What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fresh Air of Nepal

ArteSam

Hi there friends. Few months ago I went to Nepal, after visiting the amaizing and crowded Kathmandu I decided to take a lil breath and went to the mountains.

7 hours by bus and I arrived to Pokhara, a beautiful city close to the quite and nice lake. After two days I start my route in the city of Nayapul (6h. by local bus from Pokhara)

From there I went up to Ulleri (2070m) nice views and hard journey to there. In the last strech there're 1775 steps. It's recomended not to smoke during the journey and do it at the guest house.

After leaving Ulleri I arrived at Gorepani (3500m). I think this is one of the most beautiful villages I've ever been. Local people there are really friendly, you can buy "charas" (hash) from them and the price... eheheh... it depends on your cleverness.
Once there, get up early, go to Poon Hill and enjoy the views (Daulaghiri, several Annapurna's) if you don't get up early, clouds wont let you enjoy.

During the trek you'll see thousand of Ganjah plants even if you go between Sept. and Oct. you'll collect your own charas with many Shadus who come from the mountains. Unfortunately I went las June so I didn't see it.

After few days I went down to Tattopani. The best place to relax. With really really Hot Springs your muscle problems will be solved :chin: I relaxed here for 3 days and because "No Time" ... I had to return to Pokhara. So I went from Tattopani to Beni (9h) and there I went by bus to Pokhara.

These are some pics from there :wave:

G

amazing pics, really wish i could of been there with you... looks like a dream land

glock23

one in the chamber
Veteran
That's so cool! I totally need to get out there some time. I should be in India soon...might as well check out some of the other countries around it too...

G

My friend went there. Said there is cannabis growing everywhere. He also said they are REALLY into hallucinogens.

ArteSam

The strongest hallucinogens I've tried were in India (Benares) with a highly super strong Bhang Lassi.
Half and hour and your trip will start, so take care of the place you are and the people who are with you.

Cheers

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
omg that dudes holding all that stuff with his head! beautiful country id love to go get some landrace nepal genetics.

AzLaker

ArteSam, nice write up and some incredible pictures of the area.
A couple of question for you, did you plan this trip yourself, or did you go though a travel agency, and take a tour? Also if you don't mind me asking, how much did it cost for your length of stay? Thanks .....

AzLaker
:bandit:

ArteSam

Hi there !! How are you?

First of all thanks for your comments.

AzLaker I planned this trip by myself. As I said, I went from Kathmandu to Pokhara by bus (tickets bought in Kathmandu).

In Pokhara I went to a very good Guest House and the family helped me. The man gave me the map I needed and then we went to the Goverment Office to pay 2500 NRs (Nepali Rupees) for the "trekking pass".
After starting I found a kind of Maoist command post and after bargin fpr a while I paid 500 NRs more. So til this moment I paid about 3100 NRs.
The money you pay on food and accomodation depends on your cleverness, but accomodation is about 20 to 150 NRs and food 200-500 NRs per day.

Finally, about the lenght of this trip. I've been from February to June in India and all June in Nepal.

Cheers

G

Wonderful pictures, thanks for sharing. Nepal is high on my list of places to go.

naga_sadu

Hiya Arte-Sam.,

Glad u enjoyed South Asia!!!! BTW: You mentioned India (Benares etc). Have you been to the South? Kerela?? Andra?? And yea, Nepal is excellent, but have never been there in awhile. ANd am really glad to hear that you had a blast!!

Last edited:

alphacat

I'm a little surprised to hear you cut a deal so easily w/ the local Maoist rebels - but right on! At least it's just a relatively small surcharge and not gunpoint banditry.

Would've thought that the civil war might make travel a bit difficult... nice to hear otherwise.

ArteSam

Hi all !! How are you doin' ?

naga sadu I've been in India but not South. I went to Rajasthan (Bikaner, Jodhpur, Ranakpur...), Agra, Goa, Hampi, Puri, Kolkata, Benares and finally Nepal. Maybe next time I'll visit the South. I've heard the best grass of India is in Kerala. :sasmokin:

alphacat Before going Nepal I've been in India. After months of bargin, being cheated, and other adventures... the way I had to do these kind of things changed. What I did with the Maoist rebels is not so "dangerous", I've dealt to the Police Chief (just for keeping some kids out from the jail) in Kolkata and trust me if I tell you he was worst than these rebels. And I wasn't so kind as I was with Maoist... I think it's a matter of respect ..if there's, otherwise treat them as they treat you.
So... I say it again. It depends on your cleverness the trip could cost you three times more ... but if you're lucky then you'll get proper price. (Sorry about my english).
And about the conflicts... Well, the first time I've tried to go there I couldn't because some strikes. In many of them people was injuried and the main roads were cutted, even the flights. But after 15-20 days things changed so I went there fast as hell (by train and bus, of course) :biglaugh: I haven't money enough to go by plane.

That's all folks !

Big Up !!

Last edited:
G

id like to read some more detail on what you mean by "cleverness" exactly and more details on your encounter with the maoists

ArteSam

irishSoCo Talking about cleverness I meant ... they want to take all the money they can from you. After some time you realize about how many money was wasted so you have to negotiate carefully. For example... Do not accept the first prize... neither the second... Try to know wich is the local prize and then bargain properly.

And my encounter with the Maoist soldiers was simply. I made a part of ABC route (Annapurna Base Camp). After half an hour walking through Nayapul (little town North to Pokhara) I found two Maoist soldiers into a little house close to the road I had to take. I started talking to them, explaining I wanted to do the ABC route and.. blah blah... Finally I asked for the way and they showed it to me ... so I take the right way and before I put one step on the way they friendly aimed at me and we started bargaining over. At first they wanted 1000 NRs... of course I wasn't to pay, I explained them that was much money for me... I told them ' I've just taken the money for accomodation and food so if you take it from me I couldn't 'no sleeping no eating'. Finally the prize down and I pay 500 NRs for 10 or 15 days pass. Otherwise if I tried not to bargain they would laught at my face and taken me 1000NRs away... For me... NO WAY...
Apart of this I haven't no more Maoist meetings so the trip was really really OK.

PD: When I was at Kathmandu there was a lil strike. Here the pic I've taken

Big Up !

Last edited:
G

artesam: thanks for sharing so much. its greaat to have all this information, especially if i decide to visit that beautiful area some day. Its a pleasure reading your descriptions

Latest posts

Latest posts