What's new

Cooler sweat cure

S

screwdriver

Look both ways before you cross the street!
Somebody else should give this a try.

An idea I've been having fun with lately. Kind of a cross between several ways to "cure", but my interpretation. The main idea is to raise temperature and humidity and create a more favorable environment for the magic to happen. Similar to tobacco curing from here .

So I changed to fit my needs, ghetto style. Just a typical cooler.

There are two coffee cup warmers for my heat source and a way to make humidity. The clear piece with all the holes is just to baffle the heat and humidity. With this arrangement I can get over 40c and between 80-90% Rh. It would be nice to be able to control the better, but it works just fine for ghetto.

This is the next round, master kush. I cut the bud to get similar size buds and put on a little screen setup. This method usually takes about 2 1/2 days to complete and ready for the use. I really watch the leaf color to change that's when your done and can move to the drying phase. The drying phase is when I remove one of the water cups which raises the temp a little and lowers the humidity to allow to dry. A simple way to process your weed.

pHaroaH

I read the article you linked and it does seem interesting. It appears that the purpose of this approach is to break down the chlorophyll in the leaves.

One thing I noticed was he vented his curing chamber, but you do not?

Also, how does it smoke after curing like this?

It would be very interesting to do a comparison using this method and the water curing method. This process might just be a way to speed up the natural curing process if the higher temperatures do not affect the THC and Cb's. I fear that the humidity might encourage mold growth on the buds. The article says that the humidity is to keep the leaves pliable, but is that something we need to be concerned about for mj? Perhaps the humidity plays some other part or low temp oven drying would be something we would see a lot more of.

I like your interpretation and design for your curing chamber. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a Thermostat solution to control the temperature.

S

screwdriver

Thanks for stopping by pHaroaH. My interpretation of "curing" is to give the leaf material time to breakdown the stuff thats inside the leaf so you don't get a bitter flavor. I can store it in a jar for 6 months or take a hint from another type of leaf that is smoked and use a little heat to speed up the process.

I do have venting. There are holes down low where the power cords of the warmers come out of cooler. The lid of the cooler is hollow, two holes underneath and a series of smaller holes around the lid. However, I know I still need better airflow to be able to control Rh.

I ran this setup several times and the bud is simply delicious. I have compared to air dried bud not a water cure. I want to mellow the smoke not strip away any essence of the weed.
Mold has not been an issue and I don't think this is the ideal growth environment for mold. There is a slight odor change when burned.

This project is still evolving and I get to smoke my results.

So we are at the 12 hr mark and I can check on the cooler. With this method, and my limitations with this design, I have to refill the water cups on the warmers and sop up the water in the bottom of cooler. The temperature inside is 40.4c with 90+ Rh. Not to concerned about the 90+ because the hygrometer acts funny in this high of humidity. I just want it high so the weed doesn't dry too fast.

Last edited:
S

screwdriver

Hello Nite Tiger, thanks for stopping in. I would also like to say that this is an easy method to try and would like to see if somebody else can get great results.

We are at the 24hr mark and cooler is keeping the temp at 40c and high Rh. Haven't seen much color change, but the leaves are starting fold upward around the bud so theres a change going on.

S

screwdriver

Well, this is the end. After the leaf material starts to turn color I let the water evaporate completely which lowers the humidity and begins to dry the bud. The bud has another few hours in the reduced humidity before it is dry enough to put into jars. My preference is to keep the hygrometer between 65% -75% when placed in the jar.

This is what I experience beside getting "high". I am able to contain the odor in one room, but occasionally sneaks out. Not stealth, but not too obvious. Trichomes seem to change to amber. Leaf material darkens.

As for the smoke..... the only way I can describe is that on the exhale, yes its "smooth" when you inhale, (the exhale that the best time), my sinus cavity come alive. I can sense something pleasant happening. It is a very positive experience when smoked.
I may be high right now after trying, but I will say this rocks! :headbange

FGandalf

I was checking this thread out and it just ended and i was curious, do you have a photo of a dried nug from this batch?

thanks

S

screwdriver

Hello FGandalf. There is a little bud just sitting in the pipe, but here are some from that batch. Very enjoyable. :joint:

No snapping here.

I have also done this method at MarP. Cooler thread.

FGandalf

Looks very good. I see that it's flexible. :jump: Would you describe it as a rubbery feel or a cloth like feel? I have cured some buds that after 9 months had a very dry but soft flexible cloth like feel to it. Ground up mint and smoked smooth. How long did it take you to get it like that bud in the picture?

thanks

S

screwdriver

Thanks alegoblin, FGandalf.

I would have to say cloth like because of all the trichomes on the stem. They give it that velvet feel.

How long did it take to get to that point? 2 1/2 days, but those pics were taken about 10 days after.

FGandalf

Well if it will give you that kind of cure in that amount of time i think it's worth it. Good luck. I'm going to have to give it a go myself.

thanks

i'm marking this ne to try later. I'm still a noob at this, but love the microwave steam cure for smokable bud less than 1/2 hour off the plant, and am doing Tigers water cure with a nug I am harvesting next week. I would love to try this but am going to wait till next harvest. I don't want to have too many "experiments" going on at the same time!

Thanks for the info!

D

Don Cotyle

Very interesting idea! I've been cureing in a metal cabinet with temps kept in the 60's, but no added moisture. This cure only used alot of plant material in a small place. Usually takes about 3 weeks till their ready for jars. I'll open em for an hour a day for the next week till thier just right. Them off to the humidor for a safe keep!

Stone

That looks very similar to a mushroom incubation chamber. I have great succes in that type keeping control of temp & humidity with a submersible aquarium heater. You can fill the bottom of the cooler with distilled water, secure the heater to the bottom w/ the suction cups that accompany it. Most heaters have a temp control right in the range you are looking for, so you'll be able to keep the temp at the exact degree that you choose. You could them put a sheet of clear plastic over the water, with a hole that could be sized with a sliding cover to let the perfect amount of water vapor through in order to keep the humidity at exactly the level you choose.
You could then make the space above the plastic where the buds would be kept have whatever inlet/outlet holes needed to keep the airflow where you would like it. Fans could even be added in this area, although it would make it considerably more difficult to hold a steady temp and humidity.
You should look into some mushroom cultivation forums for more ideas... Good Luck.

pHaroaH

I love the ingenious solutions that people come up with! This is one of my favorite things about reading mj forums.

S

screwdriver

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

SCT, Before I try the microwave method I need to be able to understand better. It seems to me that the water and oils would vaporize nearly at the same time making it difficult to control.
I know people do this and say they are successful, but I'm stuck on other projects.
Good luck with the water cure.

Don, I used to air dry in a filing cabinet, but now in my computer. I think as long as the space is properly sized to the harvest and air movement controlled there becomes less need for "burping". Humidors are cool :cool:.

Stone, I like the idea, but the submersive heater for fish won't get hot enough for this. The temps in the cooler are rather low, 40c. I would like to get up to 60c, but just trying this out. Instead of fans I relying on the heat rising slowly out the top lid. I know I have some movement because I lose a little water every night.
This is too small for me to control better so I'm looking for a larger chamber. I'll add more heaters and maybe a small exhaust fan.

pH, we all look at things from a different perspective.

:rolleyes: :chin: Now you got me thinking of a heater for a whirlpool bath. Thanks for the ideas.

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
The words microwave & cure do not belong in the same sentence :D You can quick dry a bud for smoking in the microwave, yes, but it is by no means a cure :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Latest posts