What's new

Germination Technique....

G

The reason I do this is because it seems to make the seeds germinate during a shorter time period.

The thing???

I soak my seeds for 12 hours in water.

then with tweezers. grab the side of the seed and apply some pressure until they pop open. done using reading glasses(3x magnification) ...

This seems to allow them to hydrate better and to exend their taproot within a shorter window. no longer do I wait several days to see if they germinate.

I have been doing this with all my seeds the last couple years.
It is a tech that needs some practice.

and its probably not for everyone.

If you want to try it.

almost everyone has a bunch of crappy seeds lieing about getting older.

try this with a few as an experiment.

germinate some normally and use tweezers to pop open a few

I originally did this for old seeds. Where I thought I might increase germination in weak seeds that could no longer pop a very strong seed shell...

now I do it to all my seeds. just so they will germinate at nearly the same time.

MOst when they pop open will click or pop with a clearly audible sound.

Others you have to visually see they have popped open.

One caveat..... its possible with too much pressure from the tweezers... to squish the seed like an ant under a SUV.... some practice is required....

Last edited:

m@rg

go on .. pull my finger
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive had some seeds soaking in water now for 24hrs +,still not cracked, so ive took ur advise and popped half of them with tweezers
....will let u know how it goes , seeds are over 7 yrs old
:joint:

G

Thanks for the info dr hooks, let us know if they work [email protected] havve some old seeds and 4 seeds of brothers grimm c99...i want to make sure all 4 c99 pop...ill practice first on the old seeds i have first and see what happens...Jimi

m@rg

go on .. pull my finger
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Dr Hooks respect + and thanks it worked a treat ,4 days later they are coming to life
got some 1998 jackherer seeds now to try

say no more ...
:joint:

Last edited:
G

LOL..... I remember the first time I tried this.... like I said with old seed....

they had gone several days with no tails... after like 4 or 5 days....

not a single one had germinated....

I cracked them open and the next day I had 3 tails....

Its really hard to prove that this helps....

A guy posted that had I left them alone for another day they would have popped on their own.....

I considered his post then thoughT.....

BULL...SHIT.....

Some people have said that the addition of a drop or two of seaweed extract is a good idea to soak old seeds as well.....

Hey m@rg.... question for you....

how difficult did you find the mechanical process of using the tweezers to pop the seeds???

Last edited:

m@rg

go on .. pull my finger
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i soaked for 24 hrs previous to popping them ,but they all popped perfectly with little pressure
hard to explain but get the tweezers on the widest bit of the oval seed, not lenght ways
so u pop em,not squash em
these seeds would not of cracked without this method i beleive

Last edited:
G

Thats great M@rg,,,Thanks again Dr.Hooks..i will be trying this for sure.

Black Ra1n

Cannaculturist ~OGA~
Veteran
Well I tried this Dr Hooks, and I have to say it worked. I had a stack of 35 seeds sent to me by a friend in BC. I tired germinating 30 of them for 3 weeks when I first got them. I tried paper towel, I tried straight into soil nothing worked. I read this post the other day and decided to try. I put 5 of those seeds (which are over 3 years old now) in water for 24 hours, then gently cracked them with tweezers. (which was easy as hell to do)
I then put them in paper towel and within 12 hours I had tails on 4 of them. The one that doesn't have a tail was the one floater, don't think it's any good. So I would say this method kicks some ass, thanks again for the info man.

B/R

Last edited:
G

Im really glad to see some folks give this a try...

Like I said in my first post the reason I tried this originally was to help some old seeds out of their shell...

but more recently I do this technique to almost all my seeds....

it seems pretty clear that seeds will germinate within a shorter time period....

Back in the old days I used to sometimes wait days between the first seeds that germinate and the last...

Great testimonials....

I still assert that some seeds...particularly old ones simply cant get out.....

Black Rain your experience seems to demonstrate that....

Last edited:

jocat

this thread is almost as good a find as the seeds i'm gonna try it on.....i have a stash of northern cali seeds from a grower i knew in mendocino, these are from around '83, i remember that from the helos that dickhead raygun started using to find plants, they called it CAMP......i degress.....anyhow thanks for this info, if it works i'll be smiling. jc

K.J

Kief Junkie's inhaling the knowledge!
Veteran
This sounds like a great method to use on beans that just won't pop. I had a 15 pack of MRN Spice beans and so far 6 of them would not pop. Next time I try to run some of these beans, if they don't pop after 24 hours, I'll try this!

C

Cracky

what we do with pumpkin seed to help them split is to rub the seed's edges on emery board to help the water enter. The seed has a pointed end, file on each side of this point.

I just cracked 25 seeds I bought from a european seed house. (didn't have to file them). In paper towel, in plastic bag, in a tin container set on my computer modem for three days. All cracked, some 'tails'.

Shov

GeD

as uaual i have got a stupid but long HMMM normal question, paper towle method. once hatch how long can i leave it in the paper towle. reson is i got no medium and i am just impatient as u probly just worked out :)
p.s for the people who are intrested it is white russian somthin i liked and thort HMM i gettin som of that! love GED
:/

weedster

i got some seeds and they just won't poop xD i guess it is because of strong seed sheel. So i am just wondering where to press with tweezers ... on edges of seed or on round side i don't got planty of them so i can't fu*k up. ty 4 answers

peace

keico

The reason I do this is because it seems to make the seeds germinate during a shorter time period.

The thing???

I soak my seeds for 12 hours in water.

then with tweezers. grab the side of the seed and apply some pressure until they pop open. done using reading glasses(3x magnification) ...

This seems to allow them to hydrate better and to exend their taproot within a shorter window. no longer do I wait several days to see if they germinate.

I have been doing this with all my seeds the last couple years.
It is a tech that needs some practice.

and its probably not for everyone.

If you want to try it.

almost everyone has a bunch of crappy seeds lieing about getting older.

try this with a few as an experiment.

germinate some normally and use tweezers to pop open a few

I originally did this for old seeds. Where I thought I might increase germination in weak seeds that could no longer pop a very strong seed shell...

now I do it to all my seeds. just so they will germinate at nearly the same time.

MOst when they pop open will click or pop with a clearly audible sound.

Others you have to visually see they have popped open.

One caveat..... its possible with too much pressure from the tweezers... to squish the seed like an ant under a SUV.... some practice is required....

Well I know this is an old post, but I had to give thanks.

I have been trying to germinate some seeds using the paper towel method, and after more than a week, only three sprouted.

I used this little trick and within 8 hours I had eight of them sprouting roots.

Thanks again.

I wish Dr. Hooks was still a member here so i could personally thank him

Budley Doright

Veteran
Some folks would say they would have germinated anyway....

We however know better..... I just got done popping a bunch last night......

by the way my writing style is unique...as am I.....

but as far as thanks...done.....

mayorofthdesert

Man, I could kick myself for throwing away a bunch of old seeds. I quit smoking about 15 years ago when the job I had started random testing, tossed the seeds about a year ago thinking "that little packet is the only illegal thing in my house/life, might as well chuck it." About a month later the company went out of business & I started thinking about the herb again. What I wish I had most of all was about 50 Chocolate Thai seeds. Also had a few skunk seeds & various unknown bag seeds from good smoke. I just figured they'd be no good after 20 years anyhow, why risk having them around? Live and learn I suppose. I always wanted to grow those Thais a few at a time & train them along the ground or something.

Parallel

I have some sensi G13 X Hashplant that I haven't been able to pop. I got 0/10 from my first pack and sent them back for a replacement. The second pack was exactly the same, although I have 4 left that I will try to use this method on. Whether it works or not, I'll find out soon enough. I had written these seeds off and have thought about chucking them until I read this thread. Cheers.

Latest posts

Latest posts