What's new

1000W Hortilux Blue MH bulb in a HPS ballast

texasluv

I went to my hydro store last night because my POS Grow Bright 1000W MH conversion bulb went bad and I needed a good bulb to veg under before I leave town for a few days. They were out of 1000W MH conversion bulbs but the guy told me I could use a 1000W Hortilux Blue MH bulb and my HPS ballast would have no problem firing the bulb. I was told the only difference in the ballasts is the MH ballast has no igniter. Since I was in a bind and had no other option I went ahead and spent the $180 on the bulb and took it home to fire it up.

Amazingly enough I turned on the light and fired up just fine, better than the shitty Grow Bright bulb I had before that was designed to work in a HPS ballast. My question is are there any negative effects to running a 1000W MH bulb in a HPS ballast? They guy at the store said it shouldn't be a problem for either the bulb or ballast. I'm not to worried about it because the ballast is new and they offer a 1 year, no questions asked replacement policy so if it does fry the ballast, I get another for free.

If anyone has any input on the safety factor of this setup please chime in.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
You paid 180 for a 1K bulb? Did they use lube? I may be wrong, but I believe that hps systems are UL listed, but that use of a MH bulb in one is not covered, since it is not designed for that, evidently UL did not test that, or it did not pass their saftey requirements. It may be fine, I make tea in my coffee pot, that works.
H

texasluv

$180 is pocket change in the business we are in, especially considering the value of the babies depending on the light. I thought the price was high, but they had standard 1000W Hortilux HPS bulbs for ~$100 which is about average, so I guess this bulb is more expensive than most.

I just wanted to see if there were any well known negative effects of running a MH bulb/HPS ballast combo. It going to have to do for now since I have no other choice, but if it isn't something to worry about then why change it out? I don't understand the concept of having a MH and HPS ballast if the HPS ballast can fire both bulbs.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Word is that it burns the bulbs out faster, but that will just be pocket change to you, so no worries. MH bulbs are best changed frequently, I go 6 months on bulbs, then put in new, to keep yields from declining.
H