What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Macro photography 101

purcellville

Self Proclaimed Hash Whore
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cannon has the MP-E-65 macro lens. This will do like from 1:1 to 5:1 and is probably the top (pro)consumer macro lens out on the market. I will run you betwenn $850 and $1500 depending on where and when you grab it.

While you can/should be able to use this with about any of the modern digital SLR's they have.... It will really only shine on a full frame sensor which is the 5D, do they have a new one now? The 5D will run you around $1500...

It's been a long while since I looked at a bellows setup but I bet it will run $500-1000 as well.

I love Nikon true and through and came darn close to buying the cannon 5d and switching over when I bought my d200 a few years ago. Nikons new D700 full frame is a great competitor to the 5d and the D3 is amazing as well for full frame.

My bit of playing with the canon makes me darn glad I stayed Nikon. I find them a bit more intuitive, a little less clumsy, and no one will argue against the Nikon metering capabilities. Cannon has a better pro level lens selection, some faster equipment and is well suited to sports and landscape shooting. I guess I wish I had both, maybe one day. But i never regret Nikon as my one and only choice. 20+ years and they never ever let me down.

accessndx said:
Just when I think I have a tentative grasp on the subject....LOL. Now all I need to do is figure out what an F-mount is and a bellows....
At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if someone told me I needed an Intergalactic Framma-Zamma-tron....

Thanks for your input bro. Any information like this is greatly appreciated.

If I hadn't expressed this accurately before, I'm a da-da-dummy with this SLR stuff. I wouldn't know my ass from my elbow with relations to lenses and the other jazz...

I'll let you know that I'm not scared to drop anywhere from 2-5K for a camera depending on what you'd get (but I wouldn't mind spending less if possible), so I'd be eager to hear about the Canons.

I'm looking for the simplicity of point and shoot, but the power, resolution, magification, and quality as specified before. If you got links, drop em' here, I'll gladly peruse your suggestions! :friends:

accessndx

♫All I want to do is zoom-a-zoom-zoom-zoom..
Veteran
Isn't a bellows that big old fashioned looking accordion thing? How does that work, and why is it necessary?
P.S.-thank you so much so far for all the information. K+

mixin

Dr.Know said:
Nikon doesn't have any modern macro lenses that go beyond 1:1 but they did make a group of specialized macro lenses in the 1970's (macro nikkors) that covered 1:1 - 40:1 range when used in conjunction with a bellows. The 19mm nikkor that I use is optimized for 15:1-40:1 magnification

Hashmasta-Kut those coolpix4500 are great little pocket cams but they only shoot up to 1:1. L33t is correct, resolution does not equal magnification, its easy to get the 2 confused. Creepy spider pic btw

A few SSH x C99 trics to keep the thread rolling

12348DSC_1845.JPG

12348DSC_1853.JPG

12348DSC_1854.JPG

every trichome has a soul if you look deep enough

12348DSC_1979.JPG

12348DSC_2023.JPG

12348DSC_2013.JPG

12348DSC_24071.JPG

12348DSC_24771.JPG

how do you get a reflection out of the trichs like that? i want to do that. amazing images!

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
this is a great thread, but it would be better if peeps didnt re-post other peoples pics a couple of posts below.

mixin

hey camera guys out there! i found this deal and want to see what you think about it. i want to start taking some real deal macro shots of nugs and i hope this may do it right. what are the pro's and con's

here is the actual link: canon eos rebel xsi

Canon_hiRes_xsi_3q.jpg

FREE Shipping This item qualifies for FREE SHIPPING!
Our Price: $499.00

Package Includes
• EOS Rebel XSi 12.2 MegaPixel Digital SLR Camera (Black) With USA Warranty
• 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG Wide Angle-Telephoto Compact High Speed Zoom Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
• 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro AF Lens
• 1GIG Secure Digital Memory Card
• SD Memory Card Reader
• Full Size Deluxe Camera Bag
• Full Size Tripod
• Cap Keeper
• Wrist Strap
• Lens Pouch
• Deluxe Lens Care & Maintenance Package
• LCD Screen Protectors

what do you think?

Last edited:

purcellville

ICMag Donor
Veteran
mixin said:
how do you get a reflection out of the trichs like that? i want to do that. amazing images!
Search this thread a bit. I think it was L33T, but someone gave a nice tutorial on how to refract images.

wow i was looking at the spider pics and my cat rubbed against my leg and I jumped so hard i slammed my knee in my desk... nice pics!

purcellville

ICMag Donor
Veteran
It is a decent camera but not a macro setup. Pick your macro lens then design your camera around it.

mixin said:
hey camera guys out there! i found this deal and want to see what you think about it. i want to start taking some real deal macro shots of nugs and i hope this may do it right. what are the pro's and con's

here is the actual link: canon eos rebel xsi

Canon_hiRes_xsi_3q.jpg

FREE Shipping This item qualifies for FREE SHIPPING!
Our Price: $499.00

Package Includes
• EOS Rebel XSi 12.2 MegaPixel Digital SLR Camera (Black) With USA Warranty
• 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG Wide Angle-Telephoto Compact High Speed Zoom Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS
• 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro AF Lens
• 1GIG Secure Digital Memory Card
• SD Memory Card Reader
• Full Size Deluxe Camera Bag
• Full Size Tripod
• Cap Keeper
• Wrist Strap
• Lens Pouch
• Deluxe Lens Care & Maintenance Package
• LCD Screen Protectors

what do you think?

l33t

Veteran
thats good advise purcellville

BTW I would like to say that people shouldnt forget that 2nd hand equipment can be a very good solution too if youre just a hobbyst.

From my experience for trichome portraits there are few options basically:

first of all you have to get an SLR cam body ,

combined with

-a good/sharp 1:1 macro lens like the 60mm Micro Nikkor (mounted on bellows or extension tubes , to go over 1:1)

-or a specialized macro lens ( like the one DrKnow uses , 12mm macro nikkor or similar) on bellows/extension tubes

-or a 8mm (or 16mm) format Cine lense (again on bellow or ext tubes)

Such setups will give you the ability to shoot trichs close up.

your photography kicks serious ass, your equipment seriously kicks ass, your descriptions nontheless ...
I read this text some time ago and did understand shit, no that i got myself a dslr I even more appreciate your work. some day i stop by an steal your 5:1 hehehe. thats just some awesome piece of equipment ... but without the rest of your equipment its worth nothing to me... so keep it ... :laugh:

some of my macros (a chilli in perlite. it has its second pair of leaves already now!)

what the hell? why have my pics been resized? thats crap :bashhead: :cuss:

Last edited:

mixin

i just bought a canon rebel 450 xsi, a mp-e 65mm lens and a ring flash so i will hopefully be able to add some tight nug shots around here really soon!!! can't wait!

C

CTSV

Some macro shots

Some macro shots

Great picture snes!!!

Power House at day 14
51923DSCN2432.JPG

Cured Double Strawberry Diesel
51923DSCN2352.JPG

Gonzo #2 at day 56
51923DSCN2369.JPG

G13 Diesel at day 56
51923DSCN2380.JPG

Casey Jones at day 56
51923DSCN2392.JPG

Pine Tar Kush at day 56
51923DSCN2401.JPG

White Eyebrow at day 56
51923DSCN2403.JPG

Last edited:
Ok not sure what took me soooo long to find this thread (I think that SEARCH could be improved) but Im gonna mark this one and read through it today.

mOnkey thanks for the post, I hope that it will help me with my photos.

Latest posts

Latest posts