What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for precedents: cops opening doors

My attorney likes to argue (good for me, I suppose).

I believe officers used a call reporting my girlfriend missing from work for 36 hours did not justify a warrantless entry into a house. I believe the reason I can't find a precedent saying such a search was reasonable or unreasonable based on facts similar to this case is because it was clearly unreasonable to enter a home on such a flimsy pretext.

The scenario: my girlfriend quit her job without giving notice spurring her work to call the cops reporting she hadn't showed up for two days. The cop taking the call got no answer when he called her phone. A half hour later he arrived a the residence (takes five minutes to get to anywhere). He knocked "loudly"; no answer (she was on an errand). He tried the door, which was unlocked. He stuck his head in and while yelling and saw a bong on the table and smelled smoked buds. He called for backup and 3 minutes later, the two cops searched for her inside and during their search opened our 3x4 latched flowering chamber and lifted up the mylar around a small metal rack, where cuttings were growing. (one end was mostly open with a fan blowing in, but all one could see without lifting the mylar was two tomato plants).

They got a search warrant, seized evidence and arrested us when we got home.

My lawyer says the fact they opened the flowering chamber - expanding the check on her welfare to a search for narcotics - is the better argument to suppress evidence. When he first posited this, he commented, "Was she inside the cabinet yelling "HELP! HELP? No. It had nothing to do with concern for her safety." When we really got into a heated discussion more recently, he explained "Forget everything and look at this. If you were genuinely concerned for someone's welfare who was missing from work, would it be more reasonable to sweep the house to see if anyone was home and in need of help or would you open up a box to see if a dead body was inside?"

I believe the better argument is that opening the door to the house was a flagrant violation of the Fourth Amendment. The only information he had was someone had not showed up for work nor called in and they didn't answer their phone or door. He had no articulable facts that would lead him to suspect she was in that particular location, did not try less intrusive means of ascertaining her safety such as leaving a message or checking license plates in the lot. He had asked her coworker to call the emergency contact (me), and said he'd call back and did (left message). If she'd been missing for two days a delay of a few hours to ask around the neighborhood and consult with family members ... anyway, there were many less intrusive investigative avenues to confirm her welfare than welcoming oneself to poke one's head in a private residence :yoinks: And I believe the fact that he didn't call for backup until after he saw the bong and smelled pot - but entered as soon as backup was there - shows the entry was to search for drugs, not to see if she was inside and unable to answer.

So is there a published case that would support either of our positions?

badboyg

POWER TO YOU!!!! I wish I was a lawyer type ..I would hook you up three way to sunday this and that DUKE team crap has GOT to stop,, I do not want the gistopo (sp) in my state....

Bob Labla

thats a very shitty situation. can you argue both? they both seem logical and hold the same water in my eyes, but i dont know much legalese. damn i cant get over the crappy coincidences that had to happen for you guys to get in this kind of trouble. ive walked out on a job and i never thought twice that they might call me in as a missing person, only to have a cop come by and bust me for pot =(. my hopes are with ya hope you guys can get out of this one

Your door was unlocked?

I lock my door while I am home let alone if I leave.

Good luck with your case, hope you pull through.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If your girlfriend never misses work, and a call was honestly made out of concern, I think its going to stick. That would fall under the "good faith Doctrine". This states if an Officer is acting in good faith towards someones safety, than anything stumbled upon can be used as evidence. I think you will find that when the cop called for backup, a warrant was probably asked for also. Good luck though....

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
The BEST arguement IS opening the door. He says that WHEN HE DID THIS THE FIRST TIME he saw a bong and smelled smoke..WHY DID HE DO IT AGAIN???????... and then opening it again and entering with other officers... He(officer) says he saw a bong smelled smoke.... then he goes back in and checks the flower chamber... I'd say HIS ACTIONS demonstrate why he went back in the SECOND TIME..

However... The judge will rule.. IF U DON"T ARGUE THIS RIGHT... that the SECOND entry WAS ILLEGAL.. HOWEVER... the first entry was fine and the pig DID SEE a BONG and smelled SMOKE... this IS PROBABLE CAUSE IN ALL 50 STATES under these circumstance

SO U HAVE TO ARGUE THE INTIAL OPENING WAS ILLEGAL...

PLUS IT WAS...GEEZE!!

His actions AFTER OPENING THE DOOR THE VERY FIRST TIME... show he was interested in the bong and the smell.... when he and other officers entered...CLEARLY A 4th U.S. CONST. VIOLATION not just state violation.. His actions DEMONSTRATE the arguement I just made... He looked inside a 3 foot flowering chamber..

However the FIRST illegal act was TRYING..THEN OPENING the door... the NEXT was entering with other officers.. the THIRD was looking inside areas CLEARLY DEMONSTRABLE not to contain a human being..

Now under Wong Sun Vs. United States... The law is CLEAR.. that evidence gained as a RESULT of an ILLEGAL ACT.. is not admissable.. because it is the FRUITS.. of a POISENED TREE..

U just have to demonstrate the OPENING and then ENTRY were illegal under STATE or FEDERAL LAW... then Wong Sun comes into play..

I'll check for some precedents in ur state

Peace
BB

Last edited:

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
JJScorpio said:
If your girlfriend never misses work, and a call was honestly made out of concern, I think its going to stick. That would fall under the "good faith Doctrine". This states if an Officer is acting in good faith towards someones safety, than anything stumbled upon can be used as evidence. I think you will find that when the cop called for backup, a warrant was probably asked for also. Good luck though....

The "GOOD FAITH" exception.. is an exception carved out by the U.S. Supreme Court.. AND it only applies when a WARRANT was IN HAND..
The Good Faith exception states... That an officer relied upon what HE BELIEVED was a VAILD SEARCH WARRANT.. when making the search.. if later on it is proved the wrong address was on the warrant.. or the officer forgot to put the name on if he had it.. or a few other TECHNICAL reasons... the FEDERAL COURTS have said the warrant is still good because the officer acted in "good faith"..
NOT ALL STATES have adopted this theory ... some will STILL invalidate a warrant under situations like I described... HOWEVER if charged FEDERALLY u have to contend with this FOR SURE..

So GOOD FAITH does not apply as there was NO WARRANT when the officer went to the house and OPENED THE DOOR TO A PRIVATE RESIDENCE... no matter how good his INTENTIONS were.. that is just plain ILLEGAL...
Imagine if they could do this... Instead of asking a SNITCH to do a controlled buy or tell them whats in someones house... they would just say.. Hey call up the cops and say u havent seen so and so for a couple dayz and he was supposed to "watch my kids" "do my laundry" etc... yesterday..
Cops could wait till So and so was not home... and go up and OPEN HIS DOOR.. to see if he was home and OK??? I don't think so... EVEN IF the cops DIDN'T KNOW where the dude was.. they can't go up and OPEN DOORS... a good example is a PARENT saying they haven't heard from their child who lives in their OWN RESIDENCE... would the police go to the house.. and if no one answers... open the door and see if they are OK???
NO...NO WAY... there would have to be SOMETHING CONCRETE.. to give RISE to the belief they were NOT OK.. and
This is the BIGGIE..

IN NEED OF IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE... not dead... not bloated... but DYING... and needing IMMEDIATE ASSITANCE..

If they are dead.. the cops can get a fucking warrant to go in and find the body...
BTW even if someone is DEAD in a house... if the PIGS want to search it... THEY NEED A WARRANT... cause the dude aint alive to GIVE PERMISSION

Peace
BB

Last edited:
JJScorpio said:
If your girlfriend never misses work, and a call was honestly made out of concern, I think its going to stick.

She had called in to two supervisors at her location and t6old them that she was going back to her old job. It was someone in HR - located in the town over that called the cops. I don't think aspect matters though.

JJScorpio said:
That would fall under the "good faith Doctrine". This states if an Officer is acting in good faith towards someones safety, than anything stumbled upon can be used as evidence. I think you will find that when the cop called for backup, a warrant was probably asked for also. Good luck though....

BB is right that the good faith doctrine does not apply here. I believe you mean the Emergency Exception:

The police may enter a dwelling without a warrant if they reasonably believe that a person within is in need of emergency aid."​
Mincey v. Arizona

From the same case:

1. the burden of proof rests on the state to show that the circumstances meet the emergency exception
2. the reasonableness of the officer’s belief that an emergency existed must be reviewed using an objective standard
3. in considering the reasonableness of the officer’s belief that an emergency existed, the court must ask

whether with the facts available to the officer at the moment of the seizure or search, would a person of reasonable caution believe that the action taken was appropriate​

It took the cop a half hour to show up. That in itself shows he did not believe an emergency existed.

As per whether his subjective belief met the requirement that it met an objectively reasonable standard, that belief was solely founded upon one call from one person that an employee hadn't shown up for work for a period of about 30 hours.

Seriously, JJ, would that call have led you to believe all these things:

a. That she was at a specific location (her home)
b. That she was unable to answer to his knocking
c. That the emergency was so dire that waiting a few hours for a search warrant was unreasonable

Or, if you think a different standard could be applied to justify entry, I may not be aware of it, so that would help.

Last edited:
Bob Labla said:
thats a very shitty situation. can you argue both? they both seem logical and hold the same water in my eyes, but i dont know much legalese. damn i cant get over the crappy coincidences that had to happen for you guys to get in this kind of trouble.

Yes, one can argue as many points as one wishes. In this case, one argument would challenge the lawfulness of the entry, the lafulness of expanding the search beyond what was necessary to deal with the alleged emergency.

bergerbuddy said:
The BEST arguement IS opening the door. He says that WHEN HE DID THIS THE FIRST TIME he saw a bong and smelled smoke..WHY DID HE DO IT AGAIN???????... and then opening it again and entering with other officers... He(officer) says he saw a bong smelled smoke.... then he goes back in and checks the flower chamber... I'd say HIS ACTIONS demonstrate why he went back in the SECOND TIME..

Good point. He also claims he opened the door to yell and saw the bong at that time. He would have had to step into the foyer to view the bong. He was just being nosey.

bergerbuddy said:
the first entry was fine and the pig DID SEE a BONG and smelled SMOKE... this IS PROBABLE CAUSE IN ALL 50 STATES under these circumstance

In my state, a bong and pot smoke are reasonable suspicion, not probable cause (under a certain weight is not a crime, but misdemeanor equivalent in severity to not coming to a full stop at a stop sign. A cop friend from GA says it's only reasonable suspicion there too,

bergerbuddy said:
His actions AFTER OPENING THE DOOR THE VERY FIRST TIME... show he was interested in the bong and the smell.... when he and other officers entered...CLEARLY A 4th U.S. CONST. VIOLATION not just state violation.. His actions DEMONSTRATE the arguement I just made... He looked inside a 3 foot flowering chamber..

Yeah, that's the argument my attorney favors. One reason I favor my argument is they still had plain smell without opening the chamber. His response: no, because smell does not indicate a quantity over the semi-legal limit.

Thanks BB and everyone for the sympathy and support! I'm optimistic we'll have a favorable result.

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
Well ya know... I don't know for SURE... is it not REASONABLE to think that someone breaking the law by possessing cannabis, may have MORE cannabis that is NOT in plain view... How bout if the officer says it SMELLED TO STRONG for it to have been WHAT HE COULD SEE... that would DAMN WELL FLY IN MY STATE.. AND HAS... Those VERY facts... smell vs.. what could be seen..

BUT... I'm glad that is NOT the issue... This has been SOLVED with State Vs. Fitzgerald (Supreme Court) LOL... and I DO LOVE IT!!!

BTW The FIRST ENTRY is what FITZ solves quite BLUNTLY!!

BUT If what u say is true about the PC and MJ not being enuf... I can "KINDA" understand your lawyers position... HOWEVER it makes no sense AT ALL.. not to argue BOTH... The ENTRY with FITZ.. and the further search with and it wouldn't hurt ONE BIT to throw in some case law showing EVEN IF the entry was legal the second wasn't.. the facts don't establish PC....
Thats the way I'd do it... And so would my lawyer.... OR I'D FIRE HIM! ;=}

Oh and Erin.. I see your Optimisim and raise ya some cheer!!

Peace
BB

Last edited:

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
Just change the facts a bit and ur case fits this statment by the Court perfectly

We acknowledge that the police officers were providing a laudable community service by following up on a concerned mother’s request to check on her teen-age daughter’s safety. Although the mother’s specific concerns are not clear from the record, and she apparently was not at the residence herself, she was concerned enough to call the police at 2:00 in the morning. Thus, from the standpoint of the welfare check, and given the information they possessed at that point, it was reasonable for the police to stop a car quickly pulling away from the residence in question at 2:00 a.m. with a teen-age female in the passenger seat.[2] But as a matter of Fourth Amendment jurisprudence, the police did not have the necessary reasonable, articulable suspicion of criminal activity to justify stopping respondent’s car, and therefore the evidence of respondent’s intoxication that resulted from the stop must be suppressed

While it is laudable that LEO wanted to help ur gf (my ass!) as a matter of Fourth Amendment jurisprudence, the police did not have the necessary reasonable, articulable suspicion of exigent circumstances or criminal activity to justify opening defendants door, and therefore the evidence of defendants C-99 growing out of control that resulted from the entry must be suppressed

Case Dismissed!
Signed,
The Honorable BergerBuddy this 13 day of April.... a Friday in the year of our Lourd 2007

Last edited:

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You need to look further into the good faith doctrine. You are correct that it started because of a bad warrant, but is now used in other circumstances.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good-faith_exception

It has been used many times and is probably the frontrunner in violating someones rights. As for the bong, that was in plain view so that would fall into the "plain view doctrine". They also have a "public safety doctrine". This is used a lot when someone smells a meth lab. The police have the right to enter a residence to prevent someone being injured by explosion. These doctrines have basically torn the 4th amendment apart.

I have a question for you? Have you ever been arrested by these Officers before for pot related crimes? If so, that may be a good argument. Your Lawyer could argue that they suspected you may have something inside so they used this as a reason to look.

Last edited:

bergerbuddy

Canna Coco grower
Veteran
Good Link JJ..

Yes the Leon case is the ORIGINAL opinion instituting the Good faith exception... and you are right they have exteded it to other situations..

The example u give about a meth lab is ON POINT... under the "community care taking function" police could enter an apartment building the had reason to believe had an ACTIVE meth lab.. because of the safety of others in the same building...
See..
Cervantes,219 F.3d at 891-92 (holding initial entry of apartment to locate methamphetamine lab under the emergency exception was justified, but subsequent entry by investigator was not, given that “the risk of explosion had been defused”).

But once police knew there was no danger... the 2nd search was ruled BAD... no good faith execption!!

Good Faith wouldn't apply in Erins case because the officers did not act in good faith by obtaining a warrant

Give the good ole U.S. Supreme idiots a chance and I am sure soon enuf... if a cop does anything... and u can't PROVE they did it with malcious... well then it will be ok...

But we are not there YET!!

Peace
BB

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If they bring in to testify whomever called and said they were afraid for the woman and they had been asked to check on her, then they did act in good faith. Once they saw the bong in "plain view" they should have gotten a warrant. If they did, I think this arrest is going to stand. What I said earlier about being busted before may be a way out. That would make a good argument.

JJScorpio said:
You need to look further into the good faith doctrine. You are correct that it started because of a bad warrant, but is now used in other circumstances.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good-faith_exception

It has been used many times and is probably the frontrunner in violating someones rights.

Can you cite a case in which it's been used to refer to an officer's unlawful actions becoming lawful by merit of the officer's mistaken understanding of a point of law? Can't find any ...

JJScorpio said:
As for the bong, that was in plain view so that would fall into the "plain view doctrine".

A bong is not probable cause - a warrant can't be issued because a bong is observed. Besides, possession of small amounts is not a crime here, but an infraction.

JJScorpio said:
They also have a "public safety doctrine". This is used a lot when someone smells a meth lab. The police have the right to enter a residence to prevent someone being injured by explosion.

Also known as the community caretaker exception, I believe. I don't see how that could possibly apply here - nothing was perceived to be putting the public at risk. That exception to the warrant requirement is used for seizing cars on the side of the road, searching for the source of gas leaks and as you note shutting down dangerous labs.

They will try to argue that my GF was in danger, and thus be arguing the "emergency exception".

JJScorpio said:
I have a question for you? Have you ever been arrested by these Officers before for pot related crimes? If so, that may be a good argument. Your Lawyer could argue that they suspected you may have something inside so they used this as a reason to look.

No. They once gave me a warning about a broken headlight. Good thought though, thanks.

We'll use a similar argument though: no emergency was perceived until the cop stuck his head in and saw a bong, and the alleged "emergency" was merely a pretext for a drug-related search.

King Amdo

...and again, this is why the Pashtun have the right to defend tribal sovereignty by force of arms in order to avoid this pathetic wanker type virus from inflitrating tribal territory.

Blessings and protection.

JJScorpio said:
If they bring in to testify whomever called and said they were afraid for the woman and they had been asked to check on her, then they did act in good faith. Once they saw the bong in "plain view" they should have gotten a warrant. If they did, I think this arrest is going to stand.

I spoke to the caller two weeks after the incident. Cop told her they could "knock on the door, but if she's not there, we can't do anything".

... the bong wasn't in plain view until the cop opened the door, which was warrantless search. Then he and another officer came in again for a full search. Then they got a search warrant and five cops searched and seized evidence.

JJ ... could you tell us what you're thinking of in connection to "good faith"? If it's an area of law I'm unfamiliar with, it would be very helpful to be pointed to a case that uses the concept as you're explaining it - thanks.

Watersnake

State v. Scott,231 N.J.Super. 258, 555 A.2d 667 (N.J.Super.A.D.,1989).
This may be a good case to examine. Involves improper obtaining of evidence incidental to search to render aid.

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would think the cop would have had to have some reason to open the door. I checked and most states wont even have Officers take a missing persons report until the person has been missing for 48 hours. What led the Officer to open the dorr? That will be the key to your argument. I don't think unless family or close friend reorts her missing the police should have opened that door. Does your girlfriend have a health issue? If not my argument would be that the police wont take a MP report for 48 hrs, why are they opening doors to a residence? They can only do that if they have "probable cause" to think she was in there and hurt or in danger....you are going to have to look through law books regarding your State and try to find a similiar case....

Latest posts

Latest posts