What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I think I have a Virus

D

Darkstarlive

I think this might be TMV( Tomato Mosaic Virus).
At first I thought I had a mutant plant then it began to spread. I fear I may have to ditch everything and start from scratch...AARRRGGGHHH!!!

BTW, these are Rez's Chemdog Bx1, Bx2, beta Bx1 and Snowdog Bx1 as well as a few other strains.

What do you think?
Peace..

W

Wannabreed

HI, i had same thing (pic 2 3 4 5) but restricted on 1 leave, didnt saw it again.

D

Darkstarlive

I think I have a Virus

Well, this was supposed to be a happy thread about my Chemdog Beta Bx1, Chemdog Bx1, Bx2 and Snowdog Bx1 and some other goodies but I think I have a virus thats spreading and I may be forced to scrap the entire garden to rid myself of this thing. I think it might be TMV (Tomato Mosaic Virus) at first I thought I had a mutant plant but then It began to spread, take a look tell me what you think.

It starts out looking like this:

then progresses:

I wish there were a way to save everything but it don't look good.

Peace..

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
is that anything like TOBACCO mosaic virus...?

u a cigarette smoker?

just curious. if im off ignore me. ill be sitting in the corner with my face to the wall and my bowl packed.

:joint:

also.....
why would you scrap it all?
dont look THAT bad to me. nothing itll outgrow fine.
imo, anyways. ive seen that before and plants outgrow it.
BUT.... im judging from pics...

does this progress up/down the main stem to other branches/leafs?
reefs diesel kush did sum funky stuff like that to me and it rocked the house.

one vote for stick with it.

Last edited:

Cyklon

Maybe you should try a microculture of the meristems from each plant with a preceded heat treatment. Do you have any idea how you got the potential virus? Mites, thrips, etc? If all your plants got it, it must have spread with the help of some kind of vector or infected plant-sap.

Hope it works out for ya. Take care mate.

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
im not 100% sure, but the twisty, 1/2 discolored fans are from too much P or K.
not sure which one, ive seen it b4.
im sure mynameisstitch will confirm if you post in the infirmary.
ive had this happen to me b4.
never spread to other plants.

come to think of it, it happened to my chem bx1 as well.
strange coincidence? or supernatural phenomenon?
they grew out of it.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mist the plants lightly with water and see if there's any webbing from mites....

G

that's very interesting i grow in soil and had 2 plants that looked good just died like that just keep getting worse and worse .is their any thing you can feed the plant to get rid of the Virus like in man if you get a virus get a shot of pinasilin. but for plants.
good luck DAN

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
there is no treatment for a virus, plant or human. Penicillin and other antibiotics are for killing bacterial infections....

That said, I have yet to see a true virus here on a pot plant.

What it looks like is happening is either the start of overfeeding with those yellowing blotches and crispy edge or the start of some light bleaching.

Please fill out the form in Stitch's sick plant sticky and we can help better and nail it down.

How big is the light and how close is it? Every bulb has a hot spot directly under it and plants there can bleach.

If bulb distance is good then you need to back off your nute dosage...

Also check and confirm your ph is correct. Everything starts there......

moonunit

I have seen the same prob m8, its not tmv either, been through that nightmare. Tmv in cannabis shows severe leaf blistering and deformaties, till the new growth ends up looking like a fern ( supper skinny twisted leaves, loads of leaf blisters).
I have been trying to diagnose this one myself, and the best i have come up with is its rarer form of scariad fly ( fungus gnat ) damage, done by the adults. In every example of these symptoms i have found adult scariad fly. My theory, and at this point its just that, is that certain plants attract the adult sc flies, and in some cases the feed on the newest growth tip of the plant. Look at the damage on your plants, it almost looks like the top layer of the leaf on one side was chewed off when it was only new and tiny, hence causing the leaf to grow with a turn in it ( half of the leaf grows normal , other half stunted). Mind u this is just a theory. I have how ever seen this symptom in plants with no over or under feed issues. The fly could also be transportation vector for some other virus, but i highly doubt it is, and definately can say it isnt tmv.
Much respect
Moonunit

inflorescence

Veteran
HeadyPete said:
That said, I have yet to see a true virus here on a pot plant.

Word. Viruses are about the rarest infliction there are. It always suprises me that people always seem to want to jump to the rarest cause when they don't bother to hammer thru all the other zillion more probable more common causes.

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It looks nutrient related... although it is hard to tell in those photos.

The leaf-tips are burnt (slightly) which indicates over-feeding.

- Has the overall health of the plant/s deteriorated over the past 4 days ?
- Which medium are you growing in?
- What EC level are you feeding?

All the best..

D

Darkstarlive

I grow in Promix (Peat w/perlite and dolomite lime, wetting agent)
the overall health has been good for the last 4 days
My EC at 4 weeks of flower is 2.0 (1400 ppm)

I belive it may be viral because I've been fighting a mite problem, no not, I repeat NOT A SPIDERMITE problem, its some sort of mite that lives in the soil it only stays on the outside of the container and around the lip. They are super tiny white mites that I have even found in the trash cans that I use to store my Promix after busting up a bale, I think they are feeding on the dust from the peat. I inspect the plants, leaves and stems regularly and I have not found any mites or eggs or webbs on my plants but they could carry virus' and bacteria into my soil.

Peace...

G

This is most likely not a virus, however if it is isolate infected plants. (Destroy them)
You could cut 1-3 cm. around infected areas and isolating infected plants.
This looks more along the lines of what cocktail frank said.

Mister Postman

The Plant Pervert
Veteran
Hmmm, I've seen these symptoms before myself when I did my last organic coco run.. It seemed to start at one side of the fan leaf, and worked it's way to the other fingers of the leaf one by one affecting 1 side of each blade more then the other causing them to hook sideways.

I'm not an expert but I believed it to be caused by nutrient ratios being off. In my case specifically to much potassium in the medium which I thought was messing with the uptake, and utilization of calcium. Like I said i could be wrong, I'm no expert, but it's something I'd look into before scrapping the whole garden as mine turned around and finished up nicely. I would heed cocktails advice and ask mynamestich for some help in figuring this one out. She's got skills when it comes to sick plants and figuring ailments out.

Last edited:

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Positively a virus, I have been fighting the same thing in a plant for about 20 years. It usually only affects a few leaves but if it gets into the growing tip it has to be topped. The first picture doesn't belong here, it not the same.

VenturaHwy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
All of Darkstarlive's picture except the first are a virus, and Wannabreed's is also. I have had a plant susceptible to this for 20 years and other plants also get it. I'm looking for a cure. . .