What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Hydrofarm Habitat Tents - A Warning

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to post this information I received recently from my retailer, especially as I have confirmed it myself.

Bottom line - the Hydrofarm Habitat tents suffer from the same problem as the recently manufactured Hydrohuts. They will be doing a recall, likely in similar manor as the one Hydrohut initiated about a week ago.

I got one myself as a replacement for a bad Hydrohut and concluded the same thing after a couple of weeks, so I am very certain about this.

I am told that Homebox is the only brand to not have a problem yet, but cannot confirm this.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope this information helps anyone who is having trouble in these tents.

Mr. Bongjangles said:
Hello Everyone,

I wanted to post this information I received recently from my retailer, especially as I have confirmed it myself.

Bottom line - the Hydrofarm Habitat tents suffer from the same problem as the recently manufactured Hydrohuts. They will be doing a recall, likely in similar manor as the one Hydrohut initiated about a week ago.

I got one myself as a replacement for a bad Hydrohut and concluded the same thing after a couple of weeks, so I am very certain about this.

I am told that Homebox is the only brand to not have a problem yet, but cannot confirm this.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I hope this information helps anyone who is having trouble in these tents.

So true, I just found out myself. This sucks big time. Here I was thinking I couldn't dial my PH in. This is the second time around for me, the first being the hydrohut. It looks like the darkrooms are the only way to go right now.

B

Boxy Brown

according to the Homebox people they haven't had any issues because from day one they've used PE and not PVC

Lately, we have had an increasing number of customers and retailers approaching us with questions and concerns about some problems they have heard of with grow boxes. Some were simple problems like the cover material becoming brittle with use or a strange smell to the boxes when they are new (due to outgasing); other problems ranged from weird, complex to some that were a bit frightening like plants yellowing and dying within the grow boxes. Everybody wanted to know if these things could happen with an Original Homebox as well. The answer is "No."

How can we be so sure? Let me explain.

Our Homeboxes were on the market for over 3 years before the first imitations appeared. In that time we have not received one single complaint. And, we can assure everyone, that all these problems will definitely not occur with any of our products which are of the highest quality.

When staring the inventing process of the portable grow box we named Homebox, finding the perfect material needed for the cover was a huge issue for us. The demands were set fast:

Durable and tough but not too heavy
Lightproof
Reflecting inside
Soon it was clear, that it had to be several materials, combined to one. Looking only at these perimeters, Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) seemed to be the best solution, followed by Polyurethane (PU), which has very similar properties. It is easy to laminate, tough and relatively cheap.

But we also had clear demands concerning the protection of:

The users and consumers health
The environment
Now, looking at these factors, both PVC and PU were instantly not a choice any more.

We researched a lot, and after long time and many investments into trials and tests, we found the perfect combination for our Material.

It consists of 3 layers:

on the outside we use webbed Polyester (PES), for strength and durability and to make sowing possible
as a middle layer, we use black Polyethylene (PE) to guarantee that it is lightproof
the inner layer is white PE to ensure maximum reflection and perfect ability to clean
Why did we choose to use PES and PE instead of PVC or PU? And why is that so important in reference to the occurring problems?

To explain that, let us peek a bit into material science. What are the different characteristics of PVC, PU; PES and PE?

PVC:

Polyvinyl chloride is a thermoplastic polymer. Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) is unique in its high chlorine and additives (softeners) content, which makes it an environmental poison throughout its life cycle. Vinyl chloride is a known human carcinogen (BUA 1986, 1987, 1993; Gray et al. 2000, Foster 2000, Ema et al. 2001, Kavlock et al. 2002a, 2002b, 2002c). PVC releases dioxin and other persistent organic pollutants during its manufacture and disposal and cannot be readily recycled due to it chlorine and additive content.

Workers in PVC production were getting sick (lung and joint problems). This was soon known as the so called VC-disease.

Furthermore, additives are not bound to the plastic and leach out. To make PVC soft, a lot of softeners have to be added. One of the most commonly used softeners is di-ethylhexyl phthalate (DEHP). Flexible PVC products typically contain 30 to 40 percent DEHP by weight, but that figure can reach 80 percent in applications where flexibility is critical. DEHP is known to be hormone disrupting, and otherwise health damaging (Ema et al. 1993, 1994, 1998; Shiota et al. 1980; Shiota und Nishimura 1982; Kavlock et al. 2002). This is especially true for children and genital organs. It was abandoned by the USA and EU last years, but only for children toys, and only in these Countries. No one knows what softeners are used in the PVC that is produced and used in products imported from China, for example.

PU:

Polyurethane (PU) is mainly used in insulation and soft/foamed products like carpet underlay. It uses several hazardous intermediates and creates numerous hazardous by-products. These include phosgene, isocyanates, toluene, diamines, and the ozone-depleting gases methylene chloride and CFCs, as well as halogenated flame retardants and pigments. The burning of PU releases numerous hazardous chemicals such as isocyanates, carbon dioxide, hydrogen cyanide, PAHs and dioxins.

PE:

Polyolefins such as Polyethylene (PE) are simpler polymer structures that do not need plasticizers, although they do use additives such as UV and heat stabilizers. The polyolefins pose fewer risks and have the highest potential for mechanical recycling. Both PE and PP are versatile, and can be designed to replace almost all PVC applications. PE can be made either hard, or very flexible, without the use of plasticizers.

In comparison with PVC, PE uses fewer problematic additives, has reduced leaching potential in landfills, reduced potential for dioxin formation during burning (PE burns completely into CO2 and H2O) and reduced technical problems and costs during recycling.

PES:

Polyester are commonly used plastics, with many usages, that are all around us in daily live. They can be used to make textiles (Nylon), PET-bottles, or other food packaging.

After this short excursion into material science, it should be clear why the PVC used in the mock copies most likely is the reason for the occurring problems.

We from EASTSIDE-impex invested a lot of time and money to find the right partner in China, who is able to process PE and PES into the material we use. It was not easy, but we knew we could not go for the alternative (PVC).

Our philosophy is that the best way to earn money is through happy, healthy and safe customers, not through maximised profit.

R&D department EASTSIDE-impex

We´ve got you covered

http://the-homebox.net/dhtml/nopvc.php

I've seen the threads about the huts being poisonous, but didn't know it was from PVC... does that mean even DIY pvc huts made from hardware store PVC pipes are dangerous also?

B

Boxy Brown

la resistance said:
I've seen the threads about the huts being poisonous, but didn't know it was from PVC... does that mean even DIY pvc huts made from hardware store PVC pipes are dangerous also?

apparently the PVC they used on the huts was only dangerous because of the chemicals added to the PVC to make it soft and flexible.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
Man what a bummer. It seems like Homebox is the only choice if you don't want any issues. I just sent back my HH mini for replacement. We will see if they have really fixed the problem. It's funny because the guy at the hydro store talked up the Hydrofarm Habitats and how they were non-toxic.

I have a feeling more people will start going towards the 2x4's and black/white poly route to save cash and headaches.... :bashhead:

-Funk

I

icon

also havnt heard anything bad about the dark room made by SECRET JARDIN

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
icon said:
also havnt heard anything bad about the dark room made by SECRET JARDIN

I can give an initial recommendation to the Secret Jardin tent, as I have been using a DR120 for a few days now and my plants definitely like it.

The material on the inside is nice and seems to reflect lots of light.. Check out this closeup shot I took..

Can't say for sure, but half their marketing is "we're not poisonous like those other tents" so I would consider them a less tested alternative and prolly won't have the same troubles.

I would have considered a Homebox had I known those details about the construction, but I also think I have a psychological aversion to that style of tent at this point hehe.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
a mate is using a dr240 and a dr120(my dream combo too) and they r the bees knees... careful you dont get the street edition verions though, they aint lightproof like the dr ones(made by same company and look similar)
These ones and the new budbopxes(2008 edition same shiny inner as dark room) kick the shit out of the rest...although the hydrogarden(uk company not hydrofarm not the tents listed in this thread) make some called grow tent nd they are really good too although can be a tad light leaky round the zips. Theyve got one called Skinny grow, 2m tallem and 70cmx70cm and id love one for my granny with some fluros for kitchen grown herbs lol....
So homebox, budbox, hydrogarden growtent and secret jardin ((DARKROOM NOT STREET EDITION)) are the tents to buy........ homebox are a bit behind on the times though with the extra vent and cable pots the hydrogarden and secret jardin ones have....

G

I'm just glad my HydroHut mini is OK. beginning 3rd grow without a problem

pedro

Blest_1

I have recently purchased a habitat, no problems here. Although I do have a deficiency right now..but its not related.

edit: atleast I hope so! *sniff

Last edited:

sergio

Mr. Bongjangles said:
Hello Everyone,

I also wanted to add my two cents to this thread since I've bought both Hydrofarm Habitat and a new, 'processed' HydroHut, both 2X4 and they both have the same problem. I should put it in perspective:

Last November I visited my local hydro shop and they told me about the issues with the HH brand. I bought the Hydrofarm version instead to avoid problems. After 3 months and dozens of dead clones, I was puzzled and visited my hydro shop again. They told me about the recall. Then I contacted Hydro Hut and in their site it said they were going to recall the skins to process them and fix the issue with the Polyurethane.

I was directed by one of the company principals to Hydroasis in Culver City to get a 'processed Hydro Hut' which i assumed would fix my problems with Hydrofarm's Habitat. It didn't at all.

I think after all is said and done, only secret jardin or homebox are the ways to go.

If you have a HydroHut or Habitat and think that the new process from Hydrohut will fix your yellowing and bleaching problem, it won't. i have several different strains and they all eventually show the same symptoms, some in as little as three days.

I'm returning both the Habitat and the HydroHut 2X4 and will try to fit two secret jardins together... i've lost so much money into this is not even funny...

I wonder if people with homeboxes or secret jardins are using active exhaust and intake 24/7 or if they can cycle their exhaust on and off... i spoke with secret jardin dist. and they said a 2X4 is in the works for mid march so i'm crossing my fingers on it
-+

Last edited:
If I was to buy a tent today I would order the Darkroom without a second guess, they seem to be a better engineered product and from the pricing I have seen they are also cheaper then a similar sized hut or home box. I love the size selection too, the DR300 and the DR240w are awesome, I can't wait to see a smaller rectangular footprint for moms and cloning like a 2' x 4', that would be ideal IMO.

So far the only North American retailer I can find offering these is BGHydro though, I have noticed that in the last week or so their stock levels on the DR150 have gone from 27 down to 5, makes me wish I was selling them... :D

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Well crap : )

Was just provided a replacement Habitat for my defective HH..... Was told to test it out, guess I should get this over with and kill a plant so I can get my refund. *sigh*

bartender187

Bakin in da Sun
Veteran
Response I got from Hydrofarm about my inquiry.

Habitat was selling in Europe for 10 years without problem which was why we decided to bring it in. Recently, we heard a couple of bad reports despite numerous other satisfied customers. We were not sure if there was any actual problem with the product or if this was fallout from the scare caused by trouble with another company's product. You know how rumors go around. People start blaming a product when actually they have other problems. However, because we didn't want to take a chance and wanted to make absolutely certain, we decided to put the product through further testing. This will take some time. Until that testing has been completed, the product is on Stop Sale. We do not know yet what, if any, changes we will be making to the product when the testing is completed. Sorry that I can't tell you more.

I hope this answers your question. If you need further information or assistance, please feel free to write again.

Best wishes in your gardening efforts,

Carolyn Andrews
Reception and Information
Hydrofarm, Inc.
2249 South McDowell Ext.
Petaluma, CA 94954
(707) 765-9990 x 120
info@hydrofarm.com

At least they are up front.

vindiesel

Veteran
i don't think it's from chlorine gas from PVC since they don't used PVC. they use PE. u may b having a problem w/ something else...but what do i know...

Raijin

Homebox did me wrong too!!

Homebox did me wrong too!!

I think after all is said and done, only secret jardin or homebox are the ways to go.

I have a Homebox that is doing the same thing as my Hydrohut and my Sunhut and now a Habitat. I was told that they all have the same PU and from what I can see, this is true. They look the same. The same plant problem exists in all 4 of them damn things! I haven't gotten mine processed yet, maybe I should do that. None of them use PVC, just PU so that long winded message from Homebox is full of doodoo.

The secret jardin looks like it will work but they look as flimsy as a kids play tent. You gotta be kidding with those plastic corners and sizes that won't hold a decent size tray here in the states. They need better air movement too. The thing looks like it was made to change out film in a camera, not grow plants.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Raijin said:

I have a Homebox that is doing the same thing as my Hydrohut and my Sunhut and now a Habitat. I was told that they all have the same PU and from what I can see, this is true. They look the same. The same plant problem exists in all 4 of them damn things! I haven't gotten mine processed yet, maybe I should do that. None of them use PVC, just PU so that long winded message from Homebox is full of doodoo.

The secret jardin looks like it will work but they look as flimsy as a kids play tent. You gotta be kidding with those plastic corners and sizes that won't hold a decent size tray here in the states. They need better air movement too. The thing looks like it was made to change out film in a camera, not grow plants.

LOL, man this is the most ignorant post I've read in a while.

You need to check the facts on like every single thing you've said.