What's new

COCO 250W ("The Pure" & Chemdog IX1) Using H3AD's formula.

TheBEAK

The Beak is at it again!

Hello everyone, and welcome to my second grow diary.

I've previously done a diary on "The Pure" from Flying Dutchmen, and I'll be running clones from that grow together with some Chemdog IX1 clones I got from a friend.

Here's my previous grow diary
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=80356

The major difference between my last grow and this is, that I've decided to go coco. People are getting crazy results using coco, and I dont wanna miss out;)

So on with the show:

Strains
- Chemdog IX1 from Rez
- The Pure from Flying Dutchmen

Medium
Plagron Coco

Lights
I've rooted them under a 110W CFL, and that'll probably stay there for about a week. After that it's 250W MH for veg, and a 250W HPS for flowering.
(written sept 17)Because of heat vs noise issues, they have been vegged under a 110W cfl, but I've bought an inline fan(170 cfm) and an aircolled hood for flowering. So they will be flowered under 250W HPS.

Nutes

I will be using GH's 3 part nutes, and utilising H3AD's formula of 6ml Micro per gallon, and 9 ml Bloom per gallon.
I'm in europe, so that's 1,6ml micro per liter, and 2,4ml Bloom per liter.
1/2 strength for the first few days.

I've puchased an RO unit, and will be using straight RO & nutes @ ph 5.8.

Here's some pics of my setup:
I'm growing in a closet, which is 0,55m X 1,15m X 1,45m.

And finally the babies

Nice to be at it again:)

Last edited:

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Awesome!
Be sure to make sure the content of the nutrients is the same as the GH sold in the USA. I have heard there are different formulations in some of the GH nutes sold in europe.

TheBEAK

Grat3fulh3ad said:
Awesome!
Be sure to make sure the content of the nutrients is the same as the GH sold in the USA. I have heard there are different formulations in some of the GH nutes sold in europe.

Thx for stopping by H3AD, and thx for your work on the Lucas ratio:)

I actually ordered my Flora Micro from the US, so that should be in order. My Flora Bloom is European, but it has the 0-5-4 NPK numbers just like the US ones. I've read in your thread that the European ones were supposed to have 0-6-4. I guess mine must be the same as the US ones.

I've tested a cutting using your formula with my two bottles, and I kept feeding it for two weeks before discarding it. It looked absolutely beautiful, so I think my Bloom is the same as the US. Or else I just got lucky;)

D

DEDHEDFRED

Great luck wished on your upcoming venture Beak........I`ve got a side by side goin with Head`s formula and GH 3 part @ 1/2 strength that I`ve been runnin maybe yr and a half with slightly lower concentrations but killer results across the board........Can`t bring myself ta let "Go of the Grow"......I hope all goes well for yas Bro and keep up the good work...........Peace..........DHF.......... :joint: ........

Last edited:

THoC

Great to see a new grow going! I am interested in learning about coco so Im definitely keeping tabs on this grow.

Best of luck Beak!
cheers

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
whats up Beak!!!Glad to see you got ur next run goin strong, Ill be lurkin fo sho in here...Pullin up a seat..Peace bro, and nice avatar, by the way!!!!

- Z

TheBEAK

DEDHEDFRED said:
I`ve got a side by side goin with Head`s formula and GH 3 part @ 1/2 strength that I`ve been runnin maybe yr and a half with slightly lower concentrations but killer results across the board........

Welcome Fred:)
Throw some pictures in of those babies, I'd love to see what 1/2 strength H3AD formula looks like.

THoC said:
Great to see a new grow going! I am interested in learning about coco so Im definitely keeping tabs on this grow.

Best of luck Beak!
cheers

Thx THoC:)
The "H3AD goes coco" thread is a great place to start for some detailed info on how to feed your coco plants. This thread will (hopefully) show how a coco first-timer can grow with H3AD's formula.

ZeusOGrefugee said:
whats up Beak!!!Glad to see you got ur next run goin strong, Ill be lurkin fo sho in here...Pullin up a seat..Peace bro, and nice avatar, by the way!!!!

- Z

Always welcome Zeus, I've been lurkin over at your summer madness thread for a while now. Maybe it's time to stop bye and say hello:)
And yeah the Dylan pic is a classic, thx for noticing.

blackone said:
Subscribed! Are you gonna be handwatering them?

Thx for dropping in:)
Yes they will be handwatered with little to no runoff.
I'll water them daily, or every other day.

Last edited:

THoC

You mean your not Dylan?!! =0
Thanks for the heads up on Heads' thread.Since I have no grow going and I have down time I looking into some different approaches. Thanks!

How old are your clones? Is that The Pure mother with those clones? Are you going to setup a vegging box to keep her in?

TheBEAK

THoC said:
You mean your not Dylan?!! =0
Thanks for the heads up on Heads' thread.Since I have no grow going and I have down time I looking into some different approaches. Thanks!

How old are your clones? Is that The Pure mother with those clones? Are you going to setup a vegging box to keep her in?

You're welcome

Enjoy the coco, because I'll bet looking over at that coco sektion of the forum makes you wanna try it;)

The clones were taken 15 days ago, and were taken straight into coco. They started to root after 6-8 days. They're getting fed with 1/2 strengh H3AD's formula(3m/4,5b per gallon), and have been doing that the past 3 days. I've kept them away from the 110W while rooting, but they were taken closer yesterday. One of the ChemIX1 at the back is struggling at bit, dont know if it's the roots not grown enough yet, or if the nutes are scaring it, but I'll prob try moving the lights a little further away for a day or two, just to see if helps. I only need the top 6 out of the 10 clones, so I'll ditch 4 of them as soon as i see which ones are doing the best.

The motherplant behind it, is my Chemdog, which was donated to me by a gracious donor. I'll get rid of it, as soon as I see at least two of the Chemdogs making it, as I dont keep mothers when I'm veggin' or flowering. It's my first time running it, so I want to get at least 2 plants going.

I dont have a veg room right now, but I'll start up this little cab I've used for cloning in the past, when I take my cuts just before flowering.

Here's som shots of how they're doing

D

DEDHEDFRED

Hey Beaks.......I use GH 3 part 1/2 strength not 1/2 strength Head formula.........7.5 ml-5 ml- 2.5 ml/per gal. grow and the opposite for flower, a lil silicablast for stem strength and SM-90 for bugs and healthy rootzones......Be careful with your coco consistencies cuz if you`re keepin em wet and it`s like wet coffee grounds and mushy you`ll drown yer plants.......I use coir mixed 50/50 with chunks for way better aeration.......Take care Beaks and good luck.....DHF........... :joint: .........

Last edited:

TheBEAK

DEDHEDFRED said:
Hey Beaks.......I use GH 3 part 1/2 strength not 1/2 strength Head formula.........7.5 ml-5 ml- 2.5 ml/per gal. grow and the opposite for flower, a lil silicablast for stem strength and SM-90 for bugs and healthy rootzones......Be careful with your coco consistencies cuz if you`re keepin em wet and it`s like wet coffee grounds and mushy you`ll drown yer plants.......I use coir mixed 50/50 with chunks for way better aeration.......Take care Beaks and good luck.....DHF........... :joint: .........

Hi FRED

Oh I got it mixed up. So you have a side by side of H3AD's formula on the one hand, and some GH 3 part @ 1/2 strenght on the other?
Which ones are doing best in your opinion?

I'll be careful with the overwatering, but actually I'm about to take a trip for the weekend, and wont be back until sunday, so I have to keep them quite wet today and tomorrow, by letting them sit in some water in the runoff tray. Hopefully they wont react badly to the excess of water, but there's not much I can do. With plants this young in coco, I'll take overwatering instead of the risk of them drying out. But I'll be careful in the future.

TheBEAK

Little of this, little of that...

Well I'm back and so far the girls are telling me two things:

1)
The Pure's are doing great with lots of growth and they'll be ready to get pumped up to full H3AD formula.

2)
Two of my four Chemdog IX1's are struggleling with something. Could be Ca def, and it could be to that the mix is too strong/weak for it's taste.
Any input is appreciated:)

Here's some shots of the girls.
The 4 Chemdogs are in front, and the 6 Pure's are in the back.
The shots with the struggleling plants are Chemdogs.

Any ideas guys?

TheBEAK

Veg day 7

Well the Chemdogs are starting to pick up, and the pure's are growing very nicely.
I've started the pure's on full strength nutes, and I've given one of the Chemdogs full strength aswell, to see how it reacts, before I give it to the other 3.

And I've also started LST'ing them today.

Here's the pics

The roots sure like coco:)

That's all for now

blackone

Veteran
Yeah they're liking that coco for sure.
The yellow leaves on the 2 chems is something I see a lot when cloning - the largest original clone leaves often wilt after some time. Looks like all of the new growth on your plants is super healthy.

Last edited:

TheBEAK

Thx for the compliment 2stoge:)

blackone said:
Yeah they're liking that coco for sure.
The yellow leaves on the 2 chems is something I see a lot when cloning - the largest original clone leaves often wilt after some time. Looks like all of the new growth on your plants is super healthy.

Yeah I figured it might just be the natural usage of N in making roots that led to the yellowness, combined with the chems slower rooting(compared to the pure) which made the suffer a little under the "intense" lights of my 110W CFL.
And you're right about the new growth looking good, so I think the problem is gone :jump:

In other news, I've just ordered an aircooled hood, so I can get my 250W a little closer to the canopy than the last grow, and keep the heat in check aswell.

I'll repot into 2,2L pots as soon as I install the new hood, and the 250W bulb.

See ya :rasta:

THoC

Hey Beak

Your grow seems to be coming along nicely. How long are you planning on vegging these plants this time around? Your closet might get real crowded!!! :)

Ive seen that yellowing too on clones ( just as blackone said ) BTW. I always wonder if its over watering when I see it but the new growth comes along and everything works out fine.

Congrats on the new hood. Are you going to hook up a separate vent system for it or pipe it through your exsisting one with the filter? This grow should be quite stinky!! :rasta:

be good bro

TheBEAK

THoC said:
Hey Beak

Your grow seems to be coming along nicely. How long are you planning on vegging these plants this time around? Your closet might get real crowded!!! :)

Ive seen that yellowing too on clones ( just as blackone said ) BTW. I always wonder if its over watering when I see it but the new growth comes along and everything works out fine.

Congrats on the new hood. Are you going to hook up a separate vent system for it or pipe it through your exsisting one with the filter? This grow should be quite stinky!! :rasta:

be good bro

Hey THoC:)
I'll be veggin them about 25-30 days, but I'll prob only keep the 6 best looking clones, and 6 plants in 11L pots fits my cab perfectly.

About the hood:
I'll prob hook it up to the existing vent system which is driven by a 110cfm pc-fan(silverstone) thats hooked straight on to the filter. I'll then add a second 110cfm fan closer to the hood, so it can help blow some air through it.

So thats:

Filter > fan > Short duct > another fan > Air hood > Short duct > Out

Some day I'll buy a 175 cfm inline fan, but for now this will do.
The filter is very effecient, so I'm not expecting any odour problems, but this is the filters third grow, so maybe I'll have to replace it when flowering comes.

TheBEAK

Veg day 12

Everythings going smooth, the plants are loving the formula, and with the RO system, watering is so easy. Just put in the 4ml nutes pr. l, and the ph automaticly hits 5.8-6.0. I dont even need a meter anymore, but I'll check it once a week just to make sure nothing's changed.
The chem's are still trailing behind the pure's, but I'll just keep training the pures, so they'll all end up the same height anyway. The chem's are also being trained, but there's not too much branching going on them yet.

Here's some pics from today:

I train them about every other day, and I've trained them today, so I thought I'd snap a shot of them right after the bend.