What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

An Inexpensive & Better CFL for Growing in Small Spaces

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
An Inexpensive & Better CFL for Growing in Small Spaces

Introduction

I’ve been growing indoors in small confined areas, on and off for over 35 years now. One of the biggest challenges has always been the lighting. While my main source continues to be a 150w HPS lamp, I often find myself supplementing it with CFLs. While they have helped out in a variety of situations, I have never been fully happy with their performance, till now that is. I recently found a new type of lamp that addresses most of my concerns, is easy to set up, and cost very little.​

History
The modern-day CFL can trace its roots all the way back to 1901 when Patent No# 889,692 was issued to Peter Cooper Hewitt for his “low-pressure mercury arc lamp.” However, it wasn’t until 1979 that Phillips unveiled the first commercially produced CFL lamp for sale. From that point on, there was little interest in them until Earth Day, April 22, 1990. On that day, three books* were released about protecting our environment, each of which stressed the benefits of CFL lighting. As a result, two things happened. CFLs obtained worldwide recognition and acceptance, and indoor farmers had a new source of lighting.

Problem
While the advent of the CFL was a great help to growing in small spaces, it was not without its own problems. The most severe of these was the physical shape of the tube itself. The standard CFL was designed to evenly disperse light in all directions while staying as compact as possible. As such, the tubes were laid out in a circular pattern and often folded back on them selves.

This was fine when trying to simulate a standard incandescent bulb lighting up a room, but did little for the directional needs of a grow space. If viewed from an end, its easy to see just how much light is actually lost. Even with a good reflector added, little is accomplished.

The Alternative
Thanks to “Lights of America” and their recently released R-40 #2948 Floodlight, things are looking brighter for many pot growers. This new bulb is designed to function as an indoor floodlight and has its own built in reflector, but, for just $4.00 and 30 seconds with a screwdriver you can now have an excellent grow-light that will either work on its own or supplement your existing lighting.

Unlike other CFLs, the tube pattern is wide and flat presenting more surface area and available light in the primary direction. Whatever light is projected to the rear is reversed with the bulbs own integral reflector.​

Modifying The Bulb
As it comes, the bulb not only has a reflector, but it also has a built in diffuser. It helps to even and disperse the light when used it its normal configuration. It also tends to block a good deal of the available light. For our purposes, we want all of the light and we want it very directional. This is easily accomplished by simply removing the plastic diffuser. To do so, simply use a fine flat bladed screwdriver and carefully insert it in the groove between the reflector and the diffuser.

Go slowly and work your way around. You are opening a seam that is held together with flexible glue much like silicon tub sealer. Once the cap is off, just remove any large pieces of sealer left behind and you’re good to go.

The only other thing that ‘s needed to make this into a functional grow-light is either a hanging lamp socket or rigid base. Both of which can be found in almost any Dollar Store. It can be easily installed a horizontal position, but in most cases you’ll want to go vertical.

Conclusion
So, is this the light to end all lights? Will it grow colas the size of Pringle cans and penetrate 24 inches thru a dense canopy? No and no. However it may well be the best light built yet to help out in small grows while providing supplemental lighting in special situations. The bulb itself is tricky to find, but it’s worth the extra effort. When you are growing with multiple 1000 watters, if you loose a drop of light its no big thing. However, with the limited amount of light we have available to use in our smaller environments, every lumen is precious. So quit your browsing and go take a chance. What have you got to loose besides four or five dollars and a few minutes? You might just be pleasantly surprised!​

Footnote
* 50 Simple Things You Can Do to Save the Earth, Consumer Guide to Home Energy Savings, The Green Consumer​

Last edited:

Budless

Wow that is nice to hear. Now I don't have to make my own reflective housings anymore! Can you pick these up at any hardware store?

Pipedream

Veteran
I found them at "Big Lots" but I'm sure they're available elsewhere. If you look around, you'll likely find a similar one made by a competing manufacturer as well.

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
Nice find Pipedream and nice post. I haven't seen any in Canada yet but I'm sure it's on the way. I just heard the other day that our government is trying to outlaw incandescents so it's just a matter of time before we start seeing better designed CFL's.
The Date I heard was 2012, all incandescents will be no more.

Peace
BG

G

i know they have these or something similar at dome hepot by the looks of the package, i personally never thought of modding them like that...very nice :joint:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very cool. Are the bulbs available in different wattages?

Pipedream

Veteran
Yes, they are available in various wattages. However, as of when I modded mine, this was the largest one I could find. The smaller ones are readily available everywhere. I'm still hoping for a bigger one, but right now, I'm a happy camper. Here's why...

I used my light meter to compare the output of this bulb with that of the two CFLs I'm using now. Measurements were taken at the same distance and in the exact same spot. All I did was to unscrew my existing bulb and replace it with this one. My light meter was left running on the grow-shelf. After giving it a full 10 minute warm-up, the meter read virtually the same. The difference is my existing bulbs use 42 watts instead of 30, and therefore generate more heat and cost more to run. They also cost almost three times as much to buy! But as I said in my original post, the lay-out was all wrong for how I was using them. Here's my old ones installed, they were supplementing my 150w HPS...

Last edited:

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
thanks
Yea this cfl design could cause some cab redesign, but as you point out the benefits are great.

big bang

interesting. i think i will pick a few of these up to supplement the CFLs i've already got. $4 vs. $10 for the normal 42 watt bulbs is reason enough.

Cool. These things would be so badass to use for a PC case grow. I've been looking at PC case grows lately, they are so inspiring. I'm thinking about starting one up just to see how much I could possibly yield from one, it could be an interesting challenge. Great port by they pipedream, very entertaining :yes: Also very informative. K+

But couldn't you try replacing your two 42w, with two 60w cfls? Possibly put a small reflector on them?

Last edited:

Pipedream

Veteran
Yes, I could use 60 watters instead, or even the 125's that joebailon referenced. Both would likely produce a bit more light. However, both options increase heat, start-up costs, and operating expenses. They may also require purchases made online thereby revealing personal information that many growers don't care to release. The object of this excersize is to hopefully move in the opposite direction in each of the three areas.

sugabear_II

Veteran
cool info - I love how it has built in reflector. I actually have a 30 watt daylight cfl that is in the same shape - but alas it didn't come with the reflector. lights of america

G

Nice tech..im into stuff like that, any way i can make reflectors and necessity's without arising suspicion is the way to go. 1 up

- ezra -

.strangelove.
Veteran
thats an excellent design, deinitely worth sharing, thanks again Pipedream, very nice thread.

I dont think I will find "Lights of America" brand n my locale though, lol. Oh well, why is it you Americans have all the consumer choices, oh wait I remember....

Last edited:
G

I found by far the best way to use normal CFLs is with an aluminium reflector. I had great success with CFLs and reflectors.

Sadly i can't find the pics, but I used 8-inch diameter aluminium reflectors with 65w U-tube CFLs, the tubes were vertical and the reflectors did a great job of making sure all the light was sent downwards into the plants.

Stoney75

I'm using some of these right now....got em at Big Lots.
24875IMG_0871-med.jpg

Thanx for the great tip.

S75

I

icon

i use something simular i use 2 cfl's from lights of america. they are security lights
with reflectors $40 at any homedepot or hardware store. they use 65W each & have a lumen output of 6800 each plus a kelvin of 6500 which admitts a nice blue ring around the bulb.all you need to do is by your standard 2 prong extention cord & attach
the wires together. i use them for cloning,seedlings & veg. if you run 2 together or more you have to cover up the little light sensor on the outside of the reflector with some duct tape or something dark. they also offer a lower kelvin (orange) light as well.