What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

70,000 watt grow house busted

• Thread starter stonedeconomist
  • Start date
S

stonedeconomist

an annonamous tip led norco ca. police to bust a 70,000 watt grow house. here is a sample of the newspaper article and a link. these guys had 70,000 watts going and nobady noticed until somebody narced.

The marijuana-cultivation system inside the home included 70 1,000-watt sunlamps, more than 200 gallons of liquid fertilizer, 35 wall fans, 12 industrial-sized air purifiers and 70 power box converters.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_5824256

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
Cripes stealiing electricity they were going to get caught before harvest anyways.. narc or no narc.

Dig the police math on the plant values. 1,447 plants [ given that only a fraction of those could have been in full flower ] .. they still valued each plant at close to $6,000.

G

You know whats funny... every time they bust these grows you hear some person saying I cant believe it was right under my nose and didnt know bla,bla,bla. What do they expect a big fucking sign on the house that says "we grow weed"

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I will cut them a deal and give them my plants for 2,000 a piece, lol. Where do they come up with some of these figures?

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
70 1,000-watt sunlamps

bet this smart boys home glowed at night bright orange like V said was bound to get nailed imagine hittn that home with flir lmao

G

1400 plants.. stolen electric.. blah! giving real non criminal people a bad name,, i wish these crackheads would just stop messing with Cannabis.. they are giving it a bad name..
'Cause i know for a fucking fact, that NO pot head is going to take care of 1400 plants.. Hands down! hahaha.. When would you smoke pot.. it takes me like 10-25 minutes to enjoy a smoke/vapor of cannabis,, so they must have been hitting the crack pipe, cause you wouldnt have and extra 30 min to spend smoking pot with all them plants to take care of.. Now if they would have just put these young plants outside, maybe some of that chronic would have been lost to nature and not cops :)
OH! BTW. I read a artical about a problem NYC is having with metal grids on thier streets. They shock pets/people resulting in death. I guess its lose wiring under ground. Well the power company there has "electricity leak detectors" that can tell them where electricity is leaking out of thier grid. They rigged' up some taxi cabs to park infront of the "High output" areas to warn the people walking near them.. So in the future if your stealing electric, they will be able to tell if not already.. just a heads up.. be safe, be well,

Cannabismavin,

That is absolute madness.. even say working on .5 gram per watt they could have yielded at least 35 KG's of weed per harvest!!! How would you even move that kinda weight ?!!??

Lets take that one further.. even if they sold it on at $100 an ounce = $3.57 a gram = $125 000 per harvest less your overheads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Madness....

G

Man, those $6,000 plants are really elites. Beans gonna be up on SB soon????

GDB

I say that the 70 1k watt light thing is bullshit, just think of the BTU and amount of amperage. Even if you are stealing electricity that is over 600A@110v. I bet the cops can't count and they just want to inflate the size of this grow like their egos.

Plastic

70,000 watts!! Jumping jimminy cricket!!! Their house should be radioactive or something man... I have no feelings for power thieves giving pot growers a bad rep.

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
GDB said:
I say that the 70 1k watt light thing is bullshit, just think of the BTU and amount of amperage. Even if you are stealing electricity that is over 600A@110v. I bet the cops can't count and they just want to inflate the size of this grow like their egos.

Do the math on the sqft of the house based on plant numbers and 1000w lights. Its very possible. I came out to around 1.8 sqft per plant and 40w/sqft for light.

Y

yamaha_1fan

ItsGrowTime said:
Do the math on the sqft of the house based on plant numbers and 1000w lights. Its very possible. I came out to around 1.8 sqft per plant and 40w/sqft for light.

I say very tough. 70K watts of lighting is 583 amps not including the timers, pumps, fans, blowers, and the AC needed to cool the place down. I just dont think the house could supply 600 amps. most houses have 200-400 amp service. Even if you ran half the lights at one time, thats still a huge demand.

And why would you go to a house that is worth 750k that is right on top of the neighbors? For that kind of money, buy a house somewhere on 10 acres in the middle of nowhere.

And whoever said that grow was worth 125k was being very very conservative. That grow was worth more like $$400-500K.

T

THCV

from the pix, it looks like a decent setup. as with all of these Asian gang busts as of late, it's all 4x4 E&F tables and GH nutes--typical. I always wondered who buys the 5 gallon GH jugs; the only guys i have ever seen with them have always been asian, weirdly.

I agree that 70 lights seems unlikely. 600 amps just for lights? These guys really know how to steal electricity then; it's tough enough to get that much (say 800 amps total including ac etc) using normal, legal, wiring.

I also agree that these guys aren't pot heads. This is strictly business, ain't no love of the plant happening. They are following a blueprint for making a house into an op, and the GH and E&F tables reek of a cash-cropper system that was designed 5+ years ago. But i guess it "works". Until they get busted. I wonder if they flush and cure...

G

"I wonder if they flush & cure..."
They will now - in the joint. :pointlaug

Agreed with the earlier statement, I have no sympathy for the greedy asshats that give indoor grows a bad rep, we get lumped in with the LEO propaganda unfairly. But what is fair with LEO involved. :moon:

Also, dead-on with the amperage - residential transformers are doling out 100 amp service, 200 amp service usually has to be ordered for plasma cutters & welders, etc. How many common residential homes are using those? :pointlaug

Last edited:

ItsGrowTime

gets some
Veteran
Thats true, I didnt think of the actual power draw at any given time, but rather the mathematical possibilities of that much light. If the amperage is taken care of its still very possible. Guess we'll never know.

Reg Dunlop

You know whats funny... every time they bust these grows you hear some person saying I cant believe it was right under my nose and didnt know bla,bla,bla. What do they expect a big fucking sign on the house that says "we grow weed"

I disagree,I have a neighbour,who is only around in the winter months,for 3 months at a time and gone for a 2 week period in between.Not only that, he is a younger guy with a brand new garage,pvc 6" lying on the ground beside the garage,with no windows,and 3 ac units on built into three of the exterior walls,out in the open in the country.If that dosen't say "I grow" what does? Now none of this is my business,and as a general rule of thumb,I keep to myself,but for god sakes! Smartin up!!!!!