What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The GrindHouse Outdoors 2008

Ickis

Veteran
I have been busy getting ready for the 2008 outdoor season. I have been growing outside since the 1970s so I have been around the block my fair share of times. I am in the NE USA at 40.5 N. I expect to be harvesting everything I put out in October sometime. Among the many things I am growing is a fine selection of gear from The GrindHouse. I have Sour Bubble, Prophet (Bubba Kush x Blue Sonja) and Blue Sonja.

I germed 4 seeds of Sour Bubble and got 3 females and I germed 4 seeds of prophet and got 2 females. I still have some Sour Bubble seeds that I will do an indoor seed run with later. I didn't keep the prophet males either because I have the pre 98 BK cut and I expect some males from the Blue Sonja seedlings which I am going to do a seed run with outdoors. I figured I would just put a couple pre 98 BK and katsu BK clones in the Blue Sonja patch and I will have Prophet seeds (sorta). Plus I will keep clones of the 2 Prophet females I have in case they attain "must keep" status.

I have 20 clones from each SB female and 50 clones from each Prophet female. I also have 9 seedlings from 10 Blue Sonja seeds. Two of them have revealed to be females. I am waiting on the other 7. I want to have 4-5 females. I would take a 6 females and 3 males mix. That way I can have 3 males and 3 females in the seed patch and 3 females for some seedless.

Once the Blue Sonja have been outside and veg a spell I will take cutting from the females around July 15. They will be rooted and placed outside in early August for some late season action and extra Blue Sonja nuggets. I will also keep 1 clone from each female Blue Sonja to have as a mom when the best ones show themselves at harvest.

I plant in the ground in natural soils but do add things I think are needed depending on locations. I utilize every kind of location. Mostly open areas along tiny brooks and stream that don't have any fishing pressure because they are chubb (trash fish) infested and not stocked. I also like open areas on mountains, state game lands, abandoned RR tracks, along rivers where there are fast dangerous rapids (people don't notice stuff when they are about to drown). I also do some cornfield action...but that can be a real crap shoot.

I fence every plant I put out except the ones in cornfields. I hate critters stealing stuff. I also utilize osmocote fetilizer. I do hit some plants with some extra stuff in the couple spots I allow myself to visit just to diva a few. Most spots I only visit to plant and harvest with 1 midway visit for some bug control and whatever care. Obviously if there is a biblical storm or something freaky I do go just to see if all is OK and make repairs.

I hesitated to do an outdoor thread because updates and pictures can be tricky. I think with all my spots though I can pull off a decent show.

I will start off with some pictures of my Prophet. One is female A and the other female B. I have 50 clones (16 ounce cups) of each ready to go outside.

I will show the Blue Sonja next time I post.

Last edited:
G

guest3854

Nicely detailed start fer your thread . I'm lookin' forward to seein' more . Appears that you have a schedule that'll work great fer yas . Thoughtfully planned outdoor locations ...

Killer killer . I'm hoping fer a great out door year for yas .
Be well friend ,
Steele

Ickis

Veteran
Hello Harry. Thanks for looking at this.

Here are the pics of the Blue Sonja. The only 3 to show have all been females so far. They go out tomorrow morning.

I have planted all 60 SB clones and all 100 Prophet clones. Monday night around 1am to 4am I planted 2 banana boxes of clones wrapped in newspaper. Then last night I did the other 2 boxes. It is a pain to unwrap them at night but having the wet newspaper to mulch around the base on the fround is great to give them a start. It keeps them from drying out to fast. Plus it rained some each night. I like planting in and around the rain when I can.

here is a pic of some clones that go out tonight. These are G-13 x SD ibl but they are done just like my GrindHouse clones were.

It is also a good way if somebody comes or something disrupts you at your spot. These can be hidden in the weeds and be just fine for days even a week even if it is hot and dry. Just tuck them in the weeds in the shade and come back when you can safely finish.

Last edited:
G

Guyute54

Hey buddy. Looks awsome. Those couldn't look healthier. will be watching this thread for sure. Camping out for awhile to try and get a few packs of grindhouses gear tonight. Wish you the best this season. Lets grow them coyote style :muahaha:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very cool Ickis, looking forward to following this thread.

Do you wrap the plants in dry newspaper and wet it down? or do you wrap them in wet newspaper? How wet is the newspaper?

Ickis

Veteran
Hey guyute I was watching for GrindHouse seeds last night off and on too. Maybe today.

Hello Blynx! I wet the paper so it gets wet everywhere. I pour a glass of water in the middle of 2 open sheets and spread it with my hands. Wetter is better than drier. I used this method because I had so many clones to transport and plant.

Last night went well. There was one scary moment when I was in the middle of a cornfield when a big ole farm dog snuck up on me from behind and started sniffing the back of my head while I was planting. It was real friendly but it could have been ugly. Note to self...take some milk bones.

Last edited:

Hindu Killer

Veteran
Here you are....and your already putting them in the fields. Shouldnt be much longer for me. I assume your corn is knee high then?? Ive got 70 sour bubble bx3 f2's going in to a bean field soon!

Ickis

Veteran
The ones I planted were about knee-high hindu. I only planted the fields that the corn was taller and I saw them spray the second round of weed killer on. They started the second spraying last Friday..that I saw.

Mole said his SB that he got from BOG himself only ever got about 3 feet tall or less outside so they should work well in the beans. There are soybeans growing in fields around here that are a good 2.5 feet tall now. SB could hide easily.

I just started here Hindu because I have some GrindHouse stuff and Steele was interested in an outdoor grow. I got some stuff to spring on the regular gang.

Ickis

Veteran
I didn't get the Blue Sonja planted until this morning. I was on my way to the spot and realized it was Friday 13th. It seemed like a bad idea all the sudden but everything went without a hitch.

The wildflowers were really nice along the stream bank. There were a bunch of ducks everywhere. Because I was up to illegal activities whenever a frog jumped in the water or a duck splashed it made me jump out of my shoes.

They are all fenced and staked. I like to take extra stakes (green bamboo) and sharpen the ends and criss cross a few so the points come out on angles at the top of the fence and cross inside so an animal can't stick their head in and if they come close they get poked.

All the GrindHouse stuff is planted. The hardest part is done. Digging holes and putting up fences can be a chore.

I will be able to check kinda regularly where the Blue Sonja is planted. The stream leaves no trail. I will take the camera when I go next time. I am planting some different things further up the stream. When the corn is as tall as me, usually around July 4th to 10th I will be able to get some pics of some tasty looking Sour Bubble and Prophet plants.

Last edited:

Ickis

Veteran
Here are pics of some of the Blue Sonja seedlings I put outside 3 weeks ago.

They have more than doubled in height and are now around 24 to 30 inches tall. I think the leaves have taken on a more sativa appearance now. I have an old camera so the color is by no means perfect. They are all nice and green but not as dark indica green like they were before. My camera is old and the color isn't always accurate but pic #3 is right on.

The newspaper mulch held down with weeds has really been good at keeping the soil moist and preventing any weed growth in the plot. The newspaper I wrapped them in also doubles as the mulch. I like multi use item to use in an outdoor grow.

Here is one of the SourBubble that I am doing in a bag of MG potting soil. No hole digging. Just a large bag of MG soil spray paonted green with holes in the bottom for drainage and an X cut in the top with the plant in the center. This plant is doing very well. It's about 2 feet tall and very brancy with huge lush leaves. All the SB look the same and they all seem to love the bags.

G

guest3854

Lookin killer Ickis , hella appreciate tha update . Looks like they took well to yer transplanting , nice an' well established . Tha Sonja's will shoot up so be prepared to deal with 'em , they look like our typical Sonja though , nice elongated fingers . And complete with burgundy stems ... I look forward to seeing how they progress fer yas throughout tha year .

Be well ,
Steele

Ickis

Veteran
Thanks for checking in Steele. I think more people will start popping in when they see how this grow is really gaining momentum. In fact I think it may end up being the largest harvest of GrindHouse genetics ever.

I started out with 20 SourBubble and 18 are fine still and way past the "tender young deer/rabbit snack" phase so will probably make it to harvest. I have all 8 Blue Sonja fenced and happy. I have 50 Prophet A and 50 Prophet B and haven't lost even one of them. They all look just like the ones I have pictured today. They are 3.5 to 5 feet tall already and just as wide with so many freaking tops it is freakin me out. These are going to push 2 pounds a plant. Easy OPOP. Especially now that I bent the surrounding corn leaves to let in even more light. bending leaves works just fine and the corn plant still lives and produces corn.

The Blue Sonja can get as tall and as big as they want Steele. The bigger the better. There will be some OPOP BS and maybe 2 pounders if they stretch like you say. Outdoors they get 2 to 3 months of vegging under the sun in addition to what they had inside before going out.

Nobody is ever gonna find these. And if they did they would find them even if they were small. A bear trail goes to them. Complete with bear shit and hideous underbrush. I am on the backside of a field with no trail in from the front for anybody to see me way in. The area they are in is an off limit State Forrest area. Off Limits to anybody but a pot grower.

Enjoy people!

These are some of the clones of the 2 female Prophets I had...Plant A and Plant B. The 2 moms are absolutely huge at 5-6 feet. I will get some pics of them in the thread eventually. I can only go there at night right now. Soon I will will make a daylight run so I can use the camera.

I do have a green thumb but we all know it's what's in the genetics. These are super nice plants Steele. Great job! Get the beans fellow growers and you can do this too.

Last edited:

Smoke68

Wow Ickis, when you go outdoors, you brind the funk too! lol
Cornfield growing at it's best!
So how do you plant them? Is it all in one general area, individually spread out, or are they in clusters spread out?
I drool in anticipation for the next update of these green beauties!

Ickis

Veteran
Hey flava sorry I didn't say welcome before. I actually thought I did. LOL! Stoned again! Thank you for checking out this grow. Not that many people pop in here and I end up not giving one of them a shout back.

Stick around and peek in once in a while because this is going to be a decent grow. If it works out there will be quite a few Blue Sonja BX2 seeds. What would they be called Steele? Blue Sonja BX2 F-2s?

Really glad you stopped in Smoke. I am really excited and anxious to be growing these creations by GrindHouse. Especially these Blue Sonja.

To answer your planting question.....I have unlimited cornfields at my disposal. I normally keep to 10 or less per cornfield which isn't very many for a big cornfield. Now some are small like 3 times the size of a football field and some are big in the 100 to 800 acre range. In the real big ones I put in 3 groups of 10. I plant 2 in a row and then move diagonal 2 and plant2 and mix them up so it looks unplanned if seen from the air. Sometimes there are huge burdock bushes which dwarf most pot plants so after I do a zig zag patch then I do 3 in a circle to mimick big bushes then I do another zig zag patch. If I just put 10 in 100 acre field than I do a row of 5 or 10 near the edge maybe 20 rows in. I make sure they are on the side that gets first sun in the morning and there are trees behind them and the sun just 20 rows away. The choppers have a hard time seeing them near trees. They have to be up over and can't look back like they can in the middle.

I do more plants off the sides of little streams. You can walk in them and not leave a trail to the normal person. Then just get to the top of the bank and in little fields and open patches. There are more critter problems in these locales though.

what up Ickis nice grow ya got going. should have a great harvest. the sonja's and SB looking great. got 2 SB going myself, think i got lucky and both are females. keep up the good job and keep us posted.. Rounders

Ickis

Veteran
Steele I have read your threads and my understanding is there are several phenos in the SB BX1 IX1. Is the basic hope of anyone buying yours or BOG's SB seeds that they will find a female that is the same or comes close to the Bubba Kush clones pre 98 or Katsu? Or is there something better to be found?

I didn't have any Bubba Kush clones when I got these and that is what I was looking for. Something comparable to the Bubba everyone talked about. That is why I was so happy to get the Prophet seeds with my winning bid on SB and BS.

It's the same reason I wanted the Chemdog D x Afghani by Hip Cat...to find a Chemdog D pheno and the G13/Skunk by Mr. Nice to find a G13 pheno.

If somebody had a pre 98 Bubba Kush clone would they be looking at SourBubble?

I didn't take pics but I went and took some cuts off the Prophet moms. I kid you not that they are 6 feet tall and have really widened out too. These are without a doubt going to be OPOP and more.

G

guest3854

Ickis , yes no doubt tha Bubba pheno is killer , very similar to tha parent , however our preferred pheno is tha DMT . It's on tha fluffier side , with a stickier resin profile and DANK chemical , bubble gum aroma . (I believe that tha '98 was used)
Tha Prophet will no doubt surprise some growers , not only are you gonna get a taller plant but your yield is gonna go through tha roof in comparison to tha Bubba . Sonja REALLY adds weight to these low yielders by providing tha height needed to produce .
Tha cuts we recieved and ran of tha pre-Prophet showed mad promise . My experience of tha 2 phenos we ran were both more Sonja dominant . And that's a good thang , plenty of head to tha high & yield as stated , has gone through tha roof , tripling . Here's acouple side shoot shots , tha colas were pretty gnarly lookin and not very photogenic . Smoked great just not pretty , you know how Bubba can get . Any how . here's acouple pics of tha side nugs , very Bubba like , but you know it aint full on ....

Can't wait to see some updates bru , doin pretty well fer not being able to get to 'em very often .
Be well ,
Steele