What's new

Info on old Cali lines and breeders.

D

Dalaihempy

Hi all a lot think i hate cali growers and cali lines well trueth be told i have a lot of respect for the older growers and breeders and i would realy love to hear more about there lines and the breeders that did have a part in the lines of old some we have heard of many we have not heard of i would love to hear about people like sandy and other greats from the past that are no longer with us also.

I am personaly tierd of reading cali did this and did that we have the best and cali kush rocks cali was and i still feel much more than a few kush hybreeds cali was and always be more than a few kush hybreeds.

There were many places around the world were good mj was grown and breed cali was one of them places and i would like to read more on the erea and breeders of that erea and there strains as i sed many we dont know about.

G

IMHO, a little more respect is in order.... But I understand the emotion somehow, just there are facts not been shown to you yet. All potsmokers have the ability to empathize.

C'mon, be fair, it says more about you than Cali growers. And there are also those who are tacky about it, while they grow BBB grade and flood the market. hen there are Organic Medical growers who care. you would like these people. I assure you....

The numerous challenges and Million hats necessary to get it done, I have delineated before, in these "pages." Imagine the absolute requirement for a perfect mix of near-crazy protection of space, combined with Very good-neighbor policies of delicate balance. Almost flawless maintenance of property.

The best part. lol - All funds/bills paid out before any 'donations' are ever received, 5 day power outages. Curious Teenagers... All their friends.....

LEOs....

Ok, get real. No guarantees. Nope, don;t drink that Jagermeister, gotta keep your wits about you, and your edge, the whole night long, in case there is unwanted company in October, during the "Ripoff" (Harvest) Moon.......

Activists deserve better. Especially primarily Organic ones, lol....

Below NorCal Grape Romulan Clone

D

Dalaihempy

IMHO, a little more respect is in order.... But I understand the emotion somehow, just there are facts not been shown to you yet. All potsmokers have the ability to empathize.

Well i did say i have the uttmost respect for the old cali growers / breeders and im sure a few are still very much active to so dont know were you got the idear i do respect them.

C'mon, be fair, it says more about you than Cali growers. And there are also those who are tacky about it, while they grow BBB grade and flood the market. hen there are Organic Medical growers who care. you would like these people. I assure you....

I am ? how am i not being fair here i like many others would like to lorne more about the erly growers / breeders of cali lines that many have not even heard of on the boards all thats posted on cali lines is for the most part the so called cali kush no offence but there were great strains from cali before the cali kush craze .

The numerous challenges and Million hats necessary to get it done, I have delineated before, in these "pages." Imagine the absolute requirement for a perfect mix of near-crazy protection of space, combined with Very good-neighbor policies of delicate balance. Almost flawless maintenance of property.

The best part. lol - All funds/bills paid out before any 'donations' are ever received, 5 day power outages. Curious Teenagers... All their friends.....

LEOs....

Ok, get real. No guarantees. Nope, don;t drink that Jagermeister, gotta keep your wits about you, and your edge, the whole night long, in case there is unwanted company in October, during the "Ripoff" (Harvest) Moon.......

Activists deserve better. Especially primarily Organic ones, lol....

Well sounds like what all growers around the world deal with threw grow to harvest time.

B

Bluebeard

Actually, I agree with hempy. IMO it is kinda sad that the current growers are dependent on the circulation of genetically stagnant and often mediocre cuttings, but the grower/breeders of the 60's and 70's had a lot of things going on which no longer are occurring. First of all, it appears that for a period organized groups of california growers were taking imported seed, growing it and selling it as an imported product. Acapulco Gold and Zacatecas Purple are some of these lines which a measurable portion of which that was for sale throughout America was actually being grown in California and the southwest. Although a little before my time I do remember frequently obtaining Nigerian herb which was the best cannabis I have ever smoked that I didnt grow myself, and obviously locally grown, because I later met the grower, a kindly boomer aged man who grew these plants out in the Arizona desert and had even supplied the grateful dead in the 70's. During the 60's and early 70's the most well connected individuals in California had access to some amazing breeding stock, although it still did require sorting through many plants to find suitable breeding parents.

Even as an American I always felt that California didn't really deserve its title as a cannabis mecca. When the comparatively small area of North Georgia, Western North Carolina, Eastern Tennessee, Eastern Kentucky, Southwestern Virginia and West Virginia produce as much as the entire state of California which is much larger and much more populated. This region is also the birthplace of mass cultivated potent American grown cannabis during World War I when American pharmaceutical interests could no longer acquire sifficient quantities of cannabis from India to satisfy the growing demand for cannabis products in the united states. Companies such as Parke Davis imported seeds from places such as Northern India, Pakistan, Samarkand and Yarkand which were capable of producing potent herb which finished on time in southern Appalachia, and thus the first potent products made from Cannabis Americana were born. The potency of the Parke Davis product was thoroughly documented in unbiased scientific studies and was very close in potency to the Indian product.

G

blah blah blah, Cali-haters anonymous must be recruiting members on ICmag. . Envious people who have no idea what really goes on. The risks, the costs.... The covetous people..

The opinions say more about the author than the subjects discussed.

Most people who judge the scene get their ideas from the pages of High Times, which would have peeps think it is one big Baccanalian feast all year long....

I wish..... Got all of 3 weeks off last year. Spent 'em all in AMS....lol

I personally do not need to toot the horn of CA pot. Proof is in the pudding......
Sometimes something relevant comes from somewhere else in the USA. Chemdog, for instance..... Pictured below.

I look forward to the "Appalachian" Parke-Davis (can you say conspiracy theory..?) strain that beats the Chemdog/Kush line, or even the Moms we develop from seed stock, readily available to all.

It's all about science. Pride is useless.....

B

Bluebeard

First off, it's not a fucking theory, I have copies of parke davis catalogs, depositions, and scientific research papers all fully documenting every aspect of what I just said. I also never said that the herb parke davis produced was more potent than whatever cut of the week you're smoking. It does, however establish a long history of cannabis use in the region, much older than california. Second off, I dont think anyone is hating on California. I lived all over the united states, including a stint snowboarding in Truckee for a few years, and I have grown smoked and bred several of the elite cuttings, almost all of which are medium high in potency but completely bland in psychoactive aspects, and absolutely atrocious in their combining abilities. There are exceptions, such as the trainwreck cutting but the guys who did work with the great genes and whose shoulders you are standing on are sadly dying off and getting old. Much of the reason california was ahead at that time had to do with a large amount of excellent quality herb being imported, but those sources have since dried up and the gene pool in california has become bland and over-dominated with wide leafed phenos.

Have you ever smoked a perennial colombian, or a real keralian? Even with all of the imported genetics the diversity of what is available in california pales in comparison to southern india, northern india or colombia, and doesnt even have as long of a history of growing and breeding as the southeast, so explain to me why should california growers consider the state to be the center of the ganjaverse?

G

Well said bluebeard, I have personally smoked marijuana from the Appalachian region of my area. I used to go to school there, the weed is spectacular. I have had friends go to amsterdam and say the weed is pretty comparable other than strain names coming with the herb. The only difference obviously is pricing. There is evidence that before the sinsimillia boom in CA, there was Appalachian growers working on genetics. I think I have read something like the appy's helped the californian's who inturn helped the Netherlands. Its all one big circle, I have smoked med pot that was imported from out there, CA. It blew my socks off, there is probably more consistant weed there. But also, I do not live in the mountain region anymore so anything really gets me blasted (even beasters).

An old dorm I stayed in was on the cover of high-times back in the day for being the best dormitory in the United States to score weed at according to an older friend I had at the time. It isn't like that anymore (they converted it to the athletic dorm in the summer but everyone still smokes), but the area reminds me of what the triangle humbolt area is like in CA. I would say CA wins with ease of trade (also cali love/style/sun), then the Appalachian growers win for orignation (backyard geneticists). I can't hate on either because both make remarkable weed.

There are probably strains originating from the 70's from both areas. I am sure some of the pot we still smoke today is something that hasn't even been named. At least around the world a seed can grow anywhere so who are we to say where everything "good" comes from.

I would agree some weed grown on the mountaintops of the indian himilayan mountains would be stronger, there is less atmosphere to block UV and other rays which cause the resin amounts to increase. If you don't believe, check the sources:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...=43&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=2

Mr. Nice aka Howard Marks (famous drug smuggler) visits jamaica, sensi seeds, and relates altitude to the ability to make hashish (amount of sticky resin on outside of plant). Therefore, the best place to grow weed would be definitely a lower lattitude mountain such as an INDIAN mountain. Which is why there is still weed being exported from there today, even with the US drug war.

Last edited:
G

Even as an American I always felt that California didn't really deserve its title as a cannabis mecca. When the comparatively small area of North Georgia, Western North Carolina, Eastern Tennessee, Eastern Kentucky, Southwestern Virginia and West Virginia produce as much as the entire state of California which is much larger and much more populated. This region is also the birthplace of mass cultivated potent American grown cannabis during World War I when American pharmaceutical interests could no longer acquire sifficient quantities of cannabis from India to satisfy the growing demand for cannabis products in the united states. Companies such as Parke Davis imported seeds from places such as Northern India, Pakistan, Samarkand and Yarkand which were capable of producing potent herb which finished on time in southern Appalachia, and thus the first potent products made from Cannabis Americana were born. The potency of the Parke Davis product was thoroughly documented in unbiased scientific studies and was very close in potency to the Indian product.

You're making me very proud about right now.
Well said bluebeard, I have personally smoked marijuana from the Appalachian region of my area. I used to go to school there, the weed is spectacular. I have had friends go to amsterdam and say the weed is pretty comparable other than strain names coming with the herb. The only difference obviously is pricing. There is evidence that before the sinsimillia boom in CA, there was Appalachian growers working on genetics. I think I have read something like the appy's helped the californian's who inturn helped the Netherlands. Its all one big circle, I have smoked med pot that was imported from out there, CA. It blew my socks off, there is probably more consistant weed there. But also, I do not live in the mountain region anymore so anything really gets me blasted (even beasters).

Nice to see this part of the United States getting the respect it deserves, few on the west coast realize what we actually have out here.

D

Dalaihempy

icysurfer

blah blah blah, Cali-haters anonymous must be recruiting members on ICmag. . Envious people who have no idea what really goes on. The risks, the costs.... The covetous people..

Whats rong with you man no one hates cali or its people but like all places there the good the bad and the mad lol , Some of you cali guys do the best recruiting members for Cali-haters anonymous.

icysurfer

The opinions say more about the author than the subjects discussed.

Does it you should re read the title and what i sed over and over till you get it.

Your replies so far in this post says a lot about you infact.

icysurfer

Most people who judge the scene get their ideas from the pages of High Times, which would have peeps think it is one big Baccanalian feast all year long....

I think most judge the scene get their ideas from people like you my friend no offence as no one takes what high times has to say.

icysurfer

I wish..... Got all of 3 weeks off last year. Spent 'em all in AMS....lol

Im glad.

icysurfer

I personally do not need to toot the horn of CA pot. Proof is in the pudding......

No you dont becouse the old growers and breeders built a reputation years before im thinking you were even born.

icysurfer

Sometimes something relevant comes from somewhere else in the USA. Chemdog, for instance..... Pictured below.

Your just out of your mind if you think other parts of the US or the rest of the world dont have as good or better.

icysurfer

I look forward to the "Appalachian" Parke-Davis (can you say conspiracy theory..?) strain that beats the Chemdog/Kush line, or even the Moms we develop from seed stock, readily available to all.

I think you would even piss of the most carm of old hippies with your bull shit icysurfer.

icysurfer

It's all about science. Pride is useless.....

You keep repeating that comment once it gets in then come back and post and contribute a little ha .

D

Dalaihempy

Is it that hard to just post about the old cali breeders and old cali strains with out the we cali do it better and have the best you rest have the dregs PLEASE wake up and smell the coffe.

I was reading an old copy of Jorge Cervantes book, with the last chapter written by Rob Clarke. Most of the strains stated there were well-known, but few i didn't know about them.

Polyanna, Kona Gold.
These are Sativa Hybrids bred in California back in early '70s, before the introduction of Indica ? Probably Mexican/Columbian/Caribbean crosses ?

Herbalistic

Herbal relaxation...
Veteran
Dalaihempy said:
Is it that hard to just post about the old cali breeders and old cali strains with out the we cali do it better and have the best you rest have the dregs PLEASE wake up and smell the coffe.

It seems so....

This was a good topic for a thread, I am also interested hearing of these old lines. I would especially wanna hear about them old sativa lines that people have kept among themself/small circle for years!

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
TomHill said:
Some of you have these & are wondering what they are.

Pure lines have always taken a front seat in my program regarding my own time management however when something good comes along I certainly do collect. This collection represents decades of freeing the good ones out of the vaults of the oldtimers.

Old Mendo-

A mix of mostly hybrid seeds containing cannabis originally from Pakistan, Afghanistan, Korea, Mexico, Jamaica, Africa, India, Thailand, & Thai based Hawaiian genetics in no particular order. I made this mix up from various sources of cannabis grown in Mendocino County from the mid 70's through the 90's. You'll not find any Dutch hybrids in there as they were purposely avoided during collection. This is what Mendo used to be- a flashback if you will. Some of the seeds in there are very old, please use extra care when sprouting.

Tom

Hope this helps a bit :D
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=60950

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
There'd be a great book, if the truth about the Haze Brothers, the Emerald Triangle, and the Brotherhood of Eternal Love, among others, could be told.

Check this trailer for 'Orange Sunshine':
Orange Sunshine

Also, check out this zamalito quote:
My theory is that the haze has some amazing Sri Lankan genetics mentioned by BOEL leadership that they acquired on one of their many surfing trips there. Some members of BOEL have stated that while on one of their surfing trips to the island they discovered a small cannabis growing community that produced the finest herb any of them had seen which is saying a lot. It seems likely that seeds or herb would've been brought back. I actually have doubts that there's any thai in the haze at all and there may not even be any Keralian. Sri Lanka is located in the Indian ocean between south India and Thailand and central to ancient trade routes from India, Thailand and southern Africa. I've never heard that the holyweed was bred from BOEL imports but they were running large cannabis production facilities at Big Sur during the era this strain came from.

G

as said the real gems of the Cali scene was back some years when all those delicious pure Sats were the norm............growin' up in the Santa Cruz Mtns and having friends in the Big Sur/Arroyo Seco region we were spoiled with the quality of genetics we tended and like most things in life didn't appreciate how special till they were no longer around ....

also to note: the indoor revolution had not begun so being taught organic, full sun growing for quality from the oaks above the redwoods to the sea was the norm and still is.......

G

I thought all the good stuff originated in areas like india, africa, afghanistan, pakistan. Why doesn't anyone give it up to our brothers with a different bubbler?

Quiet_Riot

Veteran
Yea, lets get sum good ol mesmerizing!

I can't tell you squat about any of the oldies, but I'm getting some ´79 Aeric Calio x Rez' Sour Diesel bx 2.5 IX beans soon, they should grow like the Cailo, so when I'm all set up in a couple of months, I'll hopefully post pics of some gourmet ol'skool buds. Doen't help this thread now though, heh q:

Breeder' description:
Calio by itself is a big, Christmas tree type plant with relatively tight node spacing. Abundant bud sites line its long branches. Similar to Bubblegum in that the lower, more shaded buds get almost as big and mature as buds directly in the light. She has been known to put forth bumper crops of beautifully formed buds by those who have her dialed in.

D

Dalaihempy

hi all good to see the post has settled.

From what i can make out cali is like most ereas of the world that has a few main things going for it.

Shipping.

Surfers.

Good weather.

The shipping would bring in the cannabis from all over the world.

The surf culture were very much into smokeing / growing and traveling.

The weather alowed them to grow the strains being exported back to cali.

Im only speeking of ow experence here were basicly very alike cali in that we have shipping / surf culture and great weather.

I know we got imported mj from all over the world even from cali as like cali in there off seson when the mj would start to dry up they needed to import in to keep people in smoke up untill there harvests came threw why the need for imported cannabis or hash was needed just like here.

A lot of the strains were colected by hippies / surfers on there travels a lot more was colected from cannabis imported in from locations around the world that came in by shipping.

Cali also had mexico close by.

Haze is i think posibly the most known of the cali strains but there were many more few know of or of there breeders.

Just to clear something up if you have grown pure old world thia and grown haze you can see theres an asian look to her even in her high you can tell she is there.