What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Varieties, Dangerous? REPLY

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=57157

FYI,
Cannabis can make terpenoids that are serious problems. I had an Afghani import from seed plant that when wet and fresh if you touched the flowers with your hand to manicure or let it touch your arm your skin would break out in welts for several hours. One person manicuring rubbed their eyes with fingers that had been manicuring and their eyes puffed up for hours and they could not see. But when dry and manicured the herb was no problem at all and smoking was not any problem.
Terpenoids can be dangerous, but as we all know most are not, at least in the amounts found in herbal Cannabis, 10,000 years of use show this.
As for the Swedish guy, Thomas Lundqvist, he is a jerk that I discribed some of my early terpenoid findings to and he stole the info and published it with his personal anti-marijuana theories attached. He did not even mention I had done the original terpenoid work, he presented it as "his discovery". What a clown, he is close to being an alcoholic, typical anti-Cannabis nut. He did give me a copy of his book.
-SamS

Last edited:

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
I wonder though

I wonder though

Wouldn't that be an alergic reaction to that particlar Terpenoid?
in other words that same person could trim other strains with no problems?
This is intresting because I know a woman who got a small itchie rash a few hours after touching some flowering plants.

Also Would you say that reaction was caused by Hybredizing the strain, I think that was the original intent of the thread your answering.

Thanks

Sin :wave:

Last edited:

mtnjohn

Veteran
interesting....i have heard of these "rashes" so to speak
although i have never experienced it myself

this afghani plant that you speak of sam......did it do that to everyone who had contact with it..??

thanks

mj

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Hey MJ
I'm going to ask this same person to risk her arms again. Same strains as last time.
Just to see what happens. I didn't atribute the rash to the Herb at the time.
I never got any..spider bites LOL.
Then anyway if she gets one mabe I trace it back to a particular plant.

Intresting Although I still stick by Cannabis being Non Toxic... Baring algric reactions apparently.

Sin

entropical

Veteran
Sam_Skunkman said:
As for the Swedish guy, Thomas Lundqvist, he is a jerk that I discribed some of my early terpenoid findings to and he stole the info and published it with his personal anti-marijuana theories attached. He did not even mention I had done the original terpenoid work, he presented it as "his discovery". What a clown, he is close to being an alcoholic, typical anti-Cannabis nut. He did give me a copy of his book.
-SamS

Well how nice of him, how did you ever manage to get in contact with this guy in the first place?? I also know from experience that can be difficult to tell what is a persons intentions. Never imagined he actually stole your original work, just to add his personal touch :fsu: Yeah, thats some amazingly :fsu:

All the best to you Sam!! :wave:

HashCat

this had happend to me!!i didnt know it was common.after i trimed my whos ya' daddy grow about a year ago.i got a bad ichy rash all over my body mainly on my wrist forarm and chest.i was bright red and swelling.i got short of breth.kinda like my ashma attacks as a kid.i just about drove to the E.R.,but i reeked of fresh ganja so i hopped in the shower and used pure white bar soap,and cool water.i felt better instantly,got out put on clean clothes and was all better.never happend again and its 5 crops later...
peace,HC

Beetlepumpr

I have seen my share of glory takers in my days, in many different walks of like. They are everywhere, after a while you can pick'um out easily. Next they will take the terpines and make some kinda mace out of it.

Thanks SamS for the info.

I was reading Soft Secrets(a newspaper about cannabis) and it had a little text about this:

"Quite a few growers are allergic to pure Northern Lights! It often happens that skin irritations in the form of red marks and stripes appear on your arms (if you are allergic to the variety) when you work with these plants a lot.The outbreaks itch like crazy (if you are allergic) but for - tunately the symptoms grow less sever the more you come intom contact with them"

EpheDrone25

Yes this is a known fact I do belive its also the little hairs all of the plant,my grow partner went into to work with the plants just in boxers in the summer,Boy he was red all over ,Yes all the room was indicas! I also know people that sneeze right away when smelling fresh bud so it really could be terpenoids that cause the mass irritation.

Ep

Have experienced this with an Afghani and Northern Lights but more so the Afghani from amdammarseeds. It was an outdoor and gave my skin red bumps that itched. Possibly because was outdoor, indoors, did not have problems nor have had any since. So is more likely brought out in outdoor sun conditions.

The ant is trying to protect itself with its own form of a cocktailed poisonous neurotoxin:

Gas chromatographic and mass spectrometric analyses in the Cornell laboratory identified four components in the multipurpose fluid from the ants' poison glands. They are N-isopentyl-2-phenylethylamine, a key compound never before identified from nature; anabaseine (3,4,5,6-tetrahydro-2,3'-bipyridine); anabasine [3-(2-piperidinyl)pyridine]; and a fourth chemical never before found in ants, 2,3'-bipyridyl.

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Yes I think it was a reaction to one or more specific Terpenoids.
Yes it made everyone who touched it fresh get red welts, maybe 10 people in all, me included. The dry bud did not cause any reaction to anyone.
No this was not a hybrid plant. The seeds were from Afghanistan, and when grown looked typical Afghan/Indica, and the buds did smell quite a bit like rotting meat.
I have also had a South Indian plant, again from seed, that smelled just like Vics menthol vap-o-rub. It was pretty stoney but made you cough like crazy. I think it was the menthol or another terpenoid.
This Afghan/Indica is the only Cannabis plant that gave me a rash and I grow 10-15 foot tall plants every year for decades. And walk amongst them constantly. I can be covered in pollen and no effect at all, while some people are very sensitive to male pollen or even non flowering plants. I wear shorts in my greenhouse and never got a reaction ever. But I have seen friends that got strong reactions from Cannabis pollen or female flowering plants. They mostly were also hay fever sufferers.
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I have no idea if N-isopentyl-2-phenylethylamine, anabaseine (3,4,5,6-tetrahydro-2,3'-bipyridine); anabasine [3-(2-piperidinyl)pyridine]; or 2,3'-bipyridyl are terpenoids, if not they are not relevent to what Cannabis can produce.
I do not think they are terpenoids at all, they are alkaloids in fact.
-SamS

G

But I have seen friends that got strong reactions from Cannabis pollen or female flowering plants. They mostly were also hay fever sufferers.

This is my wife's reaction to being in amongst plants, especially males and sometimes to certain plants she has a sinus problem very similar to hay fever. Which she only occasionally suffers from.

Bests, hhf

Grat3fulh3ad

The Voice of Reason
Veteran
Thanks for straightening out your position on things, sam... That other thread had gotten into a mess... Very interesting about the irritating teprinoids from that plant... I will occasionally, during a trim, accidently wipe fresh resins in my eye... man that sux, but generally after a short period of irritation It goes away...

I just couldn't get over the guy thinking that hybridization was going to cause mutations to occur to toxify plants... Also of note, there are several food plants which are toxic or irritants before preparation... I never intended to imply that cannabis could not contain irritants, or that terpines could not cause adverse reactions, Only that breeders weren't putting the community at risk of poisoning as a result of their crosses, and I do stand completely by my position on his original question...

I seem to wipe fresh resin in my eye everyday and do get that awesome burning and stinging in my eyes,lol but gladly can say I have never had anyhting just totally mess with me and give me rashes,etc..

G

Speaking of reactions; I had some weed once that made all the tastebuds on my tongue fall off due to some sort of crazy reaction, after smoking a few bowls a day for 3 days...freaked me out but the weed was dank and was grown, flushed and cured properly...they grew back within a couple weeks of stopping that bag of weed. It didn't happen to the boyfriend I had at the time either and he was smoking the same stuff, so I am thinking it was a reaction my body had from it. I am also allergic to "weeds" in general, and always get a stuffy nose when I spark up. More so some more than others. Still with that being said, I still smoke due to the other things that it helps me out with. The anxiety and depression I get is far worse than losing tastebuds on my tongue(altho it did suck!) lol Thats never happened ever again and ive been smoking regularly for 2 years now.

.♠.

Puffer Fish said:
....and always get a stuffy nose when I spark up.

Hello,

Puffer - I was thinking that it is possible that you get all stuffed up when you smoke because smoke can irritate your mucas membranes. This will cause them to overproduce, making your nose get all stuffy.

Not sure if this is the scenerio you have to deal with or not, have you ever tried a vaporizer? Do you get stuffy then?

As far as rashes and such, I have not ever had to deal with that myself. I do have a habit of eating a leaf or two during trim, which almost always results in heartburn. Too bad to, because I like their peppery little taste...lol.

Peace

Last edited:
G

I have never tried to vape, but plan on it when I get the $$ for something nice. I plan on getting one within the year.

Its odd though because depending on the strain, I get a different reaction with the stuffy nose thing. With that, I get really paranoid about how strong it really smells in my place. lol

Sinfuldreams

Basement Garden Gnome
Veteran
Hi Puffer and Spade
My Nose runs mostly, after a hit.
Infact I have sinus troubles stuffing up and can get head aches.
If I do a bowl my nose runs and no more headache.
This is something we should do more research on.

I've never had a rash or anything in the 5 years I've been hanging around them.
I know one woman who may have. Need to test that.

Also If she got the rash from these flowering plants... it was from ECSD Momma or a Sour Mist that was the only 2 strains flowered at that time.. No Afgani..?

Keep the stories comming.
Off to read some links!
thanks everyone.

Sin

Thanks for the links Sam!