What's new

Feminization of seeds

sophisto

What is the current methods used by breeders to obtain feminized seeds???

I understand how the S1 is created but somehow I doubt breeders are handing out S generations????

If it is an F1 or F2 how do they obtain feminized status??? Do they simply take pollen from the self pollinating male pollen of another strain and hit it to the mom???????

Also in your experience are the feminized seeds more true to the genetic or are there just fewer variances in phenotypes????? I get it that there are no males......DUH!!......LOL....

any and all information is apreciated.......

Last edited:
G

Hello...im no expert but have done many femininized seed runs with great success...I sts my females which is sodium thiosulphate solution...you dilute silver nitrate and sodium thiosulphate (anyhydrous) and mix them up and spray your target plant or donor plant once and wait a week or 2 if no ballbags you can spray again but it may take longer to drop pollen if you spray twice....there will be variation but that should be expected to some degree....you will have to search for the actual recipe on mixing as they are not in front of me...FET was the originator of this method I believe so you may want to check over at HG..I know its there....this works great for my situation...hope this made sense to you and maybe it will help you along the right path...good luck
take care
inkognyto

sophisto

somebody please tell me that this is not the way top breeders are achieving their female seeds......IF so I want nothing to do with chem created seeds.....

dc105

ICMag Donor
Jdog! This is exactly the way top breeders get fem'd seeds! Usually sprayed at week 1 and week 3! Like inkognyto said there is still alot of variation. Pollen count is alot lower versus natural breeding!

sophisto

With this being said I never want femmed seeds other than S1 fems that I make.

Imagine a Jersey boy moves to California and becomes concerned about chemicals.....Un fuc*ing believable.....LOL...

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
I've had 2-3 self pollinated plants and plants that were pollinated by a hermi. All my self made seeds are female. I have yet to run into a 100% male in nearly 2 years. I guess one in four plants is a hermi that tends to seed itself late in flowering. The hermi usually flowers up real nice and then pops out a sack to pollinate itself.

It may be my fault and not the plants. This plant was in a difficult position and was stressed.

sophisto

facelift said:
I've had 2-3 self pollinated plants and plants that were pollinated by a hermi. All my self made seeds are female. I have yet to run into a 100% male in nearly 2 years. I guess one in four plants is a hermi that tends to seed itself late in flowering. The hermi usually flowers up real nice and then pops out a sack to pollinate itself.

It may be my fault and not the plants. This plant was in a difficult position and was stressed.

I may be totally off here but I think thats how a pure bred is achieved right.....By self pollinating, popping beans, choosing fems, taking cuttings, vegging and flowering and then choosing which moms to keep based on perrformance, then self pollinating the selected moms again to create S2 and so forth...A sort of stabilization effect.....

G

I stress my moms in several different ways just to make sure they are not hermies ....this is just my method of feminizing...good luck with the method you choose...
inkognyto

I am not a treehugger, or organic grower, but all those chemicals to try to force a sex-change is just bad, that's NOT how the good breeders do it ... just grow your female plant well past finishing, it will turn male ...

sophisto

Not really looking for any method as I would only extend my flower period as explained in Soma's book to obtain feminized seeds to create an S1 generation....

Do all breeders use a chemical process to form their commercial line of feminized seeds???

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
There are several approaches you can use to obtain feminised seeds ... I have a feeling that time will reveal more but these are the ones I know of now:
- silver theosulphate (STS)
- giberillic acid (GA)
- colloidal silver (CS)
- light poisoning
- leaving the plant to grow a few weeks longer than normal (what Soma calls "Rhodelization") - insert wanking notions here.

"Rhodelization" would have to be the least viable and SLOWEST method of them all - the other four methods allow you to get feminised seeds a lot sooner than that, and with a much greater probability of achieving success - pollen. Some strains don't even fall into that category of putting out late pollen in which case 'Rhodelization' completely fails, because it relies on the plant to naturally produce pollen as opposed to the other 4 methods which INDUCE the pollen.

Last edited:

sophisto

PhenoMenal said:
There are several approaches you can use to obtain feminised seeds ... I have a feeling that time will reveal more but these are the ones I know of now:
- silver theosulphate (STS)
- giberillic acid (GA)
- colloidal silver (CS)
- light poisoning
- leaving the plant to grow a few weeks longer than normal (what Soma calls "Rhodelization") - insert wanking notions here.

"Rhodelization" would have to be the least viable and SLOWEST method of them all - the other four methods allow you to get feminised seeds a lot sooner than that, and with a much greater probability of achieving success - pollen. Some strains don't even fall into that category of putting out late pollen in which case 'Rhodelization' completely fails, because it relies on the plant to naturally produce pollen as opposed to the other 4 methods which INDUCE the pollen.

Hmmm. How is it possible to know which method is used and if so, which method is the safest...Giberillic acid is nasty shit.....The others sound pretty nasty too. Any info on the safety of these substances?????

I think Femmed seeds are out for me......Unless there is a safe way like rhodelization which is chemical free....

P

pSi007

sophisto said:
With this being said I never want femmed seeds other than S1 fems that I make.

Imagine a Jersey boy moves to California and becomes concerned about chemicals.....Un fuc*ing believable.....LOL...

HAHAHAHHAHA....... too funny.. i luv it!

on a real note, i tried every method i ever read about but STS seems to work the best for me.

LiLWaynE

I Feel Good
ICMag Donor
Veteran
dc105 said:
Jdog! This is exactly the way top breeders get fem'd seeds! Usually sprayed at week 1 and week 3! Like inkognyto said there is still alot of variation. Pollen count is alot lower versus natural breeding!

I heard this:

You must spray the reversal plant and induce flowering 2 weeks BEFORE flowering any of the target plants. Spray the reversal plant and immediately place it into 12/12. Spray it again in 2 weeks when you induce flowering on the target plants.

i've had great success simply useing 2 caps of aspirine in gal and applying on last feeding of vedge period and last of second week 12/12 ... onto a sensemillia plant of coursse(even from clone stalk) ... male flowers will apeare containing pollen that when aplied on an other sense plant will produce 100% female seeds ...

that is all

:joint:

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
I've heard asprin works but haven't seen much on it,do you spray the plants or drench soil?
I'm trying homemade collidial silver at the mo as i don't like the idea of using harsh chem's like STS and GA3.

I aply the solution to the medium marijuanamat, but if drench meens saturate, I never do that ... I like to let my roots breeth ... close to the expretion"if it 'aint dry, dont aply" but not qwhyt :joint:

marijuanamat

Crazy X Seeds Breeder
Veteran
Cannabniofil have you tried spraying the plant with asprin?
I think i left it alittle to late when i sprayed my mexican michoacans with CS,the silver wire arrived 2 weeks after i started flowering them but i sprayed them as soon as i could and every 3 days after that for 2 weeks and i've removed around 6 bananas from the plant which i'm storeing in my fridge after its dryed for future use as i don't think i'll have enough this time round.