What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

window AC box.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
tiny ass 5200 BTU unit. but its more then enough for my veg/mother room.

test fiting.

6" exhaust. i had originaly put in a 4" with a 200cfm inline, it turned out to be not enough, so i got a 600cfm axial fan(66$)its about 9 inches wide.

test fit

more test fiting

foam...extra large makes a tight fit.

its going to be close

tight squeez

still need more.

fairly good throughput

great fit.

caulking to make it airtight.

fun project.
:wave:

irconfused

Looks like somebody needs to invest in a hole saw haha.

Thats an awesome idea for a budget ac setup, I'll definitely be staying tuned to see how this turns out. Now you've got me thinking of getting one and tearing it up for a super cheap ac setup with remote condenser, though I have a feeling this will end in freon blasting me in the face....

Good luck finishing everything up, though it looks like you have everything in order.

hey dude i made a box for my ac also, i find that if you use a powerful blower/inline fan in the exuast line there is no need for a intake fan. Just make sure your intake comes from a cool air source or outside of the growspace, then the exuast would suck that cold air through the air conditionaire.

G

That is looking real nice. I am going to be building one of these over the weekend, I think.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
irconfused said:
Looks like somebody needs to invest in a hole saw haha.

haha yea!!! i didnt want to buy a jigsaw for 2 or 3 cuts....
ill round it out with this hand saw i have, sucks but itll work.

i got one of these for it.

http://www.drillspot.com/products/50819/Dayton_4WT44A_Round_AC_Axial_Fan

should be here next week. i cant wait.

im suprised how much heat this thing puts out for only 535 W. i had a 4" inline S&P fan but it kept thermaly triggering itself off. (had it pulling the hot out)

G

How many CFMs is this 4" inline S&P fan? Would a 6" 430CFM inline fan work?

Thanks

Vbp6us - I'm also curious about the S&P's. Looks like the 4"TD-100 is 97/101 cfm, 4"TD-100x is 100/135 cfm with 104 degree max op temp (can you defeat this?).
The 6"TD-150 is 218/293 cfm with a 140 degree max op temp.
8"TD-200 is 476/538 cfm @140 degree

G

Well I just want to know if my 435cfm inline will be able to handle this. :)

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Vbp6us said:
Well I just want to know if my 435cfm inline will be able to handle this. :)
maybe, my sugestion would be to make the bac of the box bigger.

here she is all buttned up.

any sugestions on cleaning the hose would be nice.

this fan i just bought i got it shipped and delivered next day, i literaly bought it at 8pm and next day at like 11am some guy is at my door.
drillspot.com for you so cal ppl
its 666cfm and the back of my box is barly warm to the touch.

how many btu is your ac VBP6us ??
ive got a 6" its 312 or so cfm, and this 4" is like 150cfm i though...i dont remember

Hey digital i can't help but to notice, does work really well? It seems like there's a intake and then exuast from the left side to the right side or vice versa correct?

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
wafflehouselove said:
Hey digital i can't help but to notice, does work really well? It seems like there's a intake and then exuast from the left side to the right side or vice versa correct?
thanks!
i cant tell you how happy i am with this fan i bet it can cool very large AC units, the box dosent even feel hot...

air flows very well through this, especialy the way the a/c is made the slats on the side allow air to really flow.

green_tea

after all the math it comes down to having to move ~ 200 CFM per 10000BTU's of cooling.

AS IN youd have to have a 200CFM fan pulling or pushing air through the box you made for the side that normally goes outside. (for a 10kBTU AC)

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
green_tea said:
after all the math it comes down to having to move ~ 200 CFM per 10000BTU's of cooling.

AS IN youd have to have a 200CFM fan pulling or pushing air through the box you made for the side that normally goes outside. (for a 10kBTU AC)
whaaattt???
i had a 200cfm fan on there, it wasnt nearly good enough, infact the a/c kept thermaly triggering (turned off)maybe i did somthing wrong... i didnt want to have to get this hardcore...

G

green_tea said:

Interesting. I would like to share the exhaust between the AC and the reflector via a "T". So a 430cfm fan would work? :nono:

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Common Sensi said:
you need to have the air for the a/c coming in from the sides and out the back. that is how it was designed to work. you are having airflow problems with your current design. the air is not flowing properly through the cooling fins of the condensor and all that super hot air is over heating the a/c causing the thermal shutdown. take your box and cut a square hole out the back that matches the size of the a/c exactly. you are trying to isolate the back venting area of the a/c from the sides where the air enters the a/c to cool it. then hook up your exhaust ducting. make sure to use 10" or 12" ducting if you have a long run to do. how long is long? don't know. this is where the trail and error and system test runs come into play. you do not want lots of back pressure. remember it is a window a/c it was designed to be hanging out of a window with no back pressure at all. so you may have to use that 200 cfm fan to boost air flow.

nice room though keep it up.

im happy with this a/c now, but im thinking of doing this with a bigger unit... do you think if i had the hole in the bottom middle and the exhaust on the top middle itll work better, i though that might be the issue, the integrated fan pushes out... so yea, probably alot of turbulance...

retro... its too warm i think for water, the condinsation is on the inside... it has a collection tray.. it might be too small... i didnt think about that...but none as of yet, knock on wood.

was also thinking about bubbleing out the back like a bay window to make a 'channel' for air...top view _/-\_
|___|

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts