What's new

Phatty's 2nd Try DWC -Sour Diesel, Mango, MS-

phattybudz

So this is my 2nd attempt at recirculating DWC...6 babies... 600wHPS for flowering. I will be super appreciative for any advice/criticism!

These are 2 week old sour diesel, multiple sclerosis, and mango... they are not 100% healthy, I gave a close-up shot of the def. or maybe nute burn on the ms, anybody know what that is?

Letting tap water sit 24 hours then mixing up the lucas formula, getting some better flourescents (2 500W equivalent floros,) and throwing them into 18/6 in a day or two (They're on 20/4 now.)

Here are the pics:

phattybudz

Ok, so I tossed in the lucas formula ph 5.8 water (1 inch above bottom of netpots,) and also gave them some water topside, I think I may have given one or two of them a little too much because some leaves are drooping, does this look like overwatering?

phattybudz

I just put in these 105W (500W equivalent) fluoros... does the lighting positioning look ok? The closest plant to a light is like 5'' away...I heard 4'' was the closest you could get w/fluoros.

The droopy leaves I was worried about picked up overnight... awesome, must have been overwatered just a bit.

K

kiwi_growa

im not sure how hot ur floros get. but when i was growing with them they only got luke warm. i could have them within an inch to the tops of the plants without burn. as long as u have effective ventilation or the heat will start to build up. just keep an eye on the plants if u have the light that close because they can catch up very fast.

phattybudz

Cool thanks Kiwi, I moved them a bit closer. I'm going to change to 18/6 tonight... 3 things I'm worried about:

1.) Some light green on newer growth (the reason my last plants died is possibly due to hydrohut syndrome, I'm hoping it was something else...I didn't have the vortex turned on for the first day, and it seems to have stopped but I'm quite worried...

2.) How do I know when the roots are developed enough to drop the water level?

3.) My water temp gets up to 74... too hot?

clowntown

Veteran
T12's run so cool that you can have leaves resting on it or otherwise touching it all day w/o problems (except for the very end of the tube, which does get a bit warm).

T8's you can get them very close w/o problems.

T5's I've found you can get as close as 1cm / 0.5" w/o problems. Getting this close isn't recommended since the plant can easily grow into the tube and get burnt while you're away.

T4's (most spiral CFLs) seem to be the same story, although I generally keep them roughly 2 inches away to gain the best footprint / distance.

phattybudz

Took down the Hydrohut. Here is how the worst yellowing looks, they're in my closet under 210W fluorescent light... I'm just going to hand water since I can't fit my rez and controller in there. I'm not sure how much to hand water.

Thanks for the help so far guys.

My Jardin DR will get here this week hopefully, I will post after I've got that baby up, and on whether or not this yellowing goes away in the closet!

phattybudz

Well for the most part the plants seem to be recovering, there is no new yellow and a very small portion of it seems to be getting it's color back, but growth seems really slow, and the one that was drooping is drooping even worse -- which makes me think it's underwatered? I moved aside some hydroton to feel the rockwool, and it feels dry.

Can someone tell me how much I should water these babies? I don't want to over do it...

Phatty man give that plant a drink, water it every day if you can, Have you got drain holes in the bottom of the pots? When you water them make sure there is not to much water left in the bottom if you can. Try not to let them dry out as it will start to damage the roots and in turn the plant.
PH adjusted mild nutes and they should take off.
Good luck and happy watering!
HF

phattybudz

Yeah I've got drain holes, I can empty it out after I water... I'm only hand-watering until wednesday hopefully when I get my dark room up...

What I meant though, was how much water to use?

I just used 1 cup of water per each plant, even though the one in the picture above is the only one that seems like it REALLY needed it..

phattybudz

Took me 2 hours to switch from the closet to my DarkRoom today!

I thought the darkroom seemed really flimsy at first, but I definitely like it better than the hydrohut.. way more reflective and the ventilation is better.

The ladies aren't doing amazing, but they definitely survived the hydrohut, and will hopefully come back strong.

Current Conditions: 75F air temp, 75F water temp (I'm probably going to have to do something about this, but if I toss in a gallon of frozen water, the water goes down to 60F is that ok? RH = 47% ph = 5.74 (trying to keep it between 5.8-6.2)
PPM = 800

I'm using the ppm range from blazeoneup's dwc tutorial, but I don't know if these babies are in "early" or "middle veg," I guess I'll find out if nute burn occurs...

phattybudz

Well they're not flourishing in the system... I'm getting some droopage, and they seem to be stunted. I think it's possibly due to a few things:
1. the water was too high (was an inch above bottom of netpots, now I have it just at the bottom)
2. gnats? I'm gonna get gnatrol monday.
3. Temp fluctuation: water got as hot as 78, air ranged from 63-85... Not sure how to correct this since I can't afford a water chiller. If I toss in a frozen gallon of water the temp will be about 60, is that better than having it higher?
Also someone said they used hydroguard with warmer water (78F) and they didn't have problems, so I'm thinking about doing that.

On the plus side, the yellowing is no longer a problem.

G

Good choice with the WaterFarm. Ive heard nothing but good things so far, ive even been considering trying it myself. I was gonna do a recirculating DWC run but I fear running into too many problems, as its my first hydro run anyways.

I'll be pullin up a seat for this one def. Keep us updated mang

phattybudz

Alright, tossed in Hydroguard and Gnat killer. Hooked up drippers...they're going 15 mins every 3 hours.

I'm thinking about how big I want these to be before I flower them; At most, I think they can be about 3.5 feet, because they're 22 in off the ground on top of crates, My light will take up about 1 foot at the top of the hut, and the hut is 6.5 feet.

They should double once I put them into flower right? So I should switch to flower when they're 1.75 feet?

Here's how they're looking now:

So 2 have droopy leaves, and some leaves are taco-ing... I backed the lights up a bit, thinking the taco-ing might have been heat... and I was told by Berry to toss on the drippers for the droopyness.

Last edited:

phattybudz

evil hydrohut killed my 1st run... I'm most worried about water temp for these ones... Wish I could afford a nice chiller!

phattybudz

Ok, I've got my room/rez conditions under control with a 6 inch fan blowing on the rez, but now I've got to top off/ph down more frequently. I guess I'm ok with that. But I've still got these issues..! The droopiness hasn't gone away, but it's only been a day since I turned off the drippers and took the water level to an inch below, so I'm hoping they just need time to dry out (assuming they are in fact over-watered.)

Also, some leaves are taco-ing on one plant in particular, and a little on the one next to it. Here are new pics of the droopers and my taco leaves...hyelp!

phattybudz

Hey, Is it ok if my ph drifts up to 6.2 before I correct it? I'm assuming so...(the highest its been is 6.1 but I'd like to be able to let it go until later if possible)

Last edited:

phattybudz

I just realized I ghetto-rigged this from the start. I followed blazeoneup's tutorial except I have no feed lines... so it's not actually recirculating, the pump is just running from the controller to the rez... I'm not sure if this is causing my problems, but it sure isn't helping the growth I'll bet.

Gonna go buy 5 1/2 in. elbows, 1 1/2 grommet, 6 1/4 in. barbed elbows and 6 straights, 11 ft of 1/2 in. tubing and 6 ft of 1/4 in. tubing, and borrow a drill. The only thing is... everything is already in the system, so I'm going to have to drain it, and have a friend help me lift the buckets while I drill holes into them...

haha, god damnit. I'm gonna fix this, and I'm gonna buy a water chiller, and this shit is going to be off the hook. Could that be causing those issues though?