, it wouldn't be more than 400 watts or so from all the CFLs and 4 floro tubes.
Alright. Just for you, here's some pictures of the wiring itself. I didn't get very good ones. But, hopefully you (and other visual learners) will be able to get some help from them:

In regards to your question: it depends on how "cheap" the extension cord is. Considering how inexpensive extension cords are, I would consider getting a decent one if you are going to be running everything through it. It will be worth the peace of mind.

smoketrichs: Glad you liked it. Hopefully this guide will be all you need to get going. Thanks for stopping by!

ReeferDan

the wiring is pretty easy once you crack everything open and look at it.

Essentially all you are doing is "extending" the wires. So you could take the wires snip em in half and just take a piece of wire the same color and put it inbetween the two ends you cut off and its the same thing, just longer now.

Quazi, you're a champ, BTW. Just in case your ego isn't already blown to bits by this bit of genius but a question for you: besides a cool tube reflector, what other hoods would work with this setup? Any suggestions as to a thread?

I notice that with a long enough cord you could make the kind of hoods that the pros use but far cheaper.

Quazi

BigBlack81 said:
Quazi, you're a champ, BTW. Just in case your ego isn't already blown to bits by this bit of genius but a question for you: besides a cool tube reflector, what other hoods would work with this setup? Any suggestions as to a thread?

I notice that with a long enough cord you could make the kind of hoods that the pros use but far cheaper.
I will be posting a thread on my own DIY cool tube + reflector so you can get an idea of my suggestion. However, I would strongly suggest looking at other cabinets to get ideas on reflectors and/or cool tube designs. There are just too many to list here, but you can find them and take a look.

jdog12: thanks man. Can't wait to see what it produces.

Bedlam

yo lord quaz, sick guide, i just had a question about grounding wires. i know the third prong in a plug is the ground wire, but in this set up how would you ground a wire? thanks.